Sons' sorrow

Hopefully Colm hasn't stolen my thunder here. My annual big statistical review of the year is now online. Read it and impress all your mates with your knowledge, or save it 'til 'Only an Excuse' is on - it's a far better way to waste half an hour of your life.

http://talesfromtherock.weebly.com/home/2018-in-numbers#

You can also read the previous versions below:

As always, please keep all negative feedback to yourself. Feel free to point out any typos though, I'm sure I've left some in there to test you all..

I think it's time for people to move on.

Aitken is clearly unhappy. From a footballing viewpoint it was correct to dismiss him, even if the associated compensation has put a little more unwanted pressure on club finances. I had sympathy with the injuries the squad had (and continues to have) and I don't think that all of the players were  giving him 100% but Aitken's conduct since his dismissal hasn't been particularly great. Some of the comments he's made on radio and on social media have been unfair and unhelpful. The club has done the right thing in avoiding a tit-for-tat argument with him in public and it's now an issue that's solely between Aitken and his former employer to formalise any compensation arrangements. The same goes for Colm. He was a good servant to the club. He's decided that he doesnt want to continue in his role at this time. He's making comments  that neither the club, nor any individual club officials, are responding to in public at this time.

Then we have Aitken's Army. I'm not going to criticise them - they spend their hard earned cash following the club all over Scotland. They're also not on Pie n Bovril to defend themselves. Its easy at times for people to bite and to get into arguments on social media. It's easy to block them, ignore them or otherwise not engage with them. Don't like what they say? Put them on ignore. You'll be happier for it. We can't keep in-fighting, wallowing in misery (as much as things aren't great right now) and dragging the atmosphere down to rock bottom.

It's a difficult season for the club. The board have worked hard to clean up the mess they inherited from previous chairmen. They're working hard to manage the club in a way that doesn't put our future at risk. That doesnt just mean firefighting - there are areas of the club that we as fans would like to see improved and the board have their own aims and ambitions in that respect. Again there are legacy issues that need to  be addressed as well as trying to make positive changes going forward. There's also the serious issue of Brabco and their immediate intentions for their shareholding.

We can't afford to fill in any gaps in public knowledge with imagined problems - we've got enough genuine problems to deal with without inventing new ones. The board as as open as possible and are willing to engage with fans. Want to know something? Ask. If they can't make everything public then it's because there are commercial or other sensitivities involved but they've so far been true to their commitment to being as open as they can be. Similarly we've got enough battles ahead of us without trying to pick more fights with fellow fans or former employees that we don't need to. Tomorrow is the first day of the new year and I'd hope that we as a support can start afresh, concentrate on the things that are actually important to our immediate and our longer term future and let old arguments go long after they've been worth fighting about.

The new board have been clear from the outset that the days of the "them and us" culture are over. There is no "them" - there is only "us". We need to make sure that we're focused on the important issues in 2019 and don't allow ourselves to be distracted by in-fighting, by people who have grievances that the club will deal with in a professional capacity or by extra problems that we're quick to invent for ourselves .
Whilst I've happily given you a greenie BSF for an excellent post, the fact remains that many folk just LOVE a keyboard rammy; the internet has given a platform to all sorts of opinions, emotions and conspiracy theories and has above all provided direct access to debates and individuals in a way which never previously existed. The genie is now out of the bottle and it will not return.

What recent events concerning DFC demonstrate however is the folly of managers, players or officials getting down with the kids on Facebook and Twitter. There are enough bams already orbiting cyberspace without the need of vain, over-confident and underperforming Managers joining them.

At least Duffy seems to be keeping his counsel in that regard [emoji106]

Hopefully Colm hasn't stolen my thunder here. My annual big statistical review of the year is now online. Read it and impress all your mates with your knowledge, or save it 'til 'Only an Excuse' is on - it's a far better way to waste half an hour of your life.
http://talesfromtherock.weebly.com/home/2018-in-numbers#
You can also read the previous versions below:
As always, please keep all negative feedback to yourself. Feel free to point out any typos though, I'm sure I've left some in there to test you all..
Very well done, thoroughly enjoyed reading that whilst at the same time I wanted to jump into the bath with a toaster. The club could do worse than pass this sort of info onto the gaffer.

Some horrendous stats in there.

9 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Very well done, thoroughly enjoyed reading that whilst at the same time I wanted to jump into the bath with a toaster. The club could do worse than pass this sort of info onto the gaffer.

Some horrendous stats in there.

The league win percentage excluding games against Brechin really took me back. I mean, I knew that it was rancid, but 15% looks incredibly bad in black and white.

When DFC are looking for a 'Head of Statistical Performance' or whatever they call people who keep stats for Premier League clubs, then they know where I am :lol:

Whilst I've happily given you a greenie BSF for an excellent post, the fact remains that many folk just LOVE a keyboard rammy; the internet has given a platform to all sorts of opinions, emotions and conspiracy theories and has above all provided direct access to debates and individuals in a way which never previously existed. The genie is now out of the bottle and it will not return.

What recent events concerning DFC demonstrate however is the folly of managers, players or officials getting down with the kids on Facebook and Twitter. There are enough bams already orbiting cyberspace without the need of vain, over-confident and underperforming Managers joining them.

At least Duffy seems to be keeping his counsel in that regard [emoji106]

“managers, players or officials getting down with the kids on Facebook and Twitter”
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I've just noticed that David Galt, who won a move to Alloa in the summer after some tremendous performances for Queen's Park over the past few seasons is on Cambuslang Rangers' transfer list. Given he's unlikely to be on huge money, and is proven to be a good player in this division, we could do an awful lot worse. He was a player I was hopeful we might go for in the summer.

1 hour ago, Ross Forbes said:

I've just noticed that David Galt, who won a move to Alloa in the summer after some tremendous performances for Queen's Park over the past few seasons is on Cambuslang Rangers' transfer list. Given he's unlikely to be on huge money, and is proven to be a good player in this division, we could do an awful lot worse. He was a player I was hopeful we might go for in the summer.

Didn't his short tenure at Alloa end in somewhat mysterious circumstances? Any more news on #kitmangeddon?

16 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

Didn't his short tenure at Alloa end in somewhat mysterious circumstances? Any more news on #kitmangeddon?

It did. Seems he picked up a head injury, vanished for a wee while, was released and then rocked up back in the Juniors without making an appearance for them. 

8 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Aye, much like his pal Aitken he has deleted his post.

Minter.

So he has :lol:

8 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

It did. Seems he picked up a head injury, vanished for a wee while, was released and then rocked up back in the Juniors without making an appearance for them. 

So he has :lol:

Can't seem to think of another Queen's Park signing for a Championship side and leaving without kicking a ball in anger. :whistle

5 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

Can't seem to think of another Queen's Park signing for a Championship side and leaving without kicking a ball in anger. :whistle

:lol:

Possibly the only non-Dumbarton supporter out there who was delighted to see Aitken sacked.

Happy New year to all Sons fans when it comes. I'm sure in footballing terms we are all pretty happy to see the back of 2018. Hopefully 2019 is better for us.
Aye, what a difference a year makes right enough; who would have believed that our new stadium would end up a zero-seater and we'd be entering 2019 without a shirt pressed ? Anyway, a very Happy and Prosperous New Year to everyone as you suggest, including the Aitkenistas amongst us.

14 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

2018 is nearly awa'

There's no even wan mair kick o' the ba'

Social meeja is full of every silly ass

The high point of the year belongs to Froxylias

Happy New Year - to every Son of the Rock!

happy-new-year-colorful-fireworks-over-city-animated-gif.gif

Stephen Watt has nowt to lose sleep about :lol:

HNY Wilf, and to all other Sons.