Sons' sorrow

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Lets never compare Lawrence Shankland to Stephen Dobbie ever again.

I do agree though, there is almost certainly a player in there. I'm not sure we're in a position to gamble though, I don't imagine he'd be signing on for peanuts

I'm not sure how much he'd be looking for, because I can't really see another f/t team taking a chance on him (maybe with the exception of someone like Airdrie). Guess it depends what offers he has, but I certainly wouldn't be averse to signing him.

If it's between him and Baird though (speaking in a purely hypothetical, rumour driven sense) then I'd go for Baird every single time.

Absolutely desperate for a #ThrillerThursday. I need my signing fix. 

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I'm not sure how much he'd be looking for, because I can't really see another f/t team taking a chance on him (maybe with the exception of someone like Airdrie). Guess it depends what offers he has, but I certainly wouldn't be averse to signing him.

If it's between him and Baird though (speaking in a purely hypothetical, rumour driven sense) then I'd go for Baird every single time.

Absolutely desperate for a #ThrillerThursday. I need my signing fix. 

I'm not holding out any great hope that we'll see that calibre of player here next season.  I've no doubt that we have a number of signing targets but converting them into signings becomes the hard part.  If by this time next week we've not added anyone I'll be getting seriously nervous.

#patienceremainsthekeybutonlyuptoapoint

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

Interesting follow up on the youth set up.

os now looking for ball boys . A roll carried out by the academy boys since about 2008. 

There was a bit of a fall out at the time when the original boys wee sacked in favour of the youth. 

Now gone full circle 

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/15320523.Stevie_Aitken_focused_on_Dumbarton_amid_Inverness_link/

I can't find this "link" to the Inverness job anywhere else on the internet aside from in this article.  Seems like a puff piece to me, but perhaps something to keep an eye on. I suppose if he goes now then at least we'll be quids in with him having a full 2 years to run.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/15320523.Stevie_Aitken_focused_on_Dumbarton_amid_Inverness_link/

I can't find this "link" to the Inverness job anywhere else on the internet aside from in this article.  Seems like a puff piece to me, but perhaps something to keep an eye on. I suppose if he goes now then at least we'll be quids in with him having a full 2 years to run.

Never trust anything that spells the SeaGal's name incorrectly. 

Surely Stevie didn't do an interview when he's sunning himself abroad? :lol:

6 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Never trust anything that spells the SeaGal's name incorrectly. 

Surely Stevie didn't do an interview when he's sunning himself abroad? :lol:

I reckon Stevie would need to be in intensive care to stop him doing an interview. He's a lovely guy, no doubt, and I'm glad he's with us but he absolutely loves media attention. Not sure I like his line about contracts not meaning as much as they used to mind you, reads like a wee bit of a "come and get me" plea.

Edited by The Moonster

I wouldn't expect Stevie to not tentatively insert himself into any managerial merry-go-round or leave his options slightly open despite having signed a two year deal with us.

I can't say I'm happy about it, but that's the way it is. He's our manager and I hope it remains that way.

I do have a slight worry about a possible forthcoming managerial vacancy in Paisley though...

I can't say I've heard anything today, but I wouldn't be shocked. Your final sentence sums things up perfectly. Ideally we'd have a great youth system (like Hamilton, Falkirk etc) bringing through fantastic homegrown talent, and selling them on. Ultimately though it's been a failure over the last decade (one or two aside). Whether that's the fault of the scouts, the coaching, the club, the management or simply how saturated the market is around us, I don't know. However with 'Project Brave' seemingly squeezing the funding even more, it's not worth spraying a decent chunk of money at unfortunately.

I can't really add anything different which conveys my thoughts than this to be honest. At the end of the day, it's been vastly unproductive with regards to first team players or sell-ons, it costs money and any decent players get cherry-picked anyway. It's a sad indictment on the state of the Scottish game, but I can't say I disagree with or will shed any tears over our youth set-up being disbanded, as sad as it is for those involved.

Andy Mclaren was on record recently saying that football in Scotland was becoming very firmly middle class and Project Brave very definitively is establishing just that.
Craig Brown also highlighted the fact that in countries like Iceland and Estonia , the governments have invested heavily in good infrastructure for sport at a community level.He said Scotland was miles behind in comparison.It does come down to politics and priorities i suppose.I am not a politician by any means but i do believe Holyrood should be taking the bull by the horns in this matter.

I listened with interest to Andy McLaren's thoughts on it and he made a lot of sense. But I think that while the whole 'community football' and 'making it affordable to all' aspects have immense value, it's really a very different kettle of fish for YDI's for the likes of Dumbarton.

I'm all for football in the community being improved and making it available for all and not making it available dependant on class or income, but at the end of the day, clubs like Dumbarton get comparatively minuscule return on a YDI whilst presumably, making a relatively sizeable outlay. Therefore it makes sense to disband it if the little funding we get already is being decreased or even withdrawn completely.

Really wouldn't be keen on Shankland, immobile and doesn't score many, we have the Prince and he offers far more than I've ever seen Shankland offer. There's surely better options there, Hilson, McHugh or Baird would do me.

I'd love to see Baird in a Sons shirt and the optimist in me thinks it'd be a good match for both. Whether there's the remotest chance of it happening is another thing altogether though...

3 hours ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

I can't really add anything different which conveys my thoughts than this to be honest. At the end of the day, it's been vastly unproductive with regards to first team players or sell-ons, it costs money and any decent players get cherry-picked anyway. It's a sad indictment on the state of the Scottish game, but I can't say I disagree with or will shed any tears over our youth set-up being disbanded, as sad as it is for those involved.

I listened with interest to Andy McLaren's thoughts on it and he made a lot of sense. But I think that while the whole 'community football' and 'making it affordable to all' aspects have immense value, it's really a very different kettle of fish for YDI's for the likes of Dumbarton.

I'm all for football in the community being improved and making it available for all and not making it available dependant on class or income, but at the end of the day, clubs like Dumbarton get comparatively minuscule return on a YDI whilst presumably, making a relatively sizeable outlay. Therefore it makes sense to disband it if the little funding we get already is being decreased or even withdrawn completely.

I'd love to see Baird in a Sons shirt and the optimist in me thinks it'd be a good match for both. Whether there's the remotest chance of it happening is another thing altogether though...

I agree with our decision to disband it now that funding has been withdrawn, but my point is Central or local government should be funding it for the reasons i gave.Right now the club cannot afford to maintain it.

A post on Facebook linking us with Craig Samson and former Aberdeen U20s player Jamie Henry.

Henry is from Clydebank by the looks of things, and appears to be a utility man. Capable of playing at RB/CM/10 or upfront. I know little about him, apart from the fact he spent an unproductive loan spell with Arbroath a few years ago. His versatility and locality (combined, I would assume with a low wage) mean that it's a move I could maybe see happening.  

Samson is a 'keeper I've never really been a fan of. He seems to have a nasty habit of parrying the ball directly to opposition players. He's had a decent career though, but I can't help but feel that signing him would be a bit too Mark Browny.

It could, of course, all be complete drivel. But at least it's given me something to think about!

A post on Facebook linking us with Craig Samson and former Aberdeen U20s player Jamie Henry.
Henry is from Clydebank by the looks of things, and appears to be a utility man. Capable of playing at RB/CM/10 or upfront. I know little about him, apart from the fact he spent an unproductive loan spell with Arbroath a few years ago. His versatility and locality (combined, I would assume with a low wage) mean that it's a move I could maybe see happening.  
Samson is a 'keeper I've never really been a fan of. He seems to have a nasty habit of parrying the ball directly to opposition players. He's had a decent career though, but I can't help but feel that signing him would be a bit too Mark Browny.
It could, of course, all be complete drivel. But at least it's given me something to think about!

I don't know anything of Henry and I'm in the same boat as you with regards Samson. Always been a bit Langfieldy IMO in that he might be solid for a bit but you're always waiting for him to chuck one in.