Sons' sorrow

Just now, FifeSons said:

There’s no chance of us getting 4th, I wouldn’t even be entertaining that idea. It’s all about avoiding the catastrophe of a successive relegation.

I tend to agree, but merely avoiding relegation this season could also be a catastrophe going into next season. Being down on budget before a ball is kicked means any other drops in budget from the football side have an even bigger effect. If we finish 8th this year, you can bet that we'll have a budget fit for 8th or less next season. It's pretty much imperative that we finish as close to 4th as possible, we have 5 league fixtures until Duffy can potentially change the squad (3 of those games at home), if we can pick up home wins against Brechin, Airdrie and Stranraer, then we won't be a kick in the arse away from 4th at that point IMO. I know that's a big ask given our form but under Duffy we have 2 wins from 2 at home, so hopefully that continues.

FWIW there is nothing to be gained by the fans admitting defeat here. I watched the game and it’s clear that we need a heart, a spine and a defence. From that point of view a fit Barr, Dowie and Thomson would assist us at the moment. Three bad goals to lose - two set pieces and a volley. It’s early days for Duffy.

Here's a funny little stat I just stumbled across. Did you know that only Arbroath have had more shots on target than us this season?

They've had 77 to our 69. They've scored 34 in that time (44.16%) to our 19 (27.54%).

Guess that just about sums up our issues. We concede plenty, don't score and most people are in agreement that midfield is an issue.

Good luck, Jim!

JD will sort this but needs time.Whoever came in had to dEal with SA mess.I am all for backing him 100 percent just as iwas 100 percent behind replacing SA.Its going to take time and more than a few lucky breaks to get us back up the table, but i always look to the example of stranraer from 1998 who went on a winning run of God knows how many games to lift the trophy on the last day.Real life roy of the rovers stuff but possible.Lots of points left to win, so 4th place not impossible.Lets just get behind the manager and team and support them the best we can.Anyone criticizing JD now is being way too harsh...the guy has accepted a disaster and we need to support him.

JD will sort this but needs time.Whoever came in had to dEal with SA mess.I am all for backing him 100 percent just as iwas 100 percent behind replacing SA.Its going to take time and more than a few lucky breaks to get us back up the table, but i always look to the example of stranraer from 1998 who went on a winning run of God knows how many games to lift the trophy on the last day.Real life roy of the rovers stuff but possible.Lots of points left to win, so 4th place not impossible.Lets just get behind the manager and team and support them the best we can.Anyone criticizing JD now is being way too harsh...the guy has accepted a disaster and we need to support him.
Are people criticising him? I can't say I've seen much criticism levelled at him so far.

If he makes errors with certain decisions people are quite right to highlight them (Paton up front, Gallagher wide for example). Even though he's inherited a squad of crocks and undesirables I expect us to be better than what we mustered up on Saturday. That being said, he's still experimenting with his squad, but he does need to figure things out fairly quickly before the current predicament gets much worse, with January just around the corner I'm confident he will.

I don't think anyone isn't fully behind him and I'm certain everyone is willing to cut him some slack considering he's only been in the job about a month, even if they do have slight criticisms on the odd decision.

3 hours ago, Ross Forbes said:

Here's a funny little stat I just stumbled across. Did you know that only Arbroath have had more shots on target than us this season?

They've had 77 to our 69. They've scored 34 in that time (44.16%) to our 19 (27.54%).

Guess that just about sums up our issues. We concede plenty, don't score and most people are in agreement that midfield is an issue.

Good luck, Jim!

If you're a glass half full kind of guy then this could be seen as a positive. Obviously that conversion rate is not good enough, but if we're creating all those chances then it's just a matter of converting them. Easier said than done, of course, but we have players who can score goals - Gallagher can do it at this level, Thomas has the ability to score from just about anywhere, Forbes will pitch in when we get him further up the pitch, Bobby Barr whilst not being great has still pitched in with a few goals and should probably add more goals to his game. If we're looking to ship out some players and add to the strike force in January then things might start to change. Priority in January will be defence though - we essentially need at least 3 players across the back line if Mango isn't going to come back and feature. 

I also think replacing Hutton/Carswell/Spencer with Ryan Thomson would have a good effect on the team. He's almost a forgotten man after basically running himself into the ground earlier in the season.

21 hours ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

FWIW there is nothing to be gained by the fans admitting defeat here. I watched the game and it’s clear that we need a heart, a spine and a defence. From that point of view a fit Barr, Dowie and Thomson would assist us at the moment. Three bad goals to lose - two set pieces and a volley. It’s early days for Duffy.

I don't think anyone's admitting defeat, just that relegation is a very real possibility and avoiding it at all costs is a must.

If you're a glass half full kind of guy then this could be seen as a positive. Obviously that conversion rate is not good enough, but if we're creating all those chances then it's just a matter of converting them. Easier said than done, of course, but we have players who can score goals - Gallagher can do it at this level, Thomas has the ability to score from just about anywhere, Forbes will pitch in when we get him further up the pitch, Bobby Barr whilst not being great has still pitched in with a few goals and should probably add more goals to his game. If we're looking to ship out some players and add to the strike force in January then things might start to change. Priority in January will be defence though - we essentially need at least 3 players across the back line if Mango isn't going to come back and feature. 
I also think replacing Hutton/Carswell/Spencer with Ryan Thomson would have a good effect on the team. He's almost a forgotten man after basically running himself into the ground earlier in the season.
That's a very good point about Thomson. What the hell is up with him? He just seemed to disappear without much mention of how bad his injury was.

42 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:
1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

That's a very good point about Thomson. What the hell is up with him? He just seemed to disappear without much mention of how bad his injury was.

He was out doing mad stretches and that with the physio before the Stenhousemuir game but I have no idea what is actually up with him.  I'm guessing it's knee related based on the routine he was put through.

I think talk of relegation is a bit premature. This league is likely to be the most competitive and close in Scotland this season. It's not as if we are cut adrift such as dundee/st mirren/Huddersfield etc in other leagues where the season does indeed look bleak. We will win games we don't look like winning this season and lose some we think we deserve to win. Yes the position at the minute is not good but we made the change we all wanted at the right time. Duffy has time to come in, see who he fancies and doesn't fancy, experiment, then do whatever dealing he can in January to make things a bit more rosy. All of us were delighted with the squad we signed up in the summer, despite SA being the man to sign them up. On paper they are decent, let's just hope JD can get them firing again. I'd love a cup run this season to get some buzz about the place but I'm sure JD sees Saturday as a free hit and another chance to try stuff.

In 2011/12, we had just 4 points more at this stage of the season than we have now and ended up in third place and winning the play offs.

Really want to see Ryan Thomson back in the team he gives us the grit and fight we lack in the middle of the park.

11 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Alright lads, here's a podcast with erstwhile Sons captain Mick Dunlop.

CLICK

He talks about winning the Third Division, getting captaincy after Gordon Lennon's untimely death, and leaving the club.

Looking forward to this so much I've decided to save it for the commute to Uni on Monday.

Nothing gets you through a Monday morning in November like some lower league Scottish football chat.

On 11/21/2018 at 14:03, albundy said:

Someone mentioned Gasparotto was a free agent a while back, is he taking a break from football?

Would think offering a short term deal if he wants to get back playing would be a realistic opinion.

The trail goes cold after Morton. No-one seems to know where Froxylias is either.......