Sons' sorrow

3 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

By a stroke of bad luck i'm meant to be at a gig in Glasgow that night. Extra time/penalties would be a real bugger.

I was at a gig in Edinburgh the same night we played the Challenge Cup final a few years ago, ended up perfectly timed to watch us lift the trophy and got there just as the gig started, brilliant day/night out. Hopefully you guys can get the same result (and the same end to the season) we did.

1 hour ago, Sons Fan said:

Agree 100%  this is a great time to get people in the town interested. 

Surprised we’ve never had a sign at the retail park (where ASDA is) advertising games.

Would be good to see an event at the stadium after the game, to celebrate getting to the final or the win.

Do a special offer on scarfs, even if they just break even get the colours out their.

A deal that if you go to final you can get into the remaining home games for a couple of quid off normal price. 

There are already a lot of ideas flying around, merchandise will definitely be available I would imagine. You're completely right, let's try and capitalise while we have their attention, it may be in vain but we must try.

There are already a lot of ideas flying around, merchandise will definitely be available I would imagine. You're completely right, let's try and capitalise while we have their attention, it may be in vain but we must try.

Could easily offer hospitality at the stadium from 12:00. Include bus to and from the game and a match ticket.

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

That Asda photo of yours should be used in some way.

Just now, BallochSonsFan said:

Could easily offer hospitality at the stadium from 12:00. Include bus to and from the game and a match ticket.

Yip, there's plenty of scope for stuff like this IMO. 

For example, you could have Froxy in the supporters bar from 9am on game day and anyone who wants to go in and give him a kiss for good luck pays a fiver. Could likely cover the playing budget for next year.

Just now, boomboomyards said:

That Asda photo of yours should be used in some way.

:lol:

If we still had more than 2 of those players playing for us I'd be all for it.

Anyone know what the matter was with Mango last night? Aidan Wilson did ok after a really shaky start, but I'd prefer to have us at full strength for this weekend.

I wasn't convinced with the lad Wilson last night. He has a tendancy to let the ball bounce which was leading to a few hairy moments. The opposite of Barr who would fly through a brick wall head first to get a head on the ball. He is young though and should provide decent backup when required.

I'm also not convinced with Dick. I feel positionally he's starting to look poor and he's very cheap in possession. Very much a downgrade on McLaughlin IMO.

Russell is another who isn't impressing me. I'm not really sure what he's offering us at the minute, he seems to have lost his pace and isn't contributing a great deal. Perhaps he's not fit.

Nisbet is another one I'm not convinced with. I'd rather Nade playing over him, even if his career is winding down.

To counteract the negativity I was impressed with the lad Burt last night. His final ball let him down at times but he looks an upgrade on Roy and Gallagher. Stirling also looked sharp which was good to see. I also think we look twice the team when Stewart plays, even when he's having a quiet game by his standards his clever runs create space for others.

43 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Anyone know what the matter was with Mango last night? Aidan Wilson did ok after a really shaky start, but I'd prefer to have us at full strength for this weekend.

Funnily enough when watching the TNS highlights I noticed Mango taking a sore one in the last few seconds. In a way it was wonderful to watch, he was on the ground for about 10 seconds clearly in a bit of pain, Dowie offered him a hand and he got up then turned around and screamed at Hutton and Davie Smith to get the f**k up the park :lol: But I did wonder if he was just being left out to give him time to recover from TNS, he was throwing his body everywhere and the fact he wasn't mentioned as injured in the preview sort of supports that view I think.

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

To counteract the negativity I was impressed with the lad Burt last night. His final ball let him down at times but he looks an upgrade on Roy and Gallagher. Stirling also looked sharp which was good to see. I also think we look twice the team when Stewart plays, even when he's having a quiet game by his standards his clever runs create space for others.

Stewart's movement made Handling's goal against TNS, IMO. One simple run dragged two defenders the opposite direction and gave Handling the space to shoot. He's easily the best striker we've got and if we can keep him fit to the end of the season I'm confident our form will improve.

12 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I wasn't convinced with the lad Wilson last night. He has a tendancy to let the ball bounce which was leading to a few hairy moments. The opposite of Barr who would fly through a brick wall head first to get a head on the ball. He is young though and should provide decent backup when required.

I'm also not convinced with Dick. I feel positionally he's starting to look poor and he's very cheap in possession. Very much a downgrade on McLaughlin IMO.

Russell is another who isn't impressing me. I'm not really sure what he's offering us at the minute, he seems to have lost his pace and isn't contributing a great deal. Perhaps he's not fit.

Nisbet is another one I'm not convinced with. I'd rather Nade playing over him, even if his career is winding down.

Aye, I'd agree with all of that. Wilson was really hesitant at first, but he seemed to settle a bit more as the game went on. I did expect him to be a wee bit better on the ball than he was though, but I'll out that down to inexperience. Mango's uncompromising in the air, so I suppose he was always going to be a bit different.

Dick is to Boomer what Davie Smith is to Wardrop. He's alright, but we're definitely not as good with him in the team as we are with the first choice. His pace gets him out of a few issues, and he's alright in the air, but he offers next to nothing going forward.

I love Beany, but I'd agree. It'll obviously take him a bit of time to get up to sharpness, but last night (for the most part) he was just half a second slow. Nisbet is pretty much what I expected. Very meh.

If we can keep the front four of Burt (who, final ball aside, actually looked confident running at people, and has an eye for a pass), Froxy (:wub:), Stirling (tremendous last night, even if he was struggling a wee bit for fitness by the end) and Stewart (beginning to look like our most important player given the difference when he's not on the park) along with Walsh when he's back, fit, then I think we should be quite nice to watch going forward. Given I'm resigned to ninth now, playing some entertaining stuff would be a nice wee boost.

15 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Funnily enough when watching the TNS highlights I noticed Mango taking a sore one in the last few seconds. In a way it was wonderful to watch, he was on the ground for about 10 seconds clearly in a bit of pain, Dowie offered him a hand and he got up then turned around and screamed at Hutton and Davie Smith to get the f**k up the park :lol: But I did wonder if he was just being left out to give him time to recover from TNS, he was throwing his body everywhere and the fact he wasn't mentioned as injured in the preview sort of supports that view I think.

Stewart's movement made Handling's goal against TNS, IMO. One simple run dragged two defenders the opposite direction and gave Handling the space to shoot. He's easily the best striker we've got and if we can keep him fit to the end of the season I'm confident our form will improve.

I did wonder if that might've been it. Although two games in a short space of time (including one on Astro) probably doesn't suit him. He was colossal at the weekend though. 

The difference when Stewart came on against TNS (certainly on the tele) and when he went off last night was incredible.