Sons' sorrow

Worth keeping Beanie for that reason alone. 
Handling being offered a deal is mad imho. I know he's had a bad time with injury, but I just don't see it with him.
Would've given Boomer a deal on the spot, but that aside I can't disagree too much with the decisions. A few guys will go on to do a good job wherever they end up: David Smith for example.
I'm shocked that Grant Gallagher has been punted.
Pleased to see Scott Gal and SeaGal offered new deals. Both proved themselves last season after unconvincing starts.

Would imagine that Boomer is one of the guys who couldn’t attend the meeting

12 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Worth punting him for that reason alone.

Lyle would have been a good signing a few years ago. Now?

Thanks, but no thanks.

Lyle might be as old as time itself, but he's got that goalscorers instinct that we badly lacked last season. Alongside someone with legs (hiya SeaGal, hiya pal) I'd fancy him to do well in League One.

4 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Lyle might be as old as time itself, but he's got that goalscorers instinct that we badly lacked last season. Alongside someone with legs (hiya SeaGal, hiya pal) I'd fancy him to do well in League One.

Beanie had that instinct. Sadly it deserted him before he signed for us.

Lyle would skoosh it in the division below next season. Mid 30s or not he was still one of the fittest at the club. His intelligence is his biggest asset nowadays so his ageing legs aren't really an issue providing he has someone doing the dirty work up top alongside him. He'd be a very good signing for Dumbarton next season and I'm confident he'd reach double figures quite comfortably.

I suspect that’s because his ankle’s swollen back up again and they don’t know long it will take to heel.

I see what you did there[emoji12]

Disappointed to see Hill and Smith go but the others were pretty much a given. How much of a pre season did Handling have last year since he signed for us at the end of July and promptly got injured. Maybe a proper pre season will make a difference.

And I discovered tonight that Div Wilson has played more games for us than Froxy. Hang your head in shame at that, Stevie![emoji6]

Beany always relied quite a bit on his pace though, Lyle's never really had that.

He was a pacey striker when he originally arrived on the scene with us but the second time around that had well and truly gone but his technical ability had shot right up. He fell out of Naysmith's plans this season but there was still goals in him. If he gets a gig in League 1 next season he'll score goals.

A midfield trio of Carswell, Hutton and Handling gives me the fear, our midfield lacked pace and punch last year and nothing suggests that'll change if we have the three amigos in tow.

Surprised we released Grant Gallagher knowing Steve's love for him. I thought it was generous him getting a deal last year tbh after not kicking a ball all season for us. Good to see were not taking the same risk again.
Handling though? Really? Hopefully a Morton, Alloa, QOS etc come in and offer him a deal and he takes that instead.

On 30/04/2018 at 17:50, the snudge said:

Does Stevie not have a really well paid job outside of football? It'd maybe take a huge offer to get him to go full time

Steve Akiken works at Rolls Royce works the night shift it would take a huge offer for him to give that up .

Talking of players  it seems Queens have told Andy Stirling he had no future with them think he would be released now but the problem is that he has another year left on his contract.

I'm not too surprised at the ones we're bidding farewell to. I did think Stevie would've kept Grant Gallagher given he seemed to be a favourite (see bringing him on on Sunday there, leaving Froxy rotting on the bench). I'd have offered terms to Hill as well, he's a solid defender, but not unsurprised he won't be with us.

If, and it's a big if, Beany got himself a belting pre-season then he could do a job in the league below so I'm relatively content with the situation he's in.

I'd love it, LOVE IT, if we signed Derek Lyle. In League One, if he got a pre-season with us and got himself imbedded into the team from the start, he'd easily score 12+ next year. Whether it happens or not is another matter, but he'd be a great addition I think.

Steve Akiken works at Rolls Royce works the night shift it would take a huge offer for him to give that up .
Talking of players  it seems Queens have told Andy Stirling he had no future with them think he would be released now but the problem is that he has another year left on his contract.

I'd love to believe we would be in with a chance of signing Stirling permanently, but surely a Morton, Alloa, Ayr type side will come in for him and blow any offer we could make out of the water.

A midfield trio of Carswell, Hutton and Handling gives me the fear, our midfield lacked pace and punch last year and nothing suggests that'll change if we have the three amigos in tow.

A Mark Docherty style midfielder would be a better option than Hutton AND Carswell

I always thought Carswell was highly rated by Dumbarton fans?

I'm quite happy with Handling being offered a deal actually. I think him and one of Carswell or Hutton would work quite well if we had 2 strikers on the park. Handling is actually quite good at maintaining possession most of the time. The problem is he isn't a flare player and doesn't create lots. But he was far from our worst this season.

Edited by squeezeboxson

I always thought Carswell was highly rated by Dumbarton fans?

He definitely is, but to have both Hutton and carswell in the team, it makes for pretty grim viewing. I’d keep Hutton out of the two, and not sure if handling can improve after a proper pre season. Probably prefer another in his place, and for Christ sake , can we find a big templeman type, instead of 5’5” + strikers like Lyle Gallagher and Russell please?