Sons' sorrow

It's been a dismal day on several fronts, but today's announcement was hardly a surprise.  Things had begun to unravel badly and a parting of the ways is probably in the interests of both parties.  Stevie Aitken should leave with our best wishes; I never knew him that well but I always found him a decent, personable guy.

As one of Wilf's 'three amigos' mentioned above I would like to add a couple of points.  Folk have been speculating over a possible return of a certain former Manager; I well remember speaking with the late Gilbert Lawrie on an afternoon that St Mirren announced their new Manager.  He was incandescent with rage, explaining that the new guy had assured DFC only two days previously that he would not be headed to Paisley.   Shit happens in football, and all the time.

Secondly, much has been made of Aitken's tactical negativity. On several occasions I have been assured that for the most part he did not instruct his teams to adopt a cautious approach, but as we've all seen it often didn't appear like that.  I think the truth is somewhere in the middle, there was perhaps no outright intention, but in his time here  there has been a conveyor belt of one -paced midfielders whose primary instinct was defensive caution as opposed to attacking flair.  This was Stevie's Achilles Heel, and the bad news is that some are still on the books.

So now we must look forward, but unless I've missed it, there seems to be no news on Ian Durrant - has he left the building also ?  There will be no shortage of candidates for the job, and I 100% trust the guys at the helm to do the right thing by the club.  When Stevie Aitken arrived he was the ideal candidate; it didn't work out well in the end but as So8 points out, there were diamonds amongst the dross.  My personal favourite memory of his tenure is a frantic Neil Lennon jumping up and down on the Easter Road track as we led 2-1 with 10 minutes to go.  Us, away to Championship-chasing Hibs, and the home support going mental.

Well well well. Come home from work to find about 20 pages unread on P&B and knew something was amiss. Delighted at the news we have went for change although it's never good to see anyone lose their job. The right decision has been and I think even though we all wanted Stevie moved on we need to thank him for his efforts over the past few years. I'm sure we will all remember the cup final for years to come.
The important thing now is we get the right manager in place who can get the best out of what is, on paper, a very talented squad. It will indeed be interesting to see how many injuries clear up between now and Arbroath.
Numerous names have been banded about I see, Duffy the obvious favourite. The young ex pro worked last time so why not again? The has beens on the lower league merry-go-round, no thanks. Let's see what happens in the next few days but I'm excited to see who we get in and what they will bring to the table.
Ross forbes - look forward to reading your article, it will need to wait until the wee one is in bed! Although I'm sure it's excellent.

What I will say is, sacking Aitken is no guarantee of success this season. However, not sacking Aitken would have been a guarantee of failure.

I actually wouldn't go as far as to say Aitken wasn't a success with us, his time was just up. Very, very few managers leave clubs on their own terms. Like the vast majority of relationships (in both football and life) it ended on a sour note. That's football. That's life.

The run of fixtures post-Arbroath is actually not too bad either (4 out of 6 at home, with the two away against the teams directly around us). If the new guy can come in and pick up a reasonable haul from those, I'm sure we'll start to climb away from the bottom two. I'm glad to see the board say they will take their time making the appointment. For me, the Arbroath game is a free-hit (which we'll probably lose either way) so its not essential we appoint someone by then.

Edited by Stevie Aitken

Very classy statement that, and one I feel Aitken deserves. I'm just glad he went when he did so as not to tarnish those first two seasons and the cup run.

Also pleasing to see the board hope to have a manager in place quickly but will take their time to ensure the appointment is right. Lets hope the new guy isn't a fan of a carswell and Hutton combo.

I'm surprised Durrant hasn't gone with him, but I suppose he might just be overseeing training or something until a new guy comes in. I'd hope whoever does come in will be looking to bring an assistant with them.

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Very classy statement that, and one I feel Aitken deserves. I'm just glad he went when he did so as not to tarnish those first two seasons and the cup run.

Also pleasing to see the board hope to have a manager in place quickly but will take their time to ensure the appointment is right. Lets hope the new guy isn't a fan of a carswell and Hutton combo.

I'm surprised Durrant hasn't gone with him, but I suppose he might just be overseeing training or something until a new guy comes in. I'd hope whoever does come in will be looking to bring an assistant with them.

Don't you think Durrant might apply for the job?

Don't you think Durrant might apply for the job?

From what I've heard he isn't interested in being a manager but I'm not sure how much truth there is in that. I'm not sure how close him and Aitken are, it might be that he doesn't want to apply for his pal's old job.

Either way I'll be hoping we don't view him as a potential option, I prefer the idea of a fresh start and I think it could breathe new life into what is a decent squad for this level.

Our last 4 managers have been successful appointments so whoever they appoint deserves our support, whether it's the guy we wanted or not.

Very respectful statement from the club that Aitken deserved. I'd echo the sentiments of others that I'm glad he left before things turned really toxic at games, which I feel they would've done if he'd been in charge for East Fife.

How many of the current directors were there when Ian Murray was in charge? I imagine they'd have reservations about him given the manner in which he left. Personally, doesn't bother me one bit. I'd have him back all day long.

I wonder if I can pick this up on eBay now. 
Aitkenarmy.JPG.6fed01e90ea896478524b871950ddf19.JPG
If you contact any member of Aitkens Army they have a vast array of memorabilia that is now going at very reasonable prices, banners, hoodies, bunny ears, scarfs, car bumper stickers, life size blow up dolls, the list is endless. If you do buy anything be sure to give them a wave.....

I'm not convinced that Ian Murray would be the answer, if anything I suspect he might ruin his status amongst the support. He performed heroics the first time round but that was with a very capable Jack Ross as his assistant for most of the good stuff. The appointment of Spalding was baffling and it started to go wrong in the end.

Judging by what I have heard, the way he handled his departure and how distant he was from training at St Mirren,he didn't leave on good terms with either board. In the past few days someone mentioned he had applied for every job in Scotland, it appears that no one is biting and that cant be good if true.

8 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:
52 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:
I wonder if I can pick this up on eBay now. 
Aitkenarmy.JPG.6fed01e90ea896478524b871950ddf19.JPG

If you contact any member of Aitkens Army they have a vast array of memorabilia that is now going at very reasonable prices, banners, hoodies, bunny ears, scarfs, car bumper stickers, life size blow up dolls, the list is endless. If you do buy anything be sure to give them a wave.....

The only wave I'd give them.

Image result for jay inbetweeners wave

Spoiler

It's a joke.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

He's assistant at Morton these days to an inexperienced manager, I think he's quite happy there.

Hope to god you stay away from Hartley, but I think he would take it if offered. He's not getting a job in the top two tiers after destroying Dundee and Falkirk, and you lot are a very appealing League One side.

Aye, I know no Dumbarton fans are seriously suggesting Houston anyway but he's said unequivocally that he has no interest in being a manager again and will only work as an assistant from now on.