Sons' sorrow

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Fair play to the guy, but poetry in general just isn't for me, and I don't know what half of those hipster words mean.

I quite enjoyed his cup final poem over the video.

He read some of his poetry before the Falkirk game at the end of last season. I really enjoyed it in person.

42 minutes ago, microdave said:

He does a fair bit but this one has an accompanying video for the cup final earlier this year and always worth another look! 

Duff Man says, brings a tear to the eye. Oh Yeah.

3 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

Screen Shot 2018-10-23 at 15.19.16.png

The video above, taken at Muirton Park ‘circa 1973–74’, is a series of haphazard clips that doesn’t capture much goalmouth excitement, never mind goals. But I love it.

Televised games at Muirton were rare in any case, but homemade footage is a priceless journey back in time. Shorn of anaesthetic highlights to dictate to you how it was, this captures something more recognisable. The film was made a couple of years before my first Saints game at Muirton, but this is how I remember it: the lazy atmosphere around the ground, the football a little less aggressive. And that early scene outside the ground had me holding the impossible hope I’d see my grandad, who held a season ticket for 70 years.

A wee bit of digging adds a  colour to the footage. The opposition is clearly Dumbarton, and from the autumnal trees  it’s possible to say confidently that it was filmed on October 7, 1972; Dumbarton won 2-0 with a goal in each half.

That makes it a significant game for both sides. Dumbarton, who had won the old second division title earlier that year, were struggling in the top league. This win would end up their first of the season and would prove crucial: the Sons would eventually stay up on goal difference.

Significant for Saints fans too, because this is the last footage I know of of Willie Ormond-era St Johnstone. A few weeks later, Tommy Docherty would resign as Scotland boss and Willie would step up to replace him. And the manager who’d succeed Ormond was Sons’ boss Jackie Stewart; perhaps it was his team’s performance on this day that impressed the Saints board.

This was the autumn of a Saints team etched into memory. John Connolly had gone earlier in 1972, but here are Donaldson, Lambie and Argue, and Henry Hall wearing that number 8 shirt. Kenny Aird and Jim Pearson too. What a privilege to get a last shuddery glimpse of them.

For Dumbarton, this game marked the breakthrough of Tom McAdam, later of Celtic. He was just 18 and got one of Dumbarton’s goals. He’d prove a long-lasting tormentor of Saints – 17 years later, in November 1989, he scored the winner for Airdrie at McDiarmid that blew the 1989-90 First Division championship race open. (McAdam was injured and sitting in the stand for Saints’ famous 3-1 victory later that same season.)

Thought this would be of interest to many here. I was at the game which marked the start of Tom McAdam's seven game consecutive scoring run. Great post by Mr Heliums.

5 minutes ago, Old Scrotum said:

I was there.

It's the first time I've seen You Tube footage of that season. We had televised games of Hearts away in the League Cup (BBC), and in the league of Partick away, and Aberdeen at home (both on STV's Scotsport), but apart from the original broadcasts, I've never seen them since. I imagine all of these will have been wiped in the intervening years.

38 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

It's the first time I've seen You Tube footage of that season. We had televised games of Hearts away in the League Cup (BBC), and in the league of Partick away, and Aberdeen at home (both on STV's Scotsport), but apart from the original broadcasts, I've never seen them since. I imagine all of these will have been wiped in the intervening years.

A lot of the STV footage was lost in a fire I believe.

1 hour ago, lionel wickson said:

Very easy to pick out the legend that is  Roy McCormack around the 50 second mark. Also Davie Wilson, Gordon Menzies and Peter Coleman are clearly seen.

I spotted Charlie Gallagher too.  And Johnny Graham.

Edited by rockson

30 minutes ago, rockson said:

I spotted Charlie Gallagher too.  And Johnny Graham.

Charlie Gallagher didn't play that day. Who's taking our free kick at 1min 13? Classic Kenny Jenkins long throw to big Roy to flick on at 42 seconds. How many goals did we score from that move in the early 70s?!

Edited by lionel wickson
typo

2 hours ago, lionel wickson said:

Thought this would be of interest to many here. I was at the game which marked the start of Tom McAdam's seven game consecutive scoring run. Great post by Mr Heliums.

Cheers – I wasn't at this game, but  vividly recall the following season's 3-3 draw at Muirton and my Grandad's complaints about the 'tippy-tappy' football Saints played that day.  Thought every game of football would be like that, but only I've only seen one 3-3 draw since.

Cheers – I wasn't at this game, but  vividly recall the following season's 3-3 draw at Muirton and my Grandad's complaints about the 'tippy-tappy' football Saints played that day.  Thought every game of football would be like that, but only I've only seen one 3-3 draw since.
That was the first in a run of 3 consecutive 3-3 draws for us, against yourselves, Celtic away where we conceded very late on and Hibernian at home.

28 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

i happened upon 3-3 draw at hamilton season 89/90 ....cant remember why maybe sons werent playing that day.same one?