Sons' sorrow

This Betfred Cup shite is absolutely killing us.

I firmly believe there's 3 players (soon to be 4) that wouldn't be playing for us this season if it wasn't for this shitey cup and we had further time to work on signing targets.

I may well be wrong but that's the way I see it.

Your club was pretty slow off the mark in starting its business in the summer though - including securing a manager to identify and bring in players. The restraints of waiting for roughly three loan signings from the top flight applies to half the division as well.

It's not really the cup organisers' fault that Dumbarton were a uniquely disorganised mess and can't get a credible squad together for mid-July IMO.

Your club was pretty slow off the mark in starting its business in the summer though - including securing a manager to identify and bring in players. The restraints of waiting for roughly three loan signings from the top flight applies to half the division as well.

It's not really the cup organisers' fault that Dumbarton were a uniquely disorganised mess and can't get a credible squad together for mid-July IMO.

I agree, we were very slow off the mark, something I was majorly critical of at the time. Aitken humming and hawing over a new deal meant he was scrambling a bit.

Regardless, in order for us to bring in quality we often have to wait until later in the window, not just for loan signings but for permanent signings too. Players will often hold out for a full-time deal and when that doesn't pan out they will start to consider our offer. It was the exact same last season and there was no fucking about at the start of the window.

Having a squad ready by the 2nd week July is a huge task for us. We don't have the budget to operate with 20 plus players, we tend to run with around 18, which allows us to add quality rather than quantity, thus giving us a chance of competing with teams in this league. When you're having to go into a competitive match 3 or 4 signings short, regardless of inuries, then you're onto plums. This season has seen us struggle with injuries meaning we're having to bulk numbers with fairly average signings (IMO). We don't have any youth players due our funding being cut and us being unable to afford to run it ourselves.

I'm not saying the cup is a nightmare for everyone, but for a part-time side competing in a (mostly) full-time league and having to bide your time for quality signings it most certainly is.

4 minutes ago, paisleysaints said:

Has Alex Rae joined your backroom staff seem to be signing a few ex saints

Ian Durrant is there so....

5 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Ehm...we appear to have signed Kyle Hutton...

I know we said Carswell was shite, but he was a million times better than Hutton.

If you want to recreate the 'can't win until December' St Mirren side, sure we have a few others you've not signed yet!

I know we said Carswell was shite, but he was a million times better than Hutton.
If you want to recreate the 'can't win until December' St Mirren side, sure we have a few others you've not signed yet!

We'll take Ryan Hardie!

Aye. This is not great...I'd imagine it means that G.Gal is indeed out for the foreseeable.

15 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Ehm...we appear to have signed Kyle Hutton...

Be afraid be very afraid, Hutton is unquestionably the worst midfielder I've ever had the misfortune to see in a Saints jersey. If Carswell gets injured and this is his back up then God help you guys.

So that's Hutton, Walsh, Gallagher and Gallacher you've got who we binned in January, as well as Carswell who we got shot of in the summer. Seems an interesting transfer strategy - although no doubt we'll still not be able to beat you.

At 5:30 you'll see Hutton's finest moment in a Saints shirt. I mean drawing away from home after having a horrible run, he provides the perfect assist for a late winner. He was thoroughly shite in that game and after the Morton debacle not seen again- Jack Ross going with youth players instead! 

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I find it quite odd we've chosen to sign Hutton over the lad McManus.

Agreed, wasn't the best but would have done a better job and will be on lower wages.

Plus the fact he is young and will have points to prove.

10 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

At 5:30 you'll see Hutton's finest moment in a Saints shirt. I mean drawing away from home after having a horrible run, he provides the perfect assist for a late winner. He was thoroughly shite in that game and after the Morton debacle not seen again- Jack Ross going with youth players instead! 

Fantastic low cross though. Play him as a winger, Dumbarton.

15 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

No no no, that's not nearly high enough definition to appreciate the herp-derpitude of Kyle Hutton!