Sons' sorrow

It will be very interesting to see how Aitken copes without the safety net of 'but we're a part-time team'. Of course it is a major factor but Aitken mentioned it in almost every single interview the last couple of seasons and at times I felt he hid behind that after a poor performance. Next season he wont have that at all bar 4 games v Raith. If he gets off to a poor start in his first 5 matches I can really see him being right under pressure.

We also don't have any excuses for a poor showing in the League Cup next season. We've often given him the benefit of the doubt due to the fact he's having to build a squad to compete against mostly full-time opposition and that may take longer in the sense that we heavily relied on loan signings and often had to wait that little bit longer on the better part-time players deciding who to sign for.

I just hope the budget isn't slashed too dramatically compared to the others in League 1 or I fear that will become Aitken's new favourite excuse, peddled at will in every interview.

There's a statement on the site confirming he's under contract and will meet to discuss budget, etc for next season. I mentioned this yesterday and still believe that Stevie will need to be confident he can build the team to play attacking football and give the board confidence that we can be challenging for the title, otherwise he's as well chucking it just now.

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Unfortunately not. After yesterday I'm surprised I've managed to avoid it.

The only way it will happen is if the Morton board produce a complete brain fart moment and decide he's a better option than whoever else applied.

Would be a howler of a decision by Morton if they do offer him the job, they bottled it in both play off games which was shocking and that blame must go down to him, if you set out to defend for 90 minutes the possibility of them scoring is high cause the team which was evident yesterday were knackered by the last 10 minutes 

29 minutes ago, Robbiem1872 said:

My mistake aikten is 2019, durrant is 2018 , Brian Reid anyone?

28 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Heck no.

Would he really be that bad? Firstly, he is not Stevie Aitken, which I would, on yesterday's 'performance', class as a positive.

He's also been responsible for some of the best moments of my life as an Ayr fan. Two promotions, multiple Premiership scalps and a National Cup Semi-Final, albeit he personally shat the bed when we got there. The fact remains that he has twice taken a part-time side back up to the Championship, and on one of those occasions achieved an unbeaten home record for the season.

Assuming Stevie does stay BBPF's point about squad building is a good one. If I was in his shoes I'd have been onto Greig Spence today for example, giving him the big sell. There are quite a few decent League One players kicking about who could do a job for us, but who would be out of their depth or uninspiring in the Championship now. 

Look at our last promotion winning team: Shay, Nugent, Lithgow, Nicol, Agnew, Gilhaney, Prunty. On paper only really Aggy was an exciting signing, but they were proven, hardworking, good lower league players. They are the sort of guys we need.

Last summer we were burnt by not doing our business early, and ended up with dross like Chris Johnston, Ally Roy, Greg Morrison and (possibly this is harsh from me given I thought he was a very good signing) Danny Handling. I hope Stevie has identified his targets, and has already started work on trying to build the best squad possible.

This season we had 29 (I think) guys pull on the shirt. That's too many to build any sort of team spirit or chemistry. We can't afford to do that in League One.

2 minutes ago, Robbiem1872 said:

Just wondering on the whole “best part time team in Scotland” thing, I’ve always knew dumbarton as part time has there ever been any development or rumours of the club ever progressing to full time?

Rumours, maybe. Development, no.

14 minutes ago, Robbiem1872 said:

Just wondering on the whole “best part time team in Scotland” thing, I’ve always knew dumbarton as part time has there ever been any development or rumours of the club ever progressing to full time?

The short answer is we don’t have the money to go full time.

And again short answer, the golden dream was move stadium - increase crowds - increase facilities to bring in large revenue - fund full time football.

but there are many if,buts,maybes and hopefully’s  along the second way.

1 minute ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Would carry him on my back from wherever he lives to the Rock if it meant he'd take the job.

I'd help, so we could maybe have a pantomime horse-type scenario going on.  Other Sons fans can have a vote for which of us is the horses arse :lol:

For the people that organise the pre match entertainment, I have two suggestions.

1, speaking to the BBC and seeing if there is any interest of doing off the ball live from the stadium before a home game.

2, Memorable Sons matches with the option of a pie and a pint?

3 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

I'd help, so we could maybe have a pantomime horse-type scenario going on.  Other Sons fans can have a vote for which of us is the horses arse :lol:

:lol: If that doesn't convince him then nothing will

21 minutes ago, Sons Fan said:

The short answer is we don’t have the money to go full time.

And again short answer, the golden dream was move stadium - increase crowds - increase facilities to bring in large revenue - fund full time football.

but there are many if,buts,maybes and hopefully’s  along the second way.

If we’re being honest with a new stadium in an obscure location increase crowds I would think they would reduce them in that thinking and would of cost a lot of money for not a lot of return

Just now, Robbiem1872 said:

If we’re being honest with a new stadium in an obscure location increase crowds I would think they would reduce them in that thinking and would of cost a lot of money for not a lot of return

As I say, lots of if, buts and maybes.