Sons' sorrow

12 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

We played today's game the only way we could because our team wasn't good enough to play any better football. We just didn't have the quality where we needed it.

Disagree completely. There was no need for us to set up the way we did. We were even more negative than when we'd played the likes of Dundee Utd and St Mirren.

Aitken could've done so many things differently. The whole Froxy saga sums up the end to Aitken's reign.

3 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Whit?! :1eye

Aitken's tactics today, cost us our Championship status today.

Well done to Alloa though.

You can only pish with the cock you've got.

How else could Aitken play? Long balls to a big target man striker? Quick passing and movement from skillful attackers? Overlapping marauding fullbacks putting dangerous crosses into the box?

Our attacking options today were Callum Gallagher (decent but never an out and out striker), Kevin Nisbet (poor touch and absolutely  no strength to hold people off), Andy Stirling (flits in and out of games and is too easily put off his game by a few hard tackles) and Tom Walsh (the invisible man). We had 1 good chance all game that we headed straight at the Alloa keeper. What do you think Aitken could have done differently?

I'm not defending him. Far from it. He deserves criticism for assembling an utter travesty of a squad. Our loans this year have been particularly shite with only Wardrop showing any kind of ability. This is his Dumbarton team that was found wanting. Unfortunately with the players at his disposal he could only really play one way today. We don't have the players we'd need to play better, more attacking football. Thats the criticism Stevie deserves.

We tried to shitfest things today because that's the only chance our shit show squad had of getting a result, and bar a last minute equaliser in normal injury time we'd have done it.

3 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

Disagree completely. There was no need for us to set up the way we did. We were even more negative than when we'd played the likes of Dundee Utd and St Mirren.

Aitken could've done so many things differently. The whole Froxy saga sums up the end to Aitken's reign.

Froxy has the heart of a sugar mouse. Loads of technical ability. Absolutely no application. You carry him for the chance that he'll do something special on the understanding that when you don't have the ball you're effectively playing with 10 men. In that respect he'd have been no different to Tom Walsh today who was absolutely woeful.

I said before a ball was kicked in the Play Offs that the worst thing that could happen was for us to shitfest our way to survival and then re-sign most of the same squad.
The first bit failed and let's pray to f*** that the second does too. The club needs a total reboot from top to bottom, and I think SA's hopes of a full time gig disappeared around 6.45pm today.

Just now, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I said before a ball was kicked in the Play Offs that the worst thing that could happen was for us to shitfest our way to survival and then re-sign most of the same squad.
The first bit failed and let's pray to f*** that the second does too. The club needs a total reboot from top to bottom, and I think SA's hopes of a full time gig disappeared around 6.45pm today.

We desperately need a fresh start. This squad has been brutal to watch.

5 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

You can only pish with the cock you've got.

How else could Aitken play? Long balls to a big target man striker? Quick passing and movement from skillful attackers? Overlapping marauding fullbacks putting dangerous crosses into the box?

Our attacking options today were Callum Gallagher (decent but never an out and out striker), Kevin Nisbet (poor touch and absolutely  no strength to hold people off), Andy Stirling (flits in and out of games and is too easily put off his game by a few hard tackles) and Tom Walsh (the invisible man). We had 1 good chance all game that we headed straight at the Alloa keeper. What do you think Aitken could have done differently?

I'm not defending him. Far from it. He deserves criticism for assembling an utter travesty of a squad. Our loans this year have been particularly shite with only Wardrop showing any kind of ability. This is his Dumbarton team that was found wanting. Unfortunately with the players at his disposal he could only really play one way today. We don't have the players we'd need to play better, more attacking football. Thats the criticism Stevie deserves.

We tried to shitfest things today because that's the only chance our shit show squad had of getting a result, and bar a last minute equaliser in normal injury time we'd have done it.

Grant Gallagher gets on ahead of Froxylias today against a team from League 1.

See that free kick near the end of extra time.......

Aye, hindsight & speculation is great on my part, but ffs we were at home against a side we comfortably beat in midweek.

5 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

Froxy has the heart of a sugar mouse. Loads of technical ability. Absolutely no application. You carry him for the chance that he'll do something special on the understanding that when you don't have the ball you're effectively playing with 10 men. In that respect he'd have been no different to Tom Walsh today who was absolutely woeful.

At least Froxy could've made a positive change to the game. Bringing on Grant Gallagher was a shocking decision.

Aitken had given us nowhere to go once they went ahead and didn't even try to change anything in Extra Time. We went down with a whimper. 

4 minutes ago, Robbiem1872 said:

Regretful moment, got to admit the players did taught them by celebrating and roaring at the fans, thought they created a good atmosphere today and got the crowd going with their drum 

I don't care how loud they were.

The minute they start throwing things at players they're putting the club at risk of a fine. It's unacceptable from guys who want to put on Stone Island and play out their bedroom w**k fantasies of Green Street and The Football Factory.

7 minutes ago, FifeSons said:

At least Froxy could've made a positive change to the game. Bringing on Grant Gallagher was a shocking decision.

Aitken had given us nowhere to go once they went ahead and didn't even try to change anything in Extra Time. We went down with a whimper. 

We couldn't change it in extra time. We'd used all 3 subs by bringing on Grant Gal in the 83rd minute when we were still 1-0 up on aggregate and looking at staying up.

I don't care how loud they were.
The minute they start throwing things at players they're putting the club at risk of a fine. It's unacceptable from guys who want to put on Stone Island and play out their bedroom w**k fantasies of Green Street and The Football Factory.

Yup. Thought they were good at first, away at St Mirren for example in December. Where did they even come from? Could they name our starting 11? Never seen any of them in my life... hopefully won’t be back after that.

Bad time to ask I know but how’s Nesbit done? Dissiponted to see yous go down but it’s been coming to be fair interesting to see how Alloa doses should be a deacent away day

If it comes to it

That was grim and inevitable today. 

But Oswestry aside, that's how most games have played out the last couple of years. A change is needed I fear. 

As to the kids - not my thing but they're entiled to be there UNTIL stuff gets thrown onto park. If you're going to abuse players all game then got to be able to take it back. 

2 minutes ago, Thommo90 said:

Yup. Thought they were good at first, away at St Mirren for example in December. Where did they even come from? Could they name our starting 11? Never seen any of them in my life... hopefully won’t be back after that.

There first game was raith rovers at home in the cup and they tried there best to create an atmosphere but wasn’t enough of them. 

Bad time to ask I know but how’s Nesbit done? Dissiponted to see yous go down but it’s been coming to be fair interesting to see how Alloa doses should be a deacent away day

If it comes to it

He Big, Strong, Quick, Good at link up play, a lethal finisher, the complete striker.

Only kidding, he’s not good enough for you. That’s all.

I'm trying not to get too angry here, but I need to let this out.

This season we've played not to score far, far too many times. I've lost count of the amount of posts I've put on here saying 'it felt like we were playing for a 1-0 defeat'. That's bad enough against St Mirren, Falkirk, Livingston or whoever, but there are two things that have me seriously doubt Stevie's managerial ability.

The first was the Cup final. A one off occasion, a great opportunity for the players to make themselves heroes. Instead we play the most timid, gutless football possible, barely lay a glove on Inverness and lose in 'heartbreaking circumstances'. We deserved to lose. Lets not kid ourselves.

The second was today. After a pretty lively first 20 minutes we became more and more negative, and it felt as if the subs were designed to make us weaker. Calum Gallagher does a job up top. It might not be pretty, but he can be effective. So we move him wide (where he can't play) and then hook him, when Nisbet has done absolutely nothing.

Then comes sub two. Andy Stirling off, Liam Burt on. Stirling's a creator, a hardworker and a guy who actually has the ability to put his foot on the ball. I like Burt a lot, but not a chance I'd have hooked Stirling for him.

Then it's time for the pièce de résistance, as Grant Gallagher (a guy who is not up to Championship football) is brought on for Tom Walsh. I thought Walsh looked livelier today when we played him through the middle than he has done since about November. Who'd have thought that? Oh, aye, all of us...

Considering it was late in the game, with things balanced delicately, I thought it was a huge risk at the time, that left us looking at extra-time with three (THREE) defensive midfielders. Boof, Alloa equalise, and we're left with a ragtag bunch of mismatched players scattered across the pitch. From that moment onwards we were down. I gave us no chance in extra-time, and as soon as Kirkpatrick rifled in the second I knew we were absolutely finished. We looked hilarious trying to attack the game, genuinely we didn't have a clue. It was hoofs to Mark Stewart, or crosses out of play. There was no cohesive gameplan.

Don't get me started on the bringing every single body back at corners patter either. How do we actually expect to get out? We've done it all season, and it drives me crazy. We haven't scored in 13 home games this season (according to my quick maths). That is absolutely embarrassing. 

Right now I would probably be pleased if Stevie walks, but that's my emotion talking. Whether he stays or goes we need a manager who is prepared to build a team capable of doing something going forward, on next season will be just like this.

I'm off for a strong Ribena.

19 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Grant Gallagher gets on ahead of Froxylias today against a team from League 1.

See that free kick near the end of extra time.......

Aye, hindsight & speculation is great on my part, but ffs we were at home against a side we comfortably beat in midweek.

There is denial and then there is this.....

4 minutes ago, Jag0001 said:

If it comes to it

Looks like a guy who will score for fun in U20s football because of his physique, but can't hack it against grown men. I have no idea why he was given 120 minutes today.

Follows me on Twitter though, so he must be sound.