Sons' sorrow

2 minutes ago, sons'r'us said:

Terrible news about the passing of long time sons fan Campbell Smith.

Campbell was a regular contributor on here with his most recent post only 2 days ago.

Such tragic news.

R.I.P Campbell.

I just PM'D a couple of the regulars about Campbell wasn't sure about posting it. Thoughts with his family at this sad time. RIP Campbell.

Sat with him in the bar before the game and had great chat. He sits behind me and we have good banter during the game. He will be sadly missed. His son plans to be there for the final home game. So sad and I will miss him. Football comes second when a tragedy like this happens.

He was a top bloke who made me very welcome when I started to follow the Sons.
He was aware of my own health issues and he wanted to know how to help me if I had a seizure.
He contacted me regularly recently as I had missed a few games.
He was never slow to have a laugh as we did often.
He was the type of person who just loved his family and his team. An absolute pleasure to have spent time with and I will carry his name given to me as "the Clydebank Casual" for ever.
Big hugs to my pal missing you already.

My goodness what a shock to hear of Campbell's passing. He and I had a wee difference of opinion here a few years ago (as much, if not more my fault than his). We sorted it out face to face at a game with agreement and humour. After that, Campbell never failed to say hello and we'd have a chat about the Sons or whatever. Sincere sympathy and condolences to Campbell's family.

I worked with Campbell in Coulport in the 90's. Knowing me as one of the small band of Sons supporters in that establishment, he very kindly organised a signed football from the 94/95 promotion winning side for me when I left there in the summer of 1995. He always had time for a word whenever I bumped into him at the ground and always had a smile on his face. Just so sad to hear the news today, I can hardly believe it. My sympathies and condolences to Campbell's family.

I worked with Campbell in Coulport in the 90's. Knowing me as one of the small band of Sons supporters in that establishment, he very kindly organised a signed football from the 94/95 promotion winning side for me when I left there in the summer of 1995. He always had time for a word whenever I bumped into him at the ground and always had a smile on his face. Just so sad to hear the news today, I can hardly believe it. My sympathies and condolences to Campbell's family.

I too worked in Coulport during the 90s which was where I first met Campbell. Like you say there was a small band of Sons supporters in Coulport and I think I became acquainted with them all.

He was a real gent and always had something to talk to me about, which was of course always 'sons' related. Even if you hadn't spotted him he'd go out his way to have a chat.

Such a sudden death and shock when I heard the news this morning. My thoughts go out to his family.

First of all, I realised I cocked up my username after I'd made it.

Secondly of all, thank you all so much for your kind words about the passing of my father, Campbell Smith.  I have been tearing up reading them all.  

Dumbarton football club was his life!  When I was a bairn he was a steward at bigheeded and used to take me down every week.  He was placed at the top of the stairs of the main stand so he could watch all of the match.  He got me selling programmes and earning a few quid every week at the old ground. 

When the move to the rock happened, we missed the first match because we were in Florida but we were back for the following.  After a while, presumably because he then had to work with his back to the game, he chucked being a steward to become a full time fan again like he was when he was a boy going with his grandfather.  He took my sister, Kerry, down to the matches, but she was only interested in playing dolls with her cousin, Alison.

I moved away in 2014 and started comibg to the matches for a few months before I left so I can spend a few weekends drinking beer and wawashing the sons with the old man and I've been to a few since I got back.  I'll be taking up his season ticket for the remainder of the season so deepest apologies to Robert, katrina and the bankie in front for the shite banter you're gonna have to hear for the next few weeks!

A special thank you to the club for the kind tribute on the Web page today as well.

Thank you all.  Reading these does help a lot with what we're going through at the moment which has been frankly awful.

He was an amazing man, father, husband, friend and my personal hero who I will never forget!

See you all very soon from Sean M72!

Sean Smith

FB_IMG_1492441927398.jpg

4 minutes ago, Fourth Rock From the Sun said:

First of all, I realised I cocked up my username after I'd made it.

Secondly of all, thank you all so much for your kind words about the passing of my father, Campbell Smith.  I have been tearing up reading them all.  

Dumbarton football club was his life!  When I was a bairn he was a steward at bigheeded and used to take me down every week.  He was placed at the top of the stairs of the main stand so he could watch all of the match.  He got me selling programmes and earning a few quid every week at the old ground. 

When the move to the rock happened, we missed the first match because we were in Florida but we were back for the following.  After a while, presumably because he then had to work with his back to the game, he chucked being a steward to become a full time fan again like he was when he was a boy going with his grandfather.  He took my sister, Kerry, down to the matches, but she was only interested in playing dolls with her cousin, Alison.

I moved away in 2014 and started comibg to the matches for a few months before I left so I can spend a few weekends drinking beer and wawashing the sons with the old man and I've been to a few since I got back.  I'll be taking up his season ticket for the remainder of the season so deepest apologies to Robert, katrina and the bankie in front for the shite banter you're gonna have to hear for the next few weeks!

A special thank you to the club for the kind tribute on the Web page today as well.

Thank you all.  Reading these does help a lot with what we're going through at the moment which has been frankly awful.

He was an amazing man, father, husband, friend and my personal hero who I will never forget!

See you all very soon from Sean M72!

Sean Smith

FB_IMG_1492441927398.jpg

Sean, I didn't know your Dad personally, but that post (and your username) have genuinely got to me. All the best to you and your family at this tough time, I'm glad that some of the comments posted by others on here have given you some comfort.

I have worked at Coulport for years and I would only see your dad in the passing until I became the groundsman down at the Rock. After that I couldn't get rid of him(in a good way) always stopped for a chat about everything Dumbarton. All at Coulport were totally shocked at the news and would just like to pass on our condolences to you and the family at this sad time. Stay strong Sean. Buster.

Cant beleive the tragic new about the passing of Campbell. Stood not far behind me and my dad at the games at boghead and sat near me when I went to games at the new stadium, always had good chat and a good laugh at the games.

Thoughts are with sean and your family at this very hard time :(