Sons' sorrow

Jim Duffy is many peoples favourite choice.We wont get IM back as he did leave under a cloud.I wouldnt want Peter Houston or Paul Hartley even if they were interested.There may be some good young managers out there but im not sure if we can afford an 'experiment'.We would have more security with a manager who has been there done it written the book etc. Even if that in itself is no gurantee of success.I am glad the board are taking their time with this as its a really really important one.

I'm really looking forward to Nacho Novo in the red tops issuing a "come and get me" plea to Dumbarton only for them to come back with a "f**k off and don't bother us" plea from the Sons.  He'll then be off to moan that he can't get a job because of his ties to Rangers, rather than the fact he's got hee-haw coaching experience

2 hours ago, Stevie Aitken said:

What I will say is, sacking Aitken is no guarantee of success this season. However, not sacking Aitken would have been a guarantee of failure.

I actually wouldn't go as far as to say Aitken wasn't a success with us, his time was just up. Very, very few managers leave clubs on their own terms. Like the vast majority of relationships (in both football and life) it ended on a sour note. That's football. That's life.

Ever thought of marriage counselling?

Wise words though. His time was up, and I think the Boards very dignified and personal statement shows a genuine appreciation of his efforts. That night in Oswestry will take some beating.

On a replacement, whatever the circumstances of Ian Murray's departure, his appointment lifted the club overnight and maybe it's time to take a punt on a young ex-pro looking to prove himself (or herself?) in management. No names come to mind, but as the sleeping giant of League 1 there'll be plenty of interest I'm sure.

41 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Jim Duffy is many peoples favourite choice.We wont get IM back as he did leave under a cloud.I wouldnt want Peter Houston or Paul Hartley even if they were interested.There may be some good young managers out there but im not sure if we can afford an 'experiment'.We would have more security with a manager who has been there done it written the book etc. Even if that in itself is no gurantee of success.I am glad the board are taking their time with this as its a really really important one.

image.png.a2e9e16e8779360883531196ad2c5492.png

There's some absolute gold being dropped on the Facebook group.

90% of our support are absolute lunatics.

I felt the urge to post there this morning, Let’s see what they make of some logic and reasoned discussion. I think some may struggle with something that can’t be turned into a slogan [emoji23][emoji23]

42 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Stevie has his say in the Sun. IMG_1891.jpg

I wish Stevie well too, but I have no confidence that he would have been able to turn things around.

His departure was long overdue but, as a long serving manager in a very notable period in the club's recent history, he should go with our thanks.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

There's some absolute gold being dropped on the Facebook group.

90% of our support are absolute lunatics.

And would you want them to leave?. A group of fans who support the Son's through thick and thin, travel near and far. If you knew the history of Aitken's Army you'd realise how ridiculous and infantile the childish digs have been towards them. The Army disbanded at the end of last season, roll on the last away game of this season and you just might understand the meaning behind it

Canny believe what shite your getting for backing of the gaffer football is about opinions

Aitkens army is just a follow up to apache army and so on.like xxxxxx xxxxxx says,the loyalty they show the club is remarkable!I can't make every game due to work commitments and weather related things,but I travel from Campbeltown whenever I can. Have been there whether we win lose or draw, and a lot of local "supporters" can't say that.hope the Aitken haters put their money where it matters, in the club they say they support! Rant over.

l take your point as they would have to pay Stevie off as he was on a 3 year contract 

^^^from the resident SotR page fuckwit^^^

Would just like to thank Stevie Aitken for all his hard work and wish him all the best with next step in his career. He had a hard task this season and put up with some real crap of some supporters. Still think it was a mistake letting him go but time will tell . Wonder how long it will take for same folk to start slagging off next guy ? Aitkens Army may be no more but I loved being part of the whole thing . Great loyal friends who knew how to get behind their team . All the best Stevie .

Stevie has his say in the Sun. IMG_1891.thumb.jpg.f453c7316d4d40df734dc4e08f20977b.jpg

That seems fair enough. I wouldn’t expect him to say anything different, but I don’t think any of us saw any sign of him turning things around. If anything we’ve actually regressed since earlier in the season.

Stevie has his say in the Sun. IMG_1891.thumb.jpg.f453c7316d4d40df734dc4e08f20977b.jpg
He also 'achieved' relegation but that wouldn't make the hard done by angle as appealing. Can't fault him still wanting to turn it around but were we in this position much later in the season he'd still be saying the same thing. The board gave him longer than a lot of others may have.

The results against Hibs and Dundee United were great at the time but are also fairly irrelevant considering the main issue with Aitken since his second competitive game in charge of us (East Fife away) was he did not / could not get us to dominate a game and put teams to the sword.

The cup final still puts a sour taste in my mouth because of the overly negative game plan. Not to mention the fact he used it as an excuse for the league results for the rest of the season.

I'm thrilled that's more than likely the last I'll need to hear from Aitken. I know it's a bit fucked up celebrating a man being punted from his job but the last couple of years well and truly killed my passion for The Sons. I'd still been going to games but something just didn't feel right. On the pitch it's highly unlikely things are going to change overnight but since the news broke I feel like a weight has been lifted. I am looking forward to Dumbarton games again and for me that's the most important thing.

Wondering if we'll hear anything official about Aitchison soon. Hoping he might have changed his mind but it could be too late.

What Stevie has said is fair enough from his angle. Obviously he's played the injury card as part of reason for our dreadful early season form, but nobody saw it turning around.

And unfortunately in football the buck stops with the manager to get results. We weren't getting results and the time had come. I wish him all the best but it's actually best for both parties I reckon.

I just hope Aitken doesn’t do something silly like go to the press and start saying it’s a disgrace given he took us to a cup final six months ago and the injuries etc.

I’d like to think he wouldn’t given the incredibly respectful statement from the club, but you never know.

46 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

^^^from the resident SotR page fuckwit^^^

Ah, yes, the self-proclaimed best fans in the world.

Going to get a wave from Garry Fleming while your own club is playing. He’s right, we just wouldn’t understand that level of commitment.

Edited by Stevie Aitken

Paddy on the Facebook page:

"I left my Manager post with Mid Annandale FC just after pre season this year in July due to me relocating from Gretna back to Glasgow. Had numerous offers, senior and junior however awaiting the right opportunity to get back on the training ground!"

Bring. Him. Home Back.