Sons' sorrow

Good to have this one answered, I've been wondering about this for a few weeks.

I will be buying my first Dumbarton season ticket in a few weeks and have a few more questions if people can help me out.

I'll be purchasing a Parent and Child season ticket but some weeks will be taking my 2 kids along so will pay at the gate to get the extra one in on the day. What do I do if the seats next to my 2 are also reserved season tickets? Just sit somewhere else I guess?

What is the physical form of the season ticket? Is it a card, book with match tokens etc?

The Sons Trust, do I need to join separately? How much does that cost and what perks does it provide?

Away games, does the club put on supporters buses or anything or do you guys just make your own way? I assume away games are just pay at the gate and never any issue getting in?

Probably some stupid questions in there but I've been used to Celtic season tickets and going to away grounds in the top tier so not entirely sure how it all works at this level. Can't wait to get involved though.

Firstly on behalf of us all, welcome. Any new fan is always welcome.

I'm not sure about the issue of seats being taken next to yours but someone more knowledgeable than me will help there I'm sure.

The ST is a book with tokens inside.

The trust is £10 IIRC and is a vital part of the club. They do excellent work for the club that is very much important and will continue to be so in the coming months.

There is discount for away journeys which subject to numbers, the trust organise a bus/buses (being optimistic here) and it's always great value. Very reasonable pricing and we'll have a fair few journeys to make next season so that alone is an excellent part of being a trust member.

Away games there won't be an issue getting in this season, it's a pay at the gate affair.

Hope this helps and welcome aboard!

29 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

I will be buying my first Dumbarton season ticket in a few weeks and have a few more questions if people can help me out.

I'll be purchasing a Parent and Child season ticket but some weeks will be taking my 2 kids along so will pay at the gate to get the extra one in on the day. What do I do if the seats next to my 2 are also reserved season tickets? Just sit somewhere else I guess?

What is the physical form of the season ticket? Is it a card, book with match tokens etc?

The Sons Trust, do I need to join separately? How much does that cost and what perks does it provide?

Away games, does the club put on supporters buses or anything or do you guys just make your own way? I assume away games are just pay at the gate and never any issue getting in?

Probably some stupid questions in there but I've been used to Celtic season tickets and going to away grounds in the top tier so not entirely sure how it all works at this level. Can't wait to get involved though.

Welcome aboard Tony :)

You won't struggle to find empty seats for when you take the other kid along, but most of the existing ST holders will have the reserved stickers on their seats, so if you can get out into the stand when you're buying your tickets then pick one without a sticker beside it - or buy two either side of an empty seat (which is what a guy I knew did for his son who was staying up north).

Up until now it's been a wee paper book with tear off numbered vouchers for each game. It's been like that for years so I don't imagine anything will change now.

The trust are separate aye, and with the club facing a potentially difficult time off the park the chance to be involved in shaping the club for the future is a massive perk. It's only a tenner, and @TheFarPost will be more than happy to answer any questions relating to the trust you have.

Discounted supporters' bus travel is one of the other perks. Most of the time we'll have a bus going, and it's dead easy to book either via the Trust website or Travel Group Facebook page that you can join.

It'll no doubt be really different to following Celtic, but I think you'll enjoy it. Nae politics, nae egos and nae stupid 12:00 kick offs in Dingwall!

I've got the parent and child ticket too Tony, we ended up seats apart so I could stay in the seat I've had for tears. But the guys around us are sound and move along so we're together. I'd suggest you talk to Samantha at the club when you're buying your ticket and ask to have a non season ticket seat next to you. My preference is to be near the half way line and near the back, but each to there own. I think you'll have plenty of options. Welcome aboard

Trust me on this, if you want to have a club playing at a respectable level to support in years to come, it is worth every single penny. Now, more than ever, the club needs the fans. We've cut prices, we'll have less prize money, considerably smaller travelling supports and will likely sell less hospitality. The importance of Season Ticket sales hasn't been as vital for quite a few years.

Aitken managed to piss away money on the wages of utter dross . Anyone with half a brain knew Nade was done, Beany was finished some years back and Stewart (well Raith fans told us so). Not confident that Aitken will use his budget wisely tbh. I would rather just pay at the gate than spend £250 . His style of football reminds me of the Paul Martin era and I canny go that again. Fair play to those shelling out for a season ticket but it's not for me

5 hours ago, Tartantony said:

Membership of the Sons Trust has several benefits.

If you're interested in travelling to away games then your Trust membership gives you discounted travel on the Trust supporters bus. The discount is usually around £3 so 4 away trips and it's covered the cost of membership.

But it's more than that.

The aim of all supporters trusts is to provide a greater degree of representation for fans within the club. In an ideal world supporters trusts also aim to progress fan ownership at football clubs. At Dumbarton we have a Sons Trust board member who is also on the club board. That gives us a strong voice within the club. How strong our voice is depends on our membership - the more members we have then the more difficult it is for fans to be ignored.

The Trust has done some absolutely stellar work over the past 2 years in terms of representing members interests in discussions with the ownership and pushing for meaningful change at the club. It's absolutely no coincidence that we're now seeing that with the new chairman and the more focus being placed on communication and on placing fans at the heart of things. Joining the trust helps it continue with that work.

30 minutes ago, Rockstar said:

Aitken managed to piss away money on the wages of utter dross . Anyone with half a brain knew Nade was done, Beany was finished some years back and Stewart (well Raith fans told us so). Not confident that Aitken will use his budget wisely tbh. I would rather just pay at the gate than spend £250 . His style of football reminds me of the Paul Martin era and I canny go that again. Fair play to those shelling out for a season ticket but it's not for me

I totally understand where you're coming from. Last season was brutal, and Stevie's signing policy was erratic, but the club is facing much bigger challenges than just the style of football we played last season, and every season ticket sold helps. For the first time in a long time we actually have a board who are listening to the fans, and in John Steele we have a chairman who (certainly based on what I've seen of him so far) doesn't want the club ran like a secret society. They deserve your support, even if Stevie doesn't.

Don't be too hasty to judge the style of football we played last season either. This time last year we were the highest away scorers in the division, just as Ian Murray's 65 for 64 against Galácticos turned into an uber-defensive bunch of jobbers over the summer of 2014.

Ultimately it's your money, and you're free to spend it on whatever you want, but right now DFC need our supporters more than ever.

1 hour ago, sonsanorak said:

I've got the parent and child ticket too Tony, we ended up seats apart so I could stay in the seat I've had for tears.

How appropriate. Following a wee team can be hard at times.

Edited by rockson

54 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I totally understand where you're coming from. Last season was brutal, and Stevie's signing policy was erratic, but the club is facing much bigger challenges than just the style of football we played last season, and every season ticket sold helps. For the first time in a long time we actually have a board who are listening to the fans, and in John Steele we have a chairman who (certainly based on what I've seen of him so far) doesn't want the club ran like a secret society. They deserve your support, even if Stevie doesn't.

Don't be too hasty to judge the style of football we played last season either. This time last year we were the highest away scorers in the division, just as Ian Murray's 65 for 64 against Galácticos turned into an uber-defensive bunch of jobbers over the summer of 2014.

Ultimately it's your money, and you're free to spend it on whatever you want, but right now DFC need our supporters more than ever.

Absolutely this.  Last season was brutal, well at least from New Year onwards, but as So8 says now is definitely not the time for taking a step back.  Interestingly, when I renewed today Samantha told me that she'd sold several tickets this week to 'newbies' and several of the established ST holders were actually quite  philosophical about the prospect of (hopefully) seeing more open football next season from Sons.

Be that as it may, relegation is a financial hammer blow to the club and the bottom line is that we need people, within their financial means, to keep the faith.

3 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

Grant Gallagher signs for Airdrie. Good move for him. Full time training should help him to get his sharpness back.

I'm sure it would, but he won't be full-time with the Diamonds ;)