Sons' sorrow

Barr on why he moved on, if any of you still care: http://gmfc.net/2017/06/06/barr-ton-coaching-role-was-great-opportunity/
Dumbarton were brilliant with me. I can’t thank them enough. I was there two years, I was captain, and we stayed up and competed really well in the Championship, and I could have stayed. So it was a big decision – but the right one. At this time in my life, I think this is the right step for me. This is a good club and a great opportunity to be given, because I know Morton place real importance on the development squad.

Barr always seemed a genuine character and this was probably too good a chance for him to turn down at this stage of his career, good luck to the fella.

Mortons circumstances and ydi could be significantly different to ours.

I understand that to be part of the 16 team elite group you need 6 full time ydi staff. I'd be surprised if morton had that so perhaps they intend to operate in the group of clubs that'll set up a separate programme of their own. Morton being at least twice as big as us probably allows them to spend more than us, as does their league position prize money, as does their cup run and play off home game.

Interesting to read you guys thoughts on the lack of player recruitment at Dumbarton presently.
If I remember in the past certainly when he was at Stranraer Stevie Aitken was usually straight out of the blocks and got his new signings in early doors before he went on his holidays.
As regarding pre-season games I wonder whether the club were just holding off until the Betfred Cup draw was made so they were not arranging games against sides they could end up being paired with.

6 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

With Barr going to be head of youth at Morton. I assume they won't be affected by the project brace funding cuts that our youth development was hit with?

They'll probably be affected, it's just that they're more likely to be able to fund the youth programme themselves.

Good point made by Moonster in the ticket price thread...

I wonder if our new chairman is going to release some form statement, at the very least introducing himself to supporters and maybe giving us a few words on his aims and goals.

It's all well and good folk saying he's nice and friendly but we haven't heard a peep from the c**t so far. All he's done is come in, hike up prices and stay silent.

Bring back Alan Jardine.

13 minutes ago, Iggy Plop said:

Interesting to read you guys thoughts on the lack of player recruitment at Dumbarton presently.
If I remember in the past certainly when he was at Stranraer Stevie Aitken was usually straight out of the blocks and got his new signings in early doors before he went on his holidays.
As regarding pre-season games I wonder whether the club were just holding off until the Betfred Cup draw was made so they were not arranging games against sides they could end up being paired with.

That's certainly been the case in his previous two seasons at the Rock. In 2015 he brought in Grant Gallagher and Gregor Buchanan on his second day, whilst last year we had Andy Stirling, Craig Pettigrew and Robert Thomson all agreed to deals before the playoffs finished.

Maybe he does have deals agreed, but players are on holiday or it's agreed that they'll meet up and all sign on a single day. Who knows. I'm desperate for us to announce something positive soon though. This pre-season, with players leaving, prices flying up and us not signing anyone, has been as miserable as I can remember.

That's certainly been the case in his previous two seasons at the Rock. In 2015 he brought in Grant Gallagher and Gregor Buchanan on his second day, whilst last year we had Andy Stirling, Craig Pettigrew and Robert Thomson all agreed to deals before the playoffs finished.
Maybe he does have deals agreed, but players are on holiday or it's agreed that they'll meet up and all sign on a single day. Who knows. I'm desperate for us to announce something positive soon though. This pre-season, with players leaving, prices flying up and us not signing anyone, has been as miserable as I can remember.

Would it perk your spirits a bit if John Baird was spotted within a well-known supermarket buying some hake?

On the subject of linking ourselves with totally random, free agent, players, Craig Barr has announced that he is leaving Raith. Now, like another Barr, he's had serious injury problems. In fact he's not managed a full season in years, however if we could keep him fit he'd be an absolute belter of an addition. A big, classy centre-half, who can also do a job in centre-mid if required.

D.Barr was pretty much a write-off when he arrived, but he rarely missed a game. I'd guess part-time training is less stressful on the body, so it could work with C.Barr.

I suspect we won't risk signing him, but it's just another name I fancied chucking out there in an attempt to cure my boredom.

1 minute ago, optimistic said:

I've heard rumours of a BIG striker coming in, but no details as to previous teams in afraid, fpitk 

Dylan Mackin, recently released by Motherwell, would be my guess. I had thought he might go back to Alloa, but with them taking Flembot, Craig Malcolm and Kris Renton I don't see them looking for another targetman type.