Sons' sorrow

Jesus Christ. I thought I had a decent view, but his is even better. You can see his undershirt and everything. Not only is it inexcusable to miss that, it's also totally beyond comprehension to award a free-kick the opposite way. He's either totally inept (likely) or an absolutely bottle merchant (again highly likely).
I'm seething. Dallas can get directly into the sea.

What you don't see is that Mango had his hand on the defender's shoulder as he's about to go for the ball.

I don't think the contact was enough from Mango to give the free kick against him, but it certainly looked like he was trying to exert a bit of force on the defender to get the ball ahead of him.

There was a close up replay that shows Mango on the defender's shoulder. Ref may well have given it for Mango trying to climb/prevent the defender from challenging.

Certainly not the worst decision Dallas made on Saturday

What you don't see is that Mango had his hand on the defender's shoulder as he's about to go for the ball.

I don't think the contact was enough from Mango to give the free kick against him, but it certainly looked like he was trying to exert a bit of force on the defender to get the ball ahead of him.

There was a close up replay that shows Mango on the defender's shoulder. Ref may well have given it for Mango trying to climb/prevent the defender from challenging.

Certainly not the worst decision Dallas made on Saturday

Interestingly there's not a lot of shouts for a penalty from our players...then again perhaps because Barr is constantly being penalised in the box?

Interestingly there's not a lot of shouts for a penalty from our players...then again perhaps because Barr is constantly being penalised in the box?

To be fair there isn’t a player within ten yards when he blows. Three then approach him. How likely is it that he’s going to change his decision?

I thought it was stonewaller at the time with his shirt being nearly ripped off. The angles on the replays don't show what happened in the lead up so it is not possible to tell if a foul was committed before.

2 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Jesus Christ. I thought I had a decent view, but his is even better. You can see his undershirt and everything. Not only is it inexcusable to miss that, it's also totally beyond comprehension to award a free-kick the opposite way. He's either totally inept (likely) or an absolutely bottle merchant (again highly likely).

I'm seething. Dallas can get directly into the sea.

There was a game last season at The Rock (might have been Hibs), where we put a cross into the box and Gregor Buchanan's marker actually had Gregor's shirt pulled up over the back of his head. Needless to say, no penalty was awarded.

There was a game last season at The Rock (might have been Hibs), where we put a cross into the box and Gregor Buchanan's marker actually had Gregor's shirt pulled up over the back of his head. Needless to say, no penalty was awarded.
Pretty sure it was Darren McGregor. Buchy approached the refeee with his top still half way down his arms and was politely told to go away.

Received an interesting email this morning from the boys club I am involved with. It is Asking all of us to email all the councillors involved in the planning application of youngs farm (their emails are attached) to ask them to overturn the decision made last week to reject the proposed development.

44 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Received an interesting email this morning from the boys club I am involved with. It is Asking all of us to email all the councillors involved in the planning application of youngs farm (their emails are attached) to ask them to overturn the decision made last week to reject the proposed development.

The councillors meeting is tomorrow so Brabco are clutching at every straw to get the planning approved. I don't really understand what that will achieve though - the local boys clubs have already given their full support to the proposal and the Trust backed it by something like 87% in the members vote if I remember correctly.  Support for the proposal from locals isn't the issue, I thought that was pretty clear from last weeks piece in the local rag.

The councillors meeting is tomorrow so Brabco are clutching at every straw to get the planning approved. I don't really understand what that will achieve though - the local boys clubs have already given their full support to the proposal and the Trust backed it by something like 87% in the members vote if I remember correctly.  Support for the proposal from locals isn't the issue, I thought that was pretty clear from last weeks piece in the local rag.
Yeah that was my thoughts. I assume it's to try and get them to change their minds. We've been asked to send the email listing all our friends and family who support the move. Politics at its finest.

1 hour ago, pleslie99 said:
1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Yeah that was my thoughts. I assume it's to try and get them to change their minds. We've been asked to send the email listing all our friends and family who support the move. Politics at its finest.

This could be interesting.  Whatever the emotional arguments around the proposal, the Planning Committee verdict of 6-3 against was taken last week on dispassionate planning consent grounds and what seems like quite compelling ones at that.  If the full Council moves to ignore what is in effect an 'informed' recommendation by passing the outline proposal then is that a fait accompli, or is there likely to be any outcome of what would seem to be a contrarian decision ?  Do Planning officials have any further input on the traffic implications for example

And if we are to assume that emotion is now allowed to make a case, ie youth club Emails of support, then any councillor backing the plan should really consider when reaching their decision that it will be their name on the scoreboard should the whole plan subsequently unravel for whatever reason.  In that event, is there any likelihood of outline planning consent being granted subject to some fundamental changes in the details of the proposal ?

Any experts on here ??

Shameless plug time. I was asked to write a wee feature on the Cup final experience, I was full of hope that it would be one of the most enjoyable things I've ever written.

In reality I went upstairs when I got in. Sat for an hour or so in silence, wrote it, and then fell asleep on my sofa. You can give it a read here.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/unlucky-sons-dumbartons-big-day-12255048#ICID=sharebar_twitter

The planning committee will look only at planning regulations. They've recommended refusing permission based on planning regulations.

The full council can look beyond planning regulations and will make their decision by weighing up the problems that the planning department have flagged up against potential benefits to the community - considerations that the planning department can't take into account. From a planning point of view there was always likely to be significant barriers, most of which we've discussed on here and at the various fan meetings. It's green belt land. It has an area that is liable to flooding. There are concerns over access to and from the site given the state of  Renton Road and the A82 upgrades needed.

Balance that against the benefits. New homes in the area will mean additional council tax revenues and inward investment/jobs creation. Community sports facilities will have a genuine benefit to a lot of people in Dumbarton and the Vale of Leven. The land isnt exactly being put to much use right now other than dairy farming. It also moves the club from the current site - something that the council may well be interested in doing.

The argument Brabco will be presenting is that the potential benefits to Dumbarton and the Vale of Leven outweigh the planning drawbacks. Yes there are problems from a purely planning viewpoint, but the positives should tip the decision of the councillors in favour of the development. They'll feel that more individuals who contact the council to offer support will help strengthen their case. It may well do, although there has already been a statement from the trust giving conditional backing to the plans (and it is conditional - it isnt a blanket promise of support) and statements from several local youth teams about the benefits of the new facilities. It's possible that the greater local interest in the club in the run up to the cup final may also have helped create a buzz around the football club that could well have a bearing on individual councillors' voting intentions.

Clearly tomorrow's decision is of real significance. It doesnt guarantee that the club will move but a decision in Brabco's favour certainly takes the club closer to relocating. An adverse decision forces Brabco to consider appealing and raises the prospect of what they'll do next. Regardless, the future of the club marches on and whatever the outcome of tomorrow's meeting is, the club will have some realities to face on Thursday morning. Whatever decision is made, the club needs to deal with the consequences.

12 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

According to The Reporter newspaper, Ian Wilson already has a buyer/developer lined up for our current 'Rock site'.

The fellow who works Dalmoak Farm will block Renton Rd up to 3 times per day, moving his herd of dairy cows. :lol:

When I attended the Silverton Community Council meeting about a year back now that farmer was there and he said the same then.  He was fairly pissed off about these plans and it wouldn't surprise me if one of those "3 times per day" happened to fall between 2-3pm on a Saturday and perhaps again at 5pm...

27 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

This could be interesting.  Whatever the emotional arguments around the proposal, the Planning Committee verdict of 6-3 against was taken last week on dispassionate planning consent grounds and what seems like quite compelling ones at that.  If the full Council moves to ignore what is in effect an 'informed' recommendation by passing the outline proposal then is that a fait accompli, or is there likely to be any outcome of what would seem to be a contrarian decision ?  Do Planning officials have any further input on the traffic implications for example

And if we are to assume that emotion is now allowed to make a case, ie youth club Emails of support, then any councillor backing the plan should really consider when reaching their decision that it will be their name on the scoreboard should the whole plan subsequently unravel for whatever reason.  In that event, is there any likelihood of outline planning consent being granted subject to some fundamental changes in the details of the proposal ?

Any experts on here ??

The biggest issue is the impact on the roads so even if the Council go against the planners the issues around how the stadium would impact on the roads ie queuing back on to the A82 or along the Renton Road into West Bridgend are still going to have to be dealt with before any development

50 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Shameless plug time. I was asked to write a wee feature on the Cup final experience, I was full of hope that it would be one of the most enjoyable things I've ever written.

In reality I went upstairs when I got in. Sat for an hour or so in silence, wrote it, and then fell asleep on my sofa. You can give it a read here.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/unlucky-sons-dumbartons-big-day-12255048#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Good piece.

Reminds me a lot of our first run. It was so similar except we came from pretty much nothing whilst you've been operating at a decent League level for a long time now. In 1997 we were dawdling along as a part time side in what is now League 1. Not threatening to go up or down. Without a promotion since 1986. Without a title since 1951 and with no cup final appearances ever. We'd reached the semi finals of the first ever Challenge Cup in 1991 (losing 3-2 at Ayr after leading 2-0) but shown no sign of doing anything else in it since.

But a run of home wins followed by a surprise 2-0 away win in the semi final at Morton had us in unknown territory. A cup final which was against Falkirk at Motherwell. It came out of nothing and ticket sales just grew and grew until we took (I think) about 4,500 to that Final. It was an unknown time of excitement at Palmerston and it felt like we could really do it. In the end much like yours we just got edged out. We possibly had more of the chances in the final but were beaten 1-0 by David Hagen's goal.  All a bit of an anti-climax in the end but as I said before, it played a big part in waking the club up.

In 2000 we got lucky when Hamilton's strike saw us escape a thoroughly deserved relegation to the bottom League (we've still never played in it) but in 2002 we won our second ever title and got promoted to the 1st Division. 6 months later we were back in the Challenge Cup Final and this time beat Brechin in it. We established ourselves as clearly Scotland's best part time side (a title Dumbarton have held for a long time now) before turning full time in 2007 following another Great Escape from relegation when we came from 12 points behind Stranraer at the end of January to escape with a game to spare. 12 months later we were in the Scottish Cup Final and UEFA Cup. Another two Challenge Cup Finals (one win, one loss) have followed since and, in a one season sojourn back in League One, a divisional points record and another title.

It's been a pretty stellar 20 years really over the piece. Probably can't expect to follow all that but hopefully you'll be able to use the experience and interest levels raised to kick the club on a bit. Maybe be back in it sooner than another 100 years!

3 hours ago, ApacheSon said:

Gonna break away from the football talk for a minute and ask if anyone knows where I could track down a shirt from the promotion winning season of 95? Would be willing to pay good money for one, because quite frankly, it’s a belter

Was that a Diadora kit? 

Honestly no idea where you'll get one, obviously the likes of eBay should be looked at. Or the websites of Auction houses around Scotland, sign up for their email newsletter, for forthcoming sales,  pretty niche item though.

Good luck with your quest