Sons' sorrow

Duffy will be paid well enough that he doesn't need to jump at any chance to get back into the game, he'll be able to choose from what's offered to him and I'm not convinced we are that attractive right now, anyone coming in needs to improve results immediately AND get us into the top 4 come the end of the season (and make any changes to the squad with the working capital of £0). I agree that sounding him out brings no harm, but everyone just seems convinced it's a case of offering it to Duffy and the rest is history.
Having said that, I tend to agree with your other points BBPF that there will be unknowns that apply for this that might well be a good fit and I don't think it's a reason for keeping the status quo.
Paid well enough by whom? I wasn't aware he was currently employed.

1 hour ago, Nowhereman said:

It's easy to cherrypick. His first cup final (league cup not Scottish Cup ) was 23 years ago. His second was 15 years ago. Winning league one was expected for Morton given they were a full time team in a lower league. He has been a manager for 25 years and that title with Morton is his only success. We can do better.

It's funny how people who make the argument 'we can't sack Aitken, who would we replace him with?' also think we could do better than Jim Duffy.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I don't see why not unless something better is offered to him. We could do far worse than sound him out. I think we're a fairly attractive option for an out of work manager like Duffy, who by all accounts is looking to get back into the game.

If Duffy says no we move onto the next candidate, of which I'm sure there will be plenty. I'd welcome Duffy or a left field appointment tbh, IMO they'd be hard pushed to have this squad of players playing worse than they currently are.

Of the known available options I'd be happy with Duffy or Robson but I've no doubt there would be plenty of others who apply/are keen on it who haven't even been mentioned or thought of so far.

I see Maurice Ross, who's currently manager of the Faroese champions, has been linked with the Queens Park job today. I'm not saying we should appoint him specifically but he's a good example of a guy who's name hasn't been mentioned who could be considered a potential candidate.

Robson and Ross have done nothing, we should aim higher :blink:

Media work. Will likely pay better than we can. Obviously not all about cash, but it will be part of it.

I’m sure with us being part time, he could continue his media work whilst still taking us on.

Jim Mcintyre would be a cracking appointment, but we’d be even less attractive to him than jim Duffy, apart from his obvious connection to the town

3 minutes ago, optimistic said:

I’m sure with us being part time, he could continue his media work whilst still taking us on.

Jim Mcintyre would be a cracking appointment, but we’d be even less attractive to him than jim Duffy, apart from his obvious connection to the town

I could be wrong but isn't Duffy's media work being on the radio on a Saturday talking about football?

I could be wrong but isn't Duffy's media work being on the radio on a Saturday talking about football?

I was thinking more along the lines of his work during the week, and that he could mix the two, obviously taking away his Saturday duties from the radio (smart arse [emoji12])

I can't help but think that the only way that Stevie will leave the job is if he makes that decision himself. The current Chairman and board are living with operational and financial commitments made by a previous Chairman/Exec. I wonder if many of us would have disagreed with the manager getting a a two year contract at that time? If Steve Aitken is on £30k (a guess) and his contract is until May, then it'd cost £20,000 to fully pay up his contract. Even if they were to "mutually consent", they'd be hitting a hard deal if it was anything much less than £8,000 I'd imagine. It aint happening unless SA walks away.

1 minute ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

I can't help but think that the only way that Stevie will leave the job is if he makes that decision himself. The current Chairman and board are living with operational and financial commitments made by a previous Chairman/Exec. I wonder if many of us would have disagreed with the manager getting a a two year contract at that time? If Steve Aitken is on £30k (a guess) and his contract is until May, then it'd cost £20,000 to fully pay up his contract. Even if they were to "mutually consent", they'd be hitting a hard deal if it was anything much less than £8,000 I'd imagine. It aint happening unless SA walks away.

I have no knowledge of what he's on, but if we're paying him £30k that's extremely generous for a part-time role.

Jim McIntyre is completely unrealistic, sadly.

Just now, optimistic said:

I was thinking more along the lines of his work during the week, and that he could mix the two, obviously taking away his Saturday duties from the radio (smart arse emoji12.png)

I didn't realise he was on it during the week, but I would imagine it would still clash with our training/mid-week fixtures.  The point stands that Duffy might not fancy it. Although all this chat is futile until we have a vacancy.

Just because both Duffy and McIntyre are currently without clubs, it doesnt mean that they're eager to take on the role of a manager at a part time team.

Duffy has done it before. Has he made it known that he wants to do it again? I'd imagine McIntyre would view the Dundee United job as being far more appealing and within reach of him given his experience at Ross County (and elsewhere).

I doubt either would have any burning desire to become our next boss.

Just because both Duffy and McIntyre are currently without clubs, it doesnt mean that they're eager to take on the role of a manager at a part time team.
Duffy has done it before. Has he made it known that he wants to do it again? I'd imagine McIntyre would view the Dundee United job as being far more appealing and within reach of him given his experience at Ross County (and elsewhere).
I doubt either would have any burning desire to become our next boss.

That may very well be true, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't be asking them.

I have no knowledge of what he's on, but if we're paying him £30k that's extremely generous for a part-time role.
Jim McIntyre is completely unrealistic, sadly.

It’s what Murdo was on nearly a quarter of a century ago. I’ve good reason to believe it was what Aitken's predecessor was on.

I like the Barry Robson shout, i’ve also heard that Kevin Thomson has a good coaching attributes.
Other than that, a Flannery / Mooney dream team. 
Kevin Thomson has his own coaching academy and runs the rangers youth teams I believe. I doubt he would give that up to come manage us.

32 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

It’s what Murdo was on nearly a quarter of a century ago. I’ve good reason to believe it was what Aitken's predecessor was on.

Have you adjusted for inflation? :P I guess Murdo was doing two roles and was a huge name, so that makes a bit more sense. With IM, we must have given him more money each time he stayed on.

I’d be massively surprised if any of the players were pushing £600/week, so it would seem odd to pay Aitken more than say a Loy or Forbes. Unless he didn’t have any kind of relegation wage clause? 

Have you adjusted for inflation? [emoji14] I guess Murdo was doing two roles and was a huge name, so that makes a bit more sense. With IM, we must have given him more money each time he stayed on.
I’d be massively surprised if any of the players were pushing £600/week, so it would seem odd to pay Aitken more than say a Loy or Forbes. Unless he didn’t have any kind of relegation wage clause? 

Surely the manager is going to be on more money than any player?

1 hour ago, Lichtie78 said:

Surely the manager is going to be on more money than any player?

I’m sure some do, like Gerrard and Rodgers, but I’d be surprised if most managers earn more than their highest earning player. It’s an interesting question, though.