Sons' sorrow

Just now, Stu said:

We have signed Gregor Buchanan from you. Is he any good?

FFS

Aye. Pair him up with Gary Mackenzie and you'll have a belting central defensive duo. Probably the most consistent player under Aitken

Stevie Aitken’s first signing, and arguably his most consistent. Buchanan has been a virtual ever present under Aitken, and must be one of the most sought after part-time players in the country. 

The big centre-back rarely puts a foot wrong, and formed impressive partnerships with Frazer Wright, Darren Barr and Mark Docherty during his time at the Rock. He’s growing into more of a leader every week and, should he be as settled as he appears to be, could quite easily go on to have a very long and successful career in G82.

Then again he could move on in the summer, such are the joys of supporting a part-time team! If he is to leave however, it will take a big player to replace him. Literally and metaphorically.

We have signed Gregor Buchanan from you. Is he any good?

He's very Good in the air and will win a lot of headers. I wouldn't say he's fast but he's not slow either. In terms of tackling he's pretty solid and was comfortably our best centre back over the past 2 years.

Makes the decision to release Tom Lang look a bit silly.

I hate st Mirren and this just makes it even worse! Buchanan has been excellent for us! Can't blame him for having a crack at FT football, he's more than good enough. Good luck to him, hope he scores a few OGs against us mind you!

So big Bucky is off to st mirren then, I wonder if the reduced wage offer had anything to do with it, don't think he will be the only one to go as the players who kept the team up should be rewarded rather than given reduced offers. Loyalty has to work both ways.

Just now, patchh333 said:

So big Bucky is off to st mirren then, I wonder if the reduced wage offer had anything to do with it, don't think he will be the only one to go as the players who kept the team up should be rewarded rather than given reduced offers. Loyalty has to work both ways.

The only first team player still to make up his mind appears to be Barr. I'd imagine he'll be on a decent wage too, so who knows what he'll do.

It's not a matter of loyalty on either part though. It's a matter of us offering them what we can afford (with our reduced budget), and them moving on if they can get a more attractive deal elsewhere. Full-time football and, potentially, double the wages? I know what I'd do in Buchanan's situation, and it would involve wearing black and white stripes next season.

If anyone would like the win the £16m in the Sons Lotto soon then that'd be smashing.

Not a lack of ambition. We are skint. Least income In the league bar Brechin. To increase the budget beyond expected income would mean going into debt and our owners will not dip into their pockets unfortunately.

Let's be clear also our board are not Brabco and I don't see much blame on them for us having less budget than last year. E.g no Hibs.

3 minutes ago, patchh333 said:

Yes I agree with what you say, but reduced budget, why then give the manager a 2 year deal. It just shows a total lack of ambition from the board

The reduced budget thing is beyond disappointing. I suppose it's the price you pay for owners who have no interest in anything other than making some cash.

Hopefully this helps any fans currently supporting the 'project shiny' move to reconsider. If Brabco were serious about the club, they'd inject some cash.

disappointing about Buchanan, but probably to be expected when he didn't sign up in the initial batch of players

I guess its a sign of how well we did last season that our best players are moving up to bigger and full time clubs

still hoping Barr signs on - him and Ben Gordon could make quite a good pairing

2 minutes ago, patchh333 said:

Well it looks like sons will need to rely on loan players then if there is no cash available, looks like another long hard slog ahead

It will be loan players and a hard slog. We knew that.

Even Celtic had loan players. That is the way the system is now. Pre Bosman, wee clubs could command a fee for players, even when their contract was up. That option isn't open now so the loan system is at least an attempt at sharing resources.

4 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

The reduced budget thing is beyond disappointing. I suppose it's the price you pay for owners who have no interest in anything other than making some cash.

Hopefully this helps any fans currently supporting the 'project shiny' move to reconsider. If Brabco were serious about the club, they'd inject some cash.

it is the nature of Scottish football - I would imagine there will be a few other teams in the championship reducing budgets, e.g. Dunfermline (after losing Raith). Personally I would prefer that we as a club break even each season. We don't have a rich sugar daddy so we will just continue to do what we've done for the past 5 years. I do wonder though whether or not the budget reduction is significant, given that Stevie Aitken was happy to sign up to 2 year deal - perhaps it was his best option if the Raith job wasn't going his way...we'll never probably know

I don't think though that the budget reduction has any bearing on any potential stadium move. All sides seem to have acknowledged that it will only happen if its financially viable. I have no objection in principle to a move, provided the Sons Trust get the transparency and reassurances they are seeking. And by that, I would hope to see concrete proposals that the club get a share of / all the potential additional non football related income. This would actually allow us to grow the club

6 minutes ago, patchh333 said:

I hear flembot has a few offers from other clubs and is considering them, now there is s guy who showed loyalty to the club and got nothing in return

I disagreed with the decision not to offer him a contract. He had personal issues this season which he'll hopefully move on from . Good luck to him.