Sons' sorrow

5 hours ago, Old Scrotum said:

Hampden was the worst. 100,000 or so to share a dozen toilets, so all the guys (except me, of course, I was brought up better :whistle) used to pee where they stood - the women too, probably - so you'd wind up with the back of your trousers soaking and the terracing turning into nothing but a sea of urine. You were so packed in you couldn't turn round to gub the b*****d behind you.

14206206_10153655278061574_6761857517651329469_o.jpg

Even the drunks were well dressed in those days!

5 hours ago, Old Scrotum said:

Worst terracing violence ever at Boghead?

Half-time against Hearts when the bottles were flying at the Garshake end. First game after promotion in 1972. League Cup. 1-0 Sons, Big Roy header in the second half.

2529.jpg

Our first encounter with the "Gorgie boot boys".

13 hours ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

There were invalid cars (The Invacar) at Boghead sometimes, usually when the Old Firm came to visit. I wonder if any old timers remember the first time Rangers came to visit Boghead on top league business in over 50 years? Quite seriously there was an old dear whose last wish was to see Rangers one more time before she died. She was lifted into place. in her hospital bed by a crane (I am not making this up) at the old stand (Dumbuie Avenue side). Anyway, here's a photo of some Invacars at an OF game in the 70s. Nae numbers on the Celtic shirts, only the shorts.  

invalids.jpg

Remember the game, not the old wifie. Wonder if they made her pay at the gate?

Reading through that Facebook thread and the P&B response this morning, I wouldn’t call it epic. I found the whole thing rather sad actually. What we had was a guy who is a passionate Sons fans, a decent, harmless bloke making a rather crass comment. No one believes though that in the cold lift of day it was meant with any serious intent. Surely?

What followed was mob rule. I’m not really sure what it achieved other than ridiculing an individual to the point where he lost the grid somewhat. The apparent glee on here by some is just a bit odd. We have a small core support; driving a wedge between it doesn’t do the club any good.

The constant baiting of the Aitken Army on here is also rather distasteful and pretty pathetic. As is posting pictures of fans. A few need to take a look at themselves.

ill be glad when this all blows over, we get a new man in charge and can get back to talking about the fitba.

11 hours ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Ok, my first Sons games were the League Cup semis at Hampden in 1970 - where there were plenty of invalid cars present there I suppose. There might have been the odd one or two at other games but they came out in force for the big games. There were always stories of able-bodied relatives borrowing disabled relatives' cars to get a close-up view.

48 years ago this very week.

And at Old Firm games many people with disabilities were wheeled in on what we'd now call gurneys. The poor souls couldn't move but it got their "carers" in.

Reminds me of the episode of 'In Sickness And In Health' where Alf Garnett is taken to Upton Park in a wheel-chair as an invalid. The Hammers score and suddenly he is dancing along the touchline.

I see Duffy is hitching up his skirts at The Harry Wraggs again. Here

Might take a wander/stagger to Firhill this afternoon to see what their fans think.

Also a good excuse to drop into the Carnarvon Bar. I might even just spend the afternoon in the Carnarvon Bar.

22 minutes ago, Jordo1872 said:

Reading through that Facebook thread and the P&B response this morning, I wouldn’t call it epic. I found the whole thing rather sad actually. What we had was a guy who is a passionate Sons fans, a decent, harmless bloke making a rather crass comment. No one believes though that in the cold lift of day it was meant with any serious intent. Surely?

What followed was mob rule. I’m not really sure what it achieved other than ridiculing an individual to the point where he lost the grid somewhat. The apparent glee on here by some is just a bit odd. We have a small core support; driving a wedge between it doesn’t do the club any good.

The constant baiting of the Aitken Army on here is also rather distasteful and pretty pathetic. As is posting pictures of fans. A few need to take a look at themselves.

ill be glad when this all blows over, we get a new man in charge and can get back to talking about the fitba.

When you constantly boast about being the greatest, most loyal fans and ridicule and single out others for their apparent lack of loyalty, then come out with a ‘I hope Airdrie thrash us’ statement, it’s hard to have much sympathy.

Edited by Stevie Aitken

I think you do have a point but I would argue that the eejit in question has spent the last couple of months throwing silly comments around about those who disagree with his opinion. He has been calling people all sorts (clueless, know it alls, idiots etc) so he can't really complain when people respond to him in the manner that they did.

It's all very OTT.