Sons' sorrow

I’d love to have your optimism (pun intended!) but how are we financing any squad changes? Are there any of our squad we’re going to be able to ship out to free up budget for an in?
To be fair, since the start of the season we are 3 players down on what we started with. Allardice, Little, Aitchison and Thomas have all left. Thomas may well return and we have brought Armour in so that would still be 2 players down. I can't imagine Armour is costing much, if anything at all.

If reports are to be believed Dyer wants out. I'd also take a guess that Spencer would happily walk if he had a deal lined up elsewhere so you could be looking at another 2 right there. Spencer is a young guy who desperately needs games and wont be on a big contract like others so it's a real possibility he'd walk. Duffy clearly doesn't rate him so there's no point in him being here.

I'm still confident we'll see another 2 arrive in this window. If we can punt the likes of Dyer and Spencer it may be more. Duffy is an experienced campaigner, I don't think he'd have taken the job if the only scope he had for change in January was a development loan from Morton.

Joe Nuttall starting upfront for Blackburn, how did he do on loan at you lot?
Managed eight minutes of game time, during which he played a nice pass, and passed a ball out of play.
Stevie Aitken isn't very well known for spotting attacking potential tbh. We also had Eamon Brophy play 2nd fiddle to Steven fucking Craig. He's now an established striker in the top league with English Championship clubs showing an interest.

They aren't the only 2 attackers that failed to flourish at Dumbarton under Aitken. The list is pretty damning.

I’d love to have your optimism (pun intended!) but how are we financing any squad changes? Are there any of our squad we’re going to be able to ship out to free up budget for an in?

Maybe I am being , ahem, optimistic, but I imagine funds will be available for jim, and I doubt we’re anymore skint than the others in the league, and they’re signing people

Maybe I am being , ahem, optimistic, but I imagine funds will be available for jim, and I doubt we’re anymore skint than the others in the league, and they’re signing people
Not so sure, I suspect the consecutive budget busting actives of a certain Mr Aitken have left the club without much if any reserve and whatever we probably left was blown getting rid of him, anyone leaving just now is probably helping balancing the books.

Jim may yet be able to wheel and deal his way out of this, for example, if we can agree terminations with the likes of Dyer and Spencer and work contacts/get more development loans we could get some youth and energy to blend with the existing experience.

Don’t where the reports about Dyer wanting to leave are coming from , but if I was a player reading Pie and Bovril and seeing* all the negative remarks about me it is not surprising that he wants out. I have supported the Sons through good and bad times and although this is a bad time i am sure we will get through this. My opinion of Dyer is that he gives his best and although it may not be good enough for some of out fans he is all we have in that position. I agree that we should have got rid of Aitken when we were relegated and who knows we might be in a better position than we are now, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. I hope that we will turn the corner soon but at the moment I see our priority as staying in this division. Constantly putting players down is not the way to get us out of this hole. We have a threadbare squad, ravaged with injuries which I have not witnessed in a long time, players playing out of position doing their best to get us the results we want which unfortunately is not happening. Hopefully Duffy can sort it out but it won’t happen overnight. Isn’t is great to be a Dumbarton supporter

21 minutes ago, optimistic said:

Anyone fancy replying to allan on Facebook? emoji849.png

Oh man, just what we need.

He's trying to argue that Duffy hasn't been any more attacking that Aitken :lol: We scored an average of 0.88 goals per league game under Aitken. Duffy might have had major issues in front of goal, but we're still averaging 1.54 goals per game under him in the league. That's a pretty sizeable improvement.

Damn. Damn. Damn. I couldn't help myself and went and posted that on the group. Pray for my notifications. 

Edited by Ross Forbes

10 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

He's trying to argue that Duffy hasn't been any more attacking that Aitken :lol: We scored an average of 0.88 goals per league game under Aitken. Duffy might have had major issues in front of goal, but we're still averaging 1.54 goals per game under him in the league. That's a pretty sizeable improvement.

Damn. Damn. Damn. I couldn't help myself and went and posted that on the group. Pray for my notifications. 

You’re in for it now...

38 minutes ago, Curler said:

Don’t where the reports about Dyer wanting to leave are coming from , but if I was a player reading Pie and Bovril and seeing* all the negative remarks about me it is not surprising that he wants out. I have supported the Sons through good and bad times and although this is a bad time i am sure we will get through this. My opinion of Dyer is that he gives his best and although it may not be good enough for some of out fans he is all we have in that position. I agree that we should have got rid of Aitken when we were relegated and who knows we might be in a better position than we are now, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. I hope that we will turn the corner soon but at the moment I see our priority as staying in this division. Constantly putting players down is not the way to get us out of this hole. We have a threadbare squad, ravaged with injuries which I have not witnessed in a long time, players playing out of position doing their best to get us the results we want which unfortunately is not happening. Hopefully Duffy can sort it out but it won’t happen overnight. Isn’t is great to be a Dumbarton supporter

If you’re a player and you bother reading pie and bovril, you need your head examined. 

I was typing when you posted and was so glad to see my first sentence already backed up.

You’re in for it now...

Been refreshing Facebook every few seconds. Palms sweating. Braced.
If you’re a player and you bother reading pie and bovril, you need your head examined. 

Obviously it’s a personal thing, but I only let criticism bother me if it came from someone who was important. If I was Dyer (or any other player) and I was being criticised by a bunch of folk who’ve never played a senior game of football in their puff it wouldn’t bother me one bit.

Footballers, like politicians (and journalists...), are in a job that everyone likes to think they could do more effectively. Taking public criticism from outsiders is part and parcel of that. As long as it doesn’t cross the line into personal abuse then I’d like to think most people will understand where things stand, even if they don’t necessarily like it.

3 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

Been refreshing Facebook every few seconds. Palms sweating. Braced.

Obviously it’s a personal thing, but I only let criticism bother me if it came from someone who was important. If I was Dyer (or any other player) and I was being criticised by a bunch of folk who’ve never played a senior game of football in their puff it wouldn’t bother me one bit.

Footballers, like politicians (and journalists...), are in a job that everyone likes to think they could do more effectively. Taking public criticism from outsiders is part and parcel of that. As long as it doesn’t cross the line into personal abuse then I’d like to think most people will understand where things stand, even if they don’t necessarily like it.

1 hour ago, Ross Forbes said:

I see one of our Facebook fans has said "we should be walking this league".

:lol:

How many times is Graham Welsh gonna post something zoomerish before you guys realise he's a complete walloper?

Stop falling for it.

EDIT : walloper he may be, but he probably can type complete instead of compete :lol:

Edited by Boghead ranter

That would be sad about Dowie. Possibly the right time though. He was superb last season, but this season has maybe looked one too far for him. I have no idea if he’d be one of the higher earners, but it should free up a wage for a replacement. Saying that, if we can’t get one in time for next week, we’re in even deeper trouble.

Edited by FifeSons

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

EDIT : walloper he may be, but he probably can type complete instead of compete :lol:

Scratch that, hes just used the word 'suppost'. Which, going by the context  is supposed to be supposed. 

Gave him waaaaay too much credit, previously .

Edited by Boghead ranter