Sons' sorrow

Without wanting to be too harsh on Dowie, I actually think he’s been a large part of our problems over the past couple of seasons. He’s so slow that the defence had to sit very deep, this had the effect of dragging the midfield backwards, or having a large gap between midfield and the defence. It also tended to leave our (typically) one striker very isolated. That was fine when we had Nade as he could hold the ball up until the team could get up the pitch, even when he was clearly finished. None of our other strikers could do this though. 
Broadly speaking, I’m cautiously optimistic that this is a good thing.
It's absolutely a good thing. Dowie has been one of our worst performers this season and isn't exactly the most encouraging of captains. Last season he was ok, he won player of the year which is fair enough but if we're being honest he didn't have much competition. He doesn't read the game all that well, he's slow and he's very prone to misjudging the flight of the ball when going for a clearing header.

If we can get Craig Barr and use Dowie's wage on a solid replacement we'll be far better off.

If only Loy, Perry, Dyer and Paton could find some work on the rigs...

1 hour ago, Ross Forbes said:

As much as I loved Nade during his first spell, the last thing we need is another injury prone striker who doesn't score.

He managed one goal in his final 28 appearances for us.

I can see that argument, but this level is a big drop down from the Championship. The standard in League One is absolutely garbage. I think he would bully defenders and give us a physical presence, which is something that we’ve badly lacked. I don’t see him commanding a huge wage either, which overall would make him worth a punt.

The potential issue would be getting him out of his Troon contract, which probably isn’t feasible.

Edited by FifeSons

18 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

I can see that argument, but this level is a big drop down from the Championship. The standard in League One is absolutely garbage. I think he would bully defenders and give us a physical presence, which is something that we’ve badly lacked. I don’t see him commanding a huge wage either, which overall would make him worth a punt.

The potential issue would be getting him out of his Troon contract, which probably isn’t feasible.

Maybe 3 years ago...

Speaking hypothetically, the signing of Nade wouldn’t be what we need. It’d be a gamble on a player who was able to do the business once upon a time but that time was some years ago, and is now injury riddled. Sound familiar?

What we need now is pace. There’s a chronic lack of it throughout the squad. We should be looking at young, hungry players who want to make their mark on the game, not those looking for a final pay cheque. In that regard the signing of Armour on a development loan was welcome news. A gamble of course, but I’d rather we gamble on youth than injury prone experienced players given our current situation.

Speaking hypothetically, the signing of Nade wouldn’t be what we need. It’d be a gamble on a player who was able to do the business once upon a time but that time was some years ago, and is now injury riddled. Sound familiar?
What we need now is pace. There’s a chronic lack of it throughout the squad. We should be looking at young, hungry players who want to make their mark on the game, not those looking for a final pay cheque. In that regard the signing of Armour on a development loan was welcome news. A gamble of course, but I’d rather we gamble on youth than injury prone experienced players given our current situation.
^^^ this.

We have plenty of experience in the squad but we really lack energy and pace. I also think we have too many players who have nothing to prove. Guys like Paton, Loy, Barr, Dowie and Dyer are on a downward trajectory and they know fine well they wont be playing at a higher level than League 1 in the future. It would be nice to add some young and hungry players looking for a chance to prove themselves.

Does anyone know how many loan slots we have left? I have no idea what the limit is and whether development loans count towards it. We've had a fair bit of success in the loan market before and I'd like to see us try and take advantage of it in this window as well - so long as we avoid young starlets who don't fancy the challenge of playing in League 1.

18 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

Maybe 3 years ago...

I don’t think he’ll have lost his strength and aggression, which have always been his main attributes. He’s never been a player that relied on pace, so the passage of time won’t damage his game to the same extent.

17 minutes ago, Jordo1872 said:

He’s played plenty of games this season...

40 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

I don’t think he’ll have lost his strength and aggression, which have always been his main attributes. He’s never been a player that relied on pace, so the passage of time won’t damage his game to the same extent.

He’s played plenty of games this season...

It is simple. He wasn't that effective in his last 6 months with us. We missed him massively when all the stuff was happening and he was frozen out of the team. But that wasn't down to him being a good option beforehand it was down to him being the only option. Instead we brought in Iain Russell who wasn't anywhere near fit enough.

There's a reason Nade is playing at the level he is and not in our league or even the league below.

Edited by squeezeboxson

11 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

So what do you put it down to? He is past it. I like the guy but he should be nowhere near a side like ours right now or even league 1 level.

I think we all know the reason he’s playing Juniors is to do with his court case and nothing to do with ability.

Edited by FifeSons

Why is Paddy so bitter ? Is he pals with Stevie ?

Did he even apply for the job ?

Anyone got a link for Duffy interview I missed it today.
I understand he did apply. But don't see how he possibly could be bitter about being passed over.

I reckon there's been a beverage or two consumed during the Sunday games and someone didn't take his phone off him before he was let loose on Facebook!

2 hours ago, FifeSons said:

I think we all know the reason he’s playing Juniors is to do with his court case and nothing to do with ability.

I don't believe that one little bit. I'm sure I'm not the only one either. If the likes of David Goodwillie can find himself playing in League 2 then Nade could too.