Sons' sorrow

Finally a signing. However, with it effectively being Armour in for Thomas and the usual pre-match injury list, I don't see it being enough for us to take anything from the game tomorrow. There's no talk of trialists, which I'd find unlikely anyway since they would need to be free agents, which is difficult to find at this time of year. That means we take eleven fit outfield players to Brechin, one of whom has apparently needed an operation for most of the season. The same story as nearly every week this season. Its an omnishambles, and you can really only feel sorry for Duffy.

There's nothing to pick up.

At the back we've got serious issues. Left back hasn't been good all season. First choice centre half injured for a bit part of it and still some way off returning. Our back up centre half is out injured. The guy we brought in on loan wasn't good enough.  Midfield? The guy who is supposed to be creating for us either only does it from set pieces or has nobody up front to aim for. We've got no quality out wide.  Up front? We don't really have an out and out striker right now. Our big signing is injured and isnt coming back any time soon. 

We've got 5 players sitting out injured who have probably tied up enough wages for 6 or 7 signings.

Duffy was never going to come in and turn things around. Punting Aitken was the right football decision but unfortunately it did nothing to help on the finance front. We're hamstrung by legacy issues that the board have had to deal with, compensation for Aitken, a significant drop in revenue and periods of limited cash flow. The only way Duffy can change things is to move guys on and freshen up the side - the one thing we're struggling to do because we're financially hamstrung.

Fans need a degree of realism. We're a part time team who don't have anything like the highest crowds in this division compared to other part timers. We've got minimal walk-up fans. We've lost season ticket holders. Our former manager went down the route of perceived quality over quantity and have a squad that is handsomely paid by League One part time standards but that isnt performing. Making changes will happen but wholesale changes aren't an option.

It's going to be very difficult between now and May and this summer will give our board a whole host of obstacles to overcome.

Remember how great some people thought going down would be...
I don't recall anyone saying it would be great, that's a gross misrepresentation. I was one of those who recognised that we had come to the end of our Championship cycle and we actually deserved to go down, as much as Alloa deserved to win the Play-Off Final. We were tired, directionless and needed to regroup.

None of that sentiment can be held as a factor in the grim season we've witnessed thus far - that is all down to decisions, events, finances, whatever within the football club.

8 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

And to think some of our support still view Aitken as a god.

His absolutely shambolic recruitment process has ruined us. I can't begin to fathom what he was thinking.

Completely agree. The only positive is that if he’d still been in charge we’d be rock bottom and cut adrift of even Stenny. The damage he’s done is going to take a long time to repair, though.

4 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

You guys obviously have bigger problems but did Ian Murray's team sit in so deep when he was your manager?

In his final season in charge, yes. It was one of the reasons why I wasn't gutted to see him leave us.

3 minutes ago, ewan_fife said:

Joe Nuttall starting upfront for Blackburn, how did he do on loan at you lot?

Managed eight minutes of game time, during which he played a nice pass, and passed a ball out of play.

Edited by Ross Forbes