Sons' sorrow

Aitken's army have the right to support the team any way they like as do the rest of us.
What got my wick up about them was at the cup final, I took my brother in law along with me, not a Dumbarton fan but been to a few games as he is a carer for some of our regular attendees. One of Aitken's army who knows him made the comment that he was a 'glory hunter' and 'kid on fan'. Needless to say he was majorly pissed off and was made to feel unwelcome. Incidentally hasn't been back with me since.

1 hour ago, Benito Robles said:

Serious question for Sons fans. Why is there ridicule of your own supporters when they are clearly part of your footballing family and look to me to be loyal fans? Is there a tiered approach to being a football supporter these days.?

It's getting a little tiring.

People follow the club in different ways. Whilst at times I'm sure we all do things that annoy others, the stick that this particular group take on here has been done to death. They follow the club in their own way and are at almost every game - home and away.

We all indulge in a little cynicism sometimes but it's surely time to move on? Let them be and just be glad we've got fans who are willing to follow the team week in, week out.

Aitken's Army are just unlike really any other group of supporters. I can't say I study any other clubs fans really, but I get to a pretty high number of games as a neutral, and I've never seen a group in fancy dress with tambourines wearing t-shirts with the manager's face on them.

I do find some of their unwavering loyalty to Stevie, and insistence that it's always someone else's fault, a bit weird. The same goes for some of the stuff that's gone on at Meet the Manager sessions, but give me them every day over the sweetie rustlers who bumble "Chuck it (delete as appropriate) Aitken/Murray/Adamson/Chapman/McCabe/Martin" or "Not Good Enough Wardrop/Smith/Gilhaney/Agnew/Murray" every second week.

I wouldn't say people were ridiculing them. They get a bit of stick for the tambourine thing but the pictures are just silly.

My only issue is when they fall so madly in love and get attached to players that when the player moves on, they will on the odd occasion go support another team for the day. In fact it is possibly their fault we lost to Alloa as they were off supporting Garry and Alloa in their recent victory over Ayr (the start of their good run).

For any overly sensitive people I'm not actually blaming them  :lol:

58 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

I wouldn't say people were ridiculing them. They get a bit of stick for the tambourine thing but the pictures are just silly.

My only issue is when they fall so madly in love and get attached to players that when the player moves on, they will on the odd occasion go support another team for the day. In fact it is possibly their fault we lost to Alloa as they were off supporting Garry and Alloa in their recent victory over Ayr (the start of their good run).

For any overly sensitive people I'm not actually blaming them  :lol:

IMG_0646.JPG.047f66dc484b2873b28703ba6795e5d0.JPG

1 hour ago, optimistic said:

Murray in the frame for Albion rovers it seems

Really?

Be very surprised if he took that (or any job in League 1/2 currently). He will be keen to rebuild his reputation, sure, but just can't see him giving up such a cushy job in Norway.

Players I would keep: Gallacher (Keeper- had my doubts early on but he is decent), McLaughlin, Dowie, Barr, Hutton. Would like to keep Wardrop but he will get better offers. Handling will be on a high wage and is a luxury player. Squad really needs totally gutted and I am not confident Aitken can do that. Too negative a manager for me but I hope he proves me wrong. Won't be renewing season ticket as it ain't worth the money.

11 minutes ago, Rockstar said:

Players I would keep: Gallacher (Keeper- had my doubts early on but he is decent), McLaughlin, Dowie, Barr, Hutton. Would like to keep Wardrop but he will get better offers. Handling will be on a high wage and is a luxury player. Squad really needs totally gutted and I am not confident Aitken can do that. Too negative a manager for me but I hope he proves me wrong. Won't be renewing season ticket as it ain't worth the money.

Trust me on this, if you want to have a club playing at a respectable level to support in years to come, it is worth every single penny. Now, more than ever, the club needs the fans. We've cut prices, we'll have less prize money, considerably smaller travelling supports and will likely sell less hospitality. The importance of Season Ticket sales hasn't been as vital for quite a few years.

10 hours ago, Robbiem1872 said:

Got to admit the aiktens army is to be admired with the amount of games they go to and how loyal they stay to the manager and players but the tambourine could give my death granny a headache and that wee aiktens army banner is a ridneck

But calling folk who don't go to as many games as them part-timers isn't on. Not everyone has flexible jobs like them and the fella calling fans part-timers on facebook. I'm sure the majority of us grew up watching the sons and don't remember her hellish screaming of 'shite' when we were wee. 

I don't know how long they've been going how the games, and without trying to turn it into a cock measuring contest, I know I've been going for decades now, like many others, and to be called part timers cause I can't make Arbroath or Alloa on a weeknight is nonsense.