Sons' sorrow

Both Aikten and Durrant’s contracts up at the end of the season, seems to be that there could be a massive reconstruction of the backroom team and the players on the pitch 

Thought I read somewhere yesterday that he was contracted until end of next season.

To cheer us all up let's discuss our favourite games over the last 6 years in the Championship.

One of mine has to be Murray's first win away to Falkirk.  Jim Lister had a fantastic game and either Graham or Lithgow made a ridiculous block in stoppage time to hold on for the 4-3 win after James Creaney got sent off and Lyle Taylor scored two in the last 5 minutes - http://www.skysports.com/football/falkirk-vs-dumbarton/263877

I loved the days where we used to score goals. These two were particular highlights:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/21912475

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/27085230

Alex Neil sticking the head on Mark Gilhaney, and the Accies bams getting taken along in front of us just as Kirkpatrick added the fourth were my personal highlights. The Pars game was peak Ian Murray. Conceded loads, scored a few belters and never gave up, despite having a seriously weak bench, and Nicky Phinn up front :lol:

10 minutes ago, Robbiem1872 said:

Both Aikten and Durrant’s contracts up at the end of the season, seems to be that there could be a massive reconstruction of the backroom team and the players on the pitch 

Stevie signed a two year deal this time last year. Durrant is out of contract though - clicky 

The game at Dundee on the last day of the season they went up (same day Hamilton created MorTEN) - we lost, but it was great being at a game in a packed stadium where the result mattered not a jot (to us anyway), and you could just sit back and enjoy the occasion.

I loved that the team went out and actually played to win, despite it meaning nothing, and as news was filtering through of the goals ripping on for Hamilton filtered through to the crowd (I was sat in the enclosure among the Dees) the nervousness that permeated just added to the atmosphere.

And, because I was in the enclosure, I managed to access the free scran in the players' relatives lounge :lol:

ETA the Sons fans did me proud that day, despite being stuck in one wee corner of the main stand, I could hear them from where I was, and we were perfectly sporting & gracious to Dundee when they eventually sealed promotion.

Edited by Boghead ranter

I loved the days where we used to score goals. These two were particular highlights:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/21912475
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/27085230
Alex Neil sticking the head on Mark Gilhaney, and the Accies bams getting taken along in front of us just as Kirkpatrick added the fourth were my personal highlights. The Pars game was peak Ian Murray. Conceded loads, scored a few belters and never gave up, despite having a seriously weak bench, and Nicky Phinn up front :lol:

All 4 players that scored for us in the game against Hamilton have scored against us since leaving.

2 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

The game at Dundee on the last day of the season they went up (same day Hamilton created MorTEN) - we lost, but it was great being at a game in a packed stadium where the result mattered not a jot (to us anyway), and you could just sit back and enjoy the occasion.

I loved that the team went out and actually played to win, despite it meaning nothing, and as news was filtering through of the goals ripping on for Hamilton filtered through to the crowd (I was sat in the enclosure among the Dees) the nervousness that permeated just added to the atmosphere.

And, because I was in the enclosure, I managed to access the free scran in the players' relatives lounge :lol:

Aye that was a great day! Really warm day if I remember correctly.  Dundee fans and Christian Nade came over to applaud the Sons fans after the pitch invasion too.

1 minute ago, Robbiem1872 said:

Got Stranraer to the play off places 2015/16, but hardly great achievement haha 

He did a good job that season, but he also had a smashing squad and a good sized budget for L1: Cammy Belford, Steven Bell, Liam Dick, Willie Gibson, Paul Cairney, Andy Stirling, Craig Malcolm, Mark McGuigan, Jamie Longworth.

He then added Scott Agnew and Christian Nade (amongst others) and contrived to make them an absolute basketcase. 

If Stevie does go then I'd like to see us going down the young rookie route. It doesn't always work, but guys like Ian Murray, Paul Hartley, Jim Goodwin, Jack Ross, Dave Mackay and even Darren Young have all worked out well.

It's all irrelevant though. Unless someone comes in for him, which I really can't see, then Stevie's going nowhere.

4 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

He did a good job that season, but he also had a smashing squad and a good sized budget for L1: Cammy Belford, Steven Bell, Liam Dick, Willie Gibson, Paul Cairney, Andy Stirling, Craig Malcolm, Mark McGuigan, Jamie Longworth.

He then added Scott Agnew and Christian Nade (amongst others) and contrived to make them an absolute basketcase. 

If Stevie does go then I'd like to see us going down the young rookie route. It doesn't always work, but guys like Ian Murray, Paul Hartley, Jim Goodwin, Jack Ross, Dave Mackay and even Darren Young have all worked out well.

It's all irrelevant though. Unless someone comes in for him, which I really can't see, then Stevie's going nowhere.

if we're looking for rookies could go for Brown Ferguson the steinhousemuir manager done well to bring them straight back up or Stewart Petrie at Montrose who won league 2 this year both under 50

1 minute ago, Robbiem1872 said:

if we're looking for rookies could go for Brown Ferguson the steinhousemuir manager done well to bring them straight back up or Stewart Petrie at Montrose who won league 2 this year both under 50

Both are under contract though AFAIK, and I don't think we'll be in a position to pay to release a manager.

I'd imagine Petrie will get a bigger club than us when he moves on too.

8 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

2 minutes ago, Robbiem1872 said:

Prime criteria : they'll have to be out of contract, we'll not have any dough to pay for anybody.

It will be very interesting to see how Aitken copes without the safety net of 'but we're a part-time team'. Of course it is a major factor but Aitken mentioned it in almost every single interview the last couple of seasons and at times I felt he hid behind that after a poor performance. Next season he wont have that at all bar 4 games v Raith. If he gets off to a poor start in his first 5 matches I can really see him being right under pressure.

We also don't have any excuses for a poor showing in the League Cup next season. We've often given him the benefit of the doubt due to the fact he's having to build a squad to compete against mostly full-time opposition and that may take longer in the sense that we heavily relied on loan signings and often had to wait that little bit longer on the better part-time players deciding who to sign for.

I just hope the budget isn't slashed too dramatically compared to the others in League 1 or I fear that will become Aitken's new favourite excuse, peddled at will in every interview.

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Unless someone pays us dough for Aitken...

That's the dream.  I don't see it happening anymore unfortunately but you never know.

Best case scenario that's realistic is Aitken takes a good hard look at himself and changes things up next season.  My concern is he'll think of how well shitebagging it worked against Arbroath and Alloa for the most part.

Also will be interesting to see if Durrant renews his deal.