Sons' sorrow

2 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

The enigma that is Darren Miller...

He must go down as one of our strangest signings of Aitken's time. Didn't work out and bizarrely didn't play a competitive minute for us, am I correct So08?

You are indeed. He played in the friendly games against Edinburgh City (W1-0), Hearts (W2-0) Partick Thistle (L2-3) and Clydebank (W2-1), but that was it.

A weird player, with an equally as weird career

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darren_Miller_(footballer)

Edited by Sonsteam of 08
Missed the Hearts game

13 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

Must be remembered that he didn't play for Dumbarton with the exception of a couple of friendlies.

Much like the wonderfully named Emmanuel Panther...played for us in a closed door friendly back in 08 or thereabouts

You are indeed. He played in the friendly games against Edinburgh City (W1-0), Hearts (W2-0) Partick Thistle (L2-3) and Clydebank (W2-1), but that was it.
A weird player, with an equally as weird career
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darren_Miller_(footballer)

I thought he got some game time against queens park in the cup when they put us out after extra time at Hampden. Or did that game go to extra time? Seem to remember Fleming missing a pen right at the end of the 90 to win it and we ended up getting put out.

I thought he got some game time against queens park in the cup when they put us out after extra time at Hampden. Or did that game go to extra time? Seem to remember Fleming missing a pen right at the end of the 90 to win it and we ended up getting put out.

It went to extra time, aye, and Gaz missed an injury time penalty (I think his only spot kick miss for the club) but Miller was an unused sub.

According to my wee match sheet we made all three subs after 56 minutes: Willie Gibson for Jordan Kirkpatrick, Steven Craig for Gordon Smith and Mark Docherty for Calum Waters.

Would be quite happy with that. I liked him during his first spell, and I reckon once he settles down he'll be a very decent player at this level.

Would be quite happy with that. I liked him during his first spell, and I reckon once he settles down he'll be a very decent player at this level.

I have to say I wasn't particularly impressed....I kept waiting on seeing a premiership class player...and other than occasional glimpses...he didn't do enough to me

Nowhere near the quality of Stirling or Vaughan or Stanton

2 minutes ago, aftershocker said:

I have to say I wasn't particularly impressed....I kept waiting on seeing a premiership class player...and other than occasional glimpses...he didn't do enough to me

Inconsistent sums him up best. He looked disinterested at times and every time he had a decent game he would follow it up with a poor one.

His delivery was very good though. Better than anyone we had in the team last year I'd say. He may have matured a bit and could potentially be a decent addition. Wouldn't be adverse to giving him a chance.

11 minutes ago, aftershocker said:

Could be better  this time around as he is a bit older or mature.Its make or break for him now so he has to impress.SA obviously saw enough to want him back for a 2nd spell.Also SA is good at getting the best out of players.

Is Vaughn still tied to Raith or does he want away?

He's never played in the Premiership, so that's probably why you didn't get a Premiership standard player ;)

He isn't dissimilar to Stirling. Walsh had a good game, then an anonymous one. Stirling had an anonymous six months, then a great five months. That's what you'll get with wingers, especially in our market.

Don't forget either that, aside from brief spells playing with Rangers, it was his first taste of Championship football. I think he'd be a good addition, and giving him regular football for the first time in his career would only help him improve.

Stevie clearly likes him, and he seemed to have a decent attitude, especially towards the end of his time with us. With a point to prove, and a hunger to return to full-time football I think he could be another solid signing.

I would happy enough with Walsh. I wasn't a huge fan of him previously but he did turn in a few right good performances. I'm sure with a proper run of games and Stevie's guidance he'd be fine.

Did he ever sign for Derry? I remember there being chat of him heading there on trial but his Wikipedia doesn't seem to have any mention of him ever joining them.