Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Slight problem is that I'm away the weekend of the Falkirk match and will be recovering from an eye operation at the time of both play off semis. If it is on other times I'd be happy to contribute.

No worries, Wilf. I'll be carrying it on into next season too. 

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Right folks, as part of a big effort from the Trust to make match days more of a fan friendly experience, and to hopefully entice more folk down to use the facilities pre-match, I will be running pre-match musical entertainment. We start off this idea with the Falkirk match, local artist Paul Shearer will be playing a set from 1:30pm in the community suite. If you're a singer or in a band or know anyone that might be interested please send this onto them - https://sonstrust.wordpress.com/2018/04/12/platform-for-artists-supportoursons/

Feel free to drop me an email or a message if it's something that interests you and I can start a list of artists for next season!

Good on you. Great idea.

Dunfermline Athletic do this in their pre-match Social Club/Bar. Fairly popular it is.

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Tambourine Open Workshop is on the list, it will give other fans without tambourines an opportunity to learn from the best!

In all seriousness, yes, there is no harm in us trying this. Anyone I've spoken to thinks it's a good idea, but the big thing will be whether or not folk actually come down to watch it. There will be a big effort from the Trust in trying to make the match day a bit more enjoyable and in the process we hope to raise the income the club receives (very important for us!). We are, of course, also open to ideas from anyone - if anyone has anything they would like to see on a match day please let us know (comment here or message me) and we'll see if it can be done. There are no stupid ideas at this point, we have pretty much a blank canvass to work with so don't be shy.

image.png.449af21ac7e182248a2436b1b79e2e7b.png

Just been having a wee look at the appearance stats, and it hit me that this will be the first season we'll have played 50 competitive games in a single season for a long time. 

If Scott Gallacher features in every game between now and the end of the season then the playoff semi first leg will be his 50th game for DFC. If we get to the final then we'll finish the season having played 53 games! 

I've had a wee look back over the past couple of years and this is how the totals look:

2016/17 - 43
2015/16 - 43
2014/15 - 40
2013/14 - 43
2012/13 - 41
2011/12 - 44
2010/11 - 39
2009/10 - 39

Just been having a wee look at the appearance stats, and it hit me that this will be the first season we'll have played 50 competitive games in a single season for a long time. 
If Scott Gallacher features in every game between now and the end of the season then the playoff semi first leg will be his 50th game for DFC. If we get to the final then we'll finish the season having played 53 games! 
I've had a wee look back over the past couple of years and this is how the totals look:
2016/17 - 43
2015/16 - 43
2014/15 - 40
2013/14 - 43
2012/13 - 41
2011/12 - 44
2010/11 - 39
2009/10 - 39

I looked this up a wee while ago and the overall record for games played in a season is 49 in 1975/76. Although we only played 26 league games, we managed to add another 23 cup ties. League cup group x6, the Scottish cup x6 and the Spring cup x11. So this season will break that record with at least 51.

1 minute ago, microdave said:

I looked this up a wee while ago and the overall record for games played in a season is 49 in 1975/76. Although we only played 26 league games, we managed to add another 23 cup ties. League cup group x6, the Scottish cup x6 and the Spring cup x11. So this season will break that record with at least 51.

I'm very glad you looked that up, it was bothering me that I didn't know :lol:

A non-Sons fan has just asked in the match thread why we appear to ALWAYS have players out with injury. Rather than derail the match thread, I though I'd raise the question here - why is that?

Is our physio poor?

Do we not warm up/down thoroughly?

Is it the state of our pitch?

Is it something we do in training?

Do we just make a bigger issue out of having players out than other teams do? (Perhaps because of the smaller squad)

Something else?

A wee plug for the club's next fundraiser, something a wee bit different this time:
30726566_1733968353330454_2818538163161505559_n.png?_nc_cat=0&_nc_eui2=v1%3AAeHMNEatoCvqIHiFZLgOfsdu5atCn8UIi98beIsVxRRdl-uFJHN35CToJOGtlqbNaI-jQi-8dFt_zSG88KoZf9WXtu-8AFKCCRliwqLSSnO_uA&oh=06aaeb1efe0efd989c9f708749842993&oe=5B569548
Should be a great night, tables of 8 & 10 are available if you contact Gillie with the seats required.

Quite appropriate really considering the ftba’s been murder recently!

14 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Quite appropriate really considering the ftba’s been murder recently!

3 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Kevin Nisbet, in the car park, with the errant penalty.

It's based on a DFC awards night, so both of you aren't too far from the truth!

A non-Sons fan has just asked in the match thread why we appear to ALWAYS have players out with injury. Rather than derail the match thread, I though I'd raise the question here - why is that?
Is our physio poor?
Do we just make a bigger issue out of having players out than other teams do? (Perhaps because of the smaller squad)
Something else?
We don't have that small a squad. We currently have 23 players available including the injured ones. I haven't counted Nade since that's a different situation.

Is our physio poor?
Something else?

To be fair, over the last few seasons we've signed players with injury problems who were unlikely to have signed for us if they'd stayed injury free....and more importantly most remained injury free

It seems however our luck ran out this season, and I would guess some of the guys have played through niggling injuries to make up the numbers

27 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I see Your Radio are set to close. Was it a 1 or 2 year sponsorship deal they signed with us?

YOUR Radio will become Dumbarton FC's stadium sponsor as part of an initial two-year agreement.

http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=3113

That's unfortunate.