Sons' sorrow

On 22/10/2018 at 19:17, sonsrealfan said:

I dont agree with duffy but it is what it is

If u ask me i think someone with a passion for the club and a connection with the fans is what we need. Paddy flannery or craig brittain would have been a good choice. 

I will support duffy and the team even if he wasnt my first choice. I just hope others will to! 

On 22/10/2018 at 20:39, lionel wickson said:

In that case following your logic and selection criteria,  we should never have appointed Jackie Stewart (ex Airdrie player,  ex Albion Rovers manager), Alex Wright (ex Partick Thistle player, ex St Mirren & Dunfermline manager), Billy Lamont (ex Hamilton Accies player, ex East Stirlingshire manager), our three highest achieving managers of modern times. Do you think Jim Duffy is a bigger gamble than Paddy Flannery or Craig Brittain?

Still waiting...:whistle

Still waiting...:whistle

I know Craig Brittain well. He has no interest in going into football management. Paddy has no league management experience. If commitment to DFC were a qualification for the job, then the P&B poster known as Ross Forbes would be the best shout IMHO. However it isn’t and we seem to have made the right choice.

Right, here's one for ye (possibly @RossForbes ).

When Murray came in, was it the summer? Did he have a clean slate to build on as there was a lot of guys out of contract or was he given the job mid season?
In his first transfer window, who were some of the guys he attracted to the club, any that stand out for you as excellent players or have gone on to have decent careers? Was he a fan of the loan market and if so, any particular club?

Apologies for all the questions at just after 6 on a Sunday morning but I'm just trying to possibly guage where we go in January regarding what kind of transfer action we'll see.
Thanks in advance.

When Murray came in, was it the summer? Did he have a clean slate to build on as there was a lot of guys out of contract or was he given the job mid season?
In his first transfer window, who were some of the guys he attracted to the club, any that stand out for you as excellent players or have gone on to have decent careers? Was he a fan of the loan market and if so, any particular club?

Apologies for all the questions at just after 6 on a Sunday morning but I'm just trying to possibly guage where we go in January regarding what kind of transfer action we'll see.
Thanks in advance.
Murray came in around this time of the year, so his hands were pretty much tied. He made an instant impact though, we were rock bottom of the league with a team of mostly League 1/2nd Division jobbers and he transformed them into a competitive Championship/1st Division team.

Murray always brought in decent loan signings and I felt he never really went mental during a transfer window. His first window he kept things simple by improving the positions that needed improving, a new left back was one of his first moves IIRC.

Murray's best trait was getting the best out of what he had IMO. We never really went out and signed up and coming youngsters, he tended to favour the older pro dropping down from the top league and compliment them with the odd youngster and/or loan player. The core of his squad was one that was already in place before he left in the shape of Andy Graham, Agnew, Chris Turner, Mark Gilhaney, Garry Fleming and Bryan Prunty. The best permanent signing he added to the squad was Paul McGinn, but I believe he came via Jack Ross and is PFA contacts. Best loan signing was young Chris Kane who struck up a very fruitful partnership with Colin Nish (the older pro type that Murray favoured). My one main complaint at the time was his lack of finding and signing guys from leagues below us with good potential like Andy Stirling, Robert Thomson etc etc.

Basically, I wouldn't expect a complete overhaul, that isn't really his style, he will look to strengthen any main areas of weakness.

Thanks in advance.

When Ian Murray joined us he had an immediate impact. In the league, our first results were to win 4-3 away to Falkirk and 3-0 away to Morton. He did, however, virtually have a full pre-season to get us playing how he wanted because it was roughly a month after he joined that he managed his first game due to postponements.

In January I think he’ll look to move quickly to get players in. With us he seemed to have targets lined up before the window opened.

In terms of playing style it’s hard to tell because with Jack Ross as assistant we played a lot of very successful attacking football but in his final season without Ross he adopted a more counter attacking based system. One thing he is big on is professionalism and fitness. A fundamental change he for us was to introduce a sports scientist to get the players in the best shape possible.

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Thanks in advance.

IMG_1034.JPG.cb7bc568b029eb65ca0ef6fb1498697f.JPG

21 hours ago, Sons Fan said:

I’m sure there are many many reasons but I still don’t understand why a community stadium isn’t look at for the back of levengrove park. Bridge across to the town. Training pitches that the club can use and local boys club can use. 

Isn't the park "publicly" owned? Community stadium or not, I'd doubt you'd get permission. Would be like trying to build it on the common.

Edited by Old Scrotum

8 hours ago, FifeSons said:

Silly question, but because Dom Thomas has also featured for Killie this season (albeit in the League Cup) would he be allowed to play for a third club?

I was trying to think of an example of a player who has played for a parent club and two loan clubs, but off the top of my head I can't think of anyone we've had. Certainly not recently (although it is early - so I could be forgetting someone obvious).

@Skyline Drifter will know though.

15 minutes ago, Ross Forbes said:

I was trying to think of an example of a player who has played for a parent club and two loan clubs, but off the top of my head I can't think of anyone we've had. Certainly not recently (although it is early - so I could be forgetting someone obvious).

@Skyline Drifter will know though.

No, he cant.

Edited to add - He could if the 3rd club was Lowland League or lower but thats hardly realistic.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

9 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Interesting. That would mean, unless Killie plan to play him, we might have a decent chance of keeping him beyond January...

Keeping him would be an astounding bit of business. He's played in three games for us, under three different managers, and been arguably our best player each time. He's got two goals and two assists already as well.

Dom Thomas is far too good for us. I think it’s clear to see that he’s the best player in the league.

I’d basically given up on us keeping him beyond January but now I know that I’m slightly more optimistic as I doubt he’d walk into the Kilmarnock team.

Iv heard his brother works for C&G, I wonder if he might be on the tracks come January.

I love Dom Thomas. His effort and passion during the games is excellent and he has great ability, he's a player similar to Stanton and Stirling in that he can carry us up the park and has a bit of magic in him. Him throwing the ball at Davidson to offer him a touch of it after skinning him on Saturday was excellent banter too. If we can hold onto him I'll be delighted.

He's a strange one. Quite clearly a quality player and can rip full backs for fun when he wants to. The problem was he could go missing for large periods which is clearly the reason clubs like Dumbarton and QoS have been given his service.

You have to imagine he'll eventually screw the nut and get some consistency. When he does, whatever club has him at the time are in for a treat :)