Sons' sorrow

51 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

If we get offered reasonable money (I've no idea what that is for a 21 year old part-time player with 6 months left on his deal) then we should probably take it to be honest.

Walsh is a great player when he's flying, and I'd be really sad to lose him, but if it allowed Stevie to bring in a good quality striker then taking it might not be the worst option. Especially with Froxy and Handling able to play in the #10 role.

*Goalkeeper

Just now, Thommo90 said:

hearing that Andy Stirling is potentially coming back in January....

Post-Christmas Andy Stirling is the best sort of Andy Stirling. Replacing Johnston with him would be sensational.

2 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

*Goalkeeper

Nah, definitely a striker. I want to see us winning and losing games 6-4 - if we're going down lets do it in style!

hearing that Andy Stirling is potentially coming back in January....

Don't know what he has to do to get a run of games but it's not happening for him just now even though he seems to be liked by the fans from what we've seen of him.

If he's going in January then GN had better have a good replacement lined up as our options out wide are minimal just now as it is.

Don't know what he has to do to get a run of games but it's not happening for him just now even though he seems to be liked by the fans from what we've seen of him.

If he's going in January then GN had better have a good replacement lined up as our options out wide are minimal just now as it is.
Andy Stirling seems to be one of these guys who only thrives under Stevie Aitken's management. He's signed him three times, and he's enjoyed the best form of his career during those stints. He didn't do much at Stenny or the Pars (afaik) yet on his day with us (and the same with Stranraer) he was as good as anyone in the league.

I'd be over the moon to have him back, and if him and Naysmith isn't working for whatever reason then I wouldn't be shocked to see it happen either.

50 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Effectively 14 of a squad atm, including Stirling. 

6 hours ago, sonsanorak said:

Dundee United and Inverness Caledonian Thistle are keen to sign midfielder Tom Walsh from Championship rivals Dumbarton during January. (Daily Record, print edition)

Surprised at this rumour tbh. Would miss Walshy; when on his game he's one of our best players.

Hoping Duffy would be interested in him as well as he seems to be having a good season. We don't have a natural winger apart from Tiffoney who is still only 19  and not long out the dev squad so could really do with another.

Andy Stirling seems to be one of these guys who only thrives under Stevie Aitken's management. He's signed him three times, and he's enjoyed the best form of his career during those stints. He didn't do much at Stenny or the Pars (afaik) yet on his day with us (and the same with Stranraer) he was as good as anyone in the league.

I'd be over the moon to have him back, and if him and Naysmith isn't working for whatever reason then I wouldn't be shocked to see it happen either.

I wouldn't call him a flop under GN, far from it. I just had a look there and so far this season he has had 4 games in a row in the league and that has been the last 4 games. Other than that he has had a couple of starts and a few sub appearances. I don't know what GN expects of him if he isn't getting a run of games. The worst thing about his exclusion is that his competition in his position have been OK at best. Hardly sewn up that position. I'm not the only one who can't figure why he hasn't been given more game time.

As Flash has pointed out, we are short of players in general so unless there is definitely a replacement lined up then I'll be extremely shocked (and disappointed) if he leaves in January. It's a 2 year contract as well so I assume it would be a loan deal as I can't imagine Dumbarton buying out a year and a half contract?

I wouldn't call him a flop under GN, far from it. I just had a look there and so far this season he has had 4 games in a row in the league and that has been the last 4 games. Other than that he has had a couple of starts and a few sub appearances. I don't know what GN expects of him if he isn't getting a run of games. The worst thing about his exclusion is that his competition in his position have been OK at best. Hardly sewn up that position. I'm not the only one who can't figure why he hasn't been given more game time.

As Flash has pointed out, we are short of players in general so unless there is definitely a replacement lined up then I'll be extremely shocked (and disappointed) if he leaves in January. It's a 2 year contract as well so I assume it would be a loan deal as I can't imagine Dumbarton buying out a year and a half contract?
We couldn't afford a Mars bar on eBay right now [emoji26]

I’ve seen a couple of post on the Sons Vs Livi thread saying that Gallagher has cost us games.

Out of interest, I’m looking at those posters who have all the stats has he actually cost us a game from mistakes?

Don’t get me wrong I fully agree he makes some howlers but has he actually cost us a game.

I’ve seen a couple of post on the Sons Vs Livi thread saying that Gallagher has cost us games.

Out of interest, I’m looking at those posters who have all the stats has he actually cost us a game from mistakes?

Don’t get me wrong I fully agree he makes some howlers but has he actually cost us a game.
I'll have a wee look to work it out when I get in tonight if nobody else does. It depends on the definition of cost - as obviously stats don't look at the mental impact conceding can have.

I'm inclined to think that they will agree with your point though

2 hours ago, Sons Fan said:

Right here we go. League games only as I can' t be bothered with the rest. I've also put the word directly in, as it is unfair to single him out solely for certain points being dropped. Even on Saturday Tom Walsh blazed a glorious to make it 2-1, which could've changed things completely. Ultimately it's a team game, and so (as horribly cliched as it is) every player plays a role in every win and defeat.

Dunfermline Athletic - H - L 0-4 - Mistake made to make it 0-4 with a poor clearance. Points dropped = 0

Brechin City - H - W 2-1 - Mistake made to make it 0-1, turns cross into his own net. Points dropped = 0

Livingston - A - L 2-1 - Comes for late free-kick, mix-up between him and Greg Morrison. Points dropped = 1

St Mirren - H - L 0-2 - Comes to punch cross, misses and John Sutton heads in. Points dropped = 0

Dundee United - H - L 0-2 - Woefully defended short corner squeezes underneath him. I'd blame the defence more than Gal for that to be honest. Points dropped = 0

Livingston - H - L 1-4 - Yeh, lets not try and describe that! Points dropped = 0

I think it'd be harsh to blame him for any of the other goals we've conceded in the league. Ultimately he makes mistakes but, as you asked, he doesn't actually directly cost us games.

I wrote about it last week, but what is seriously hurting us (beside the lack of a goalscorer and a left-back!) is our total inability to defend from dead ball situations. Gallacher has to take his share of the blame for that, however guys like Dowie and Mango who are experienced, vocal players, should be doing everything in their power to stop that happening. These stats are utterly appalling. 

We've conceded 36 goals in competitive games so far this season, and 17 of them have came from corners, (long or direct) free-kicks or penalties. That's 47%! According to my fag packet maths in the Lennox after the ICT game those goals have cost us 11 points. I've stuck what I wrote in the paper about it below - but that's something Stevie and Durrant need to address pronto.

Spoiler

Saturday’s defeat to Inverness came as a result of a recurring trend in Dumbarton’s season, the concession of goals from dead ball situations.

Since July Sons have conceded 15 times from free-kicks, corners or penalties. Put another way, 46.8% of the 32 goals conceded this season have came from a dead ball.

Whilst the league table still makes positive reading for Dumbarton fans, it could’ve looked a whole lot better. By removing the goals conceded from corners and free-kicks in the league alone, Stevie Aitken’s side would be a staggering 11 points better off. 28 points (at the time of writing) would have us sitting third in the Championship!

Obviously it’s totally unrealistic to expect a team that never concedes from a set-play. I fully accept that - and if I knew a way to do it I’d probably be in management myself!

Reducing this figure even slightly though would bring huge rewards. In a league as competitive as the Championship, taking a point from Saturday’s game against Inverness could’ve been massive.

Looking back at the first four months of the season though, one game sticks out above others as being an opportunity blown by our achilles heel. Livingston away in September. 

The performance more than merited all three points. Unfortunately Sons left empty handed thanks to an early header from a corner, and a late scramble from a free-kick.

Only come the end of the season will we know how damaging that defeat was to our survival chances.

"John Sutton, 34, turns down possible loan moves to Dumbarton and Raith Rovers to stay and fight for his place at St Mirren. (Daily Record, print edition)"
:bairn

Tbh if Sutton is happy collecting skelfs on his arse instead of going out on loan for regular game time then he's absolutely not what we need. Clearly thinks he's above it.

Regarding Scott Gallacher - it doesn't matter if he's directly costing points. He's costing goals. Goals which can change the momentum of games and leave us with a worse goal difference (look how important that was last year).

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Tbh if Sutton is happy collecting skelfs on his arse instead of going out on loan for regular game time then he's absolutely not what we need. Clearly thinks he's above it.

Regarding Scott Gallacher - it doesn't matter if he's directly costing points. He's costing goals. Goals which can change the momentum of games and leave us with a worse goal difference (look how important that was last year).

Am disappointed in Sutton's attitude. The manager has made it clear since he took over than Sutton was not in his plans and had tried to fix him up in deals elsewhere however John refuses to leave. It doesn't help us or him.

As much as John Sutton sounds like he could be the sort of player that could really gee us along, as BBPF says, if his attitude is turning down a loan when he's clearly not in Jack Ross' plans, then he's definitely not what we need.

We need someone with desire and drive to succeed and improve us. That doesn't sound like John Sutton to me.

What's Ryan Hardie doing at the moment I wonder...