Sons' sorrow

1 minute ago, squeezeboxson said:

Got to love the mentality of some of our fans. In the queue at the bar and guy behind me spouts some nonsense about, "6 guys on loan and Robert Thomson leaving. What a great way to plan for the future!" Talking about the POTY vote.

What do these folk expect us to be doing? :blink:

I must've missed these 6 loans we have that can't fill our bench.

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

That was a smashing wee speech from Simon pre-match there. Great idea to reach more fans and inform them of our current situation.

The vote was very telling too. Hopefully we get a few new names signed up to the Trust.

Missed this, was there another vote other than POTY?

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

That was a smashing wee speech from Simon pre-match there. Great idea to reach more fans and inform them of our current situation.

The vote was very telling too. Hopefully we get a few new names signed up to the Trust.

And you missed the first half of it...

Hope it does make people sign up though. Could do with having a few more supporting the trust and what they do for us. Especially with everything going on at the moment.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Missed this, was there another vote other than POTY?

Just a show of hands to find out who supports the trust in continuing to question Brabco in order to make sure that the club's best interests are at heart.

1 hour ago, squeezeboxson said:

And you missed the first half of it...

Hope it does make people sign up though. Could do with having a few more supporting the trust and what they do for us. Especially with everything going on at the moment.

Maybe I was just hiding ;)

1 hour ago, BallochSonsFan said:

It was a quick poll to gauge opinions on the stadium move.

I missed it as I was selling programmes in the home concourse

I doubt anyone had time to do an official count, but I'd estimated it looked like this:

"Support Brabco, believe the trust should but out" - 0%

"Support the Trust in contining to ask questions as representatives of this 'small group' - 92%

No Comment - 8%

I posted earlier on this thread that I was nervous as I've felt for a couple of weeks that we were due a smeller and today was the evidence.  Dunfermline weren't brilliant, but they didn't have to be to deserve their win, and when we failed to capitalise on those spells in the first half when we were on top, the second period into the gale was always going to be difficult.  Fair play to the Pars in the end.  

Results elsewhere weren't great either but hey, we are not yet down - who is this tit who has it in for Stevie Aitken on the match thread FFS ?  However, starting at Palmerston we need to abandon the experiment of young McRorie in midfield as it just isn't working.  I'd prefer SeaGal, Carswell, Stanton and Stirling across the middle with Vaughn and Thommo up front.

Nade and Nuttall aren't offering much, and the problem for the latter is in making an impact in twenty minute snatches, especially in games like today which are already slipping away.  Nade's best days now look to be behind him so it's the bench at best; as for Garry, sad to say he's never really been out of the blocks this season and match fitness has been a problem.  Having said that I would still trust him to give 100% as he always has.

All we ask is that the team competes to the last, whatever the eventual outcome.

It's gonna be a pretty nail biting end to the season. We probably have the hardest run in of the teams around us. A win at Palmerston is difficult but not beyond the realms of possibility. We have done it earlier in the season and Queens really have nothing to play for.
St Mirren were always going to get out of trouble and in my opinion it's a 3 horse race. The worry is that next week Ayr play a pretty dysfunctional Morton who have lost to us, Raith and St. Mirren in recent weeks so an Ayr win is a massive possibility.
Got to echo OKI's comments above that we need the team to give 100% in the remaining games and that's all we can ask. We have the ability to get out of this we just need the application.
For those (or just the 1 clown) shouting for Aitken's head. At least let the season finish 1st. There is 3 games to go (and potential play offs) then the club can decide. 6 months ago our form had had doomed and its dramatically turned with us being decent to watch and scoring some goals. Give the guy a break and get behind the team!

Got to echo OKI's comments above that we need the team to give 100% in the remaining games and that's all we can ask.

I know you most likely didn't mean the above comment as suggestive to the contrary, but I certainly don't have any worries about the team giving 100% in the remaining games.

For all that can be levelled at the players throughout this season, lack of effort certainly isn't one of them.

Post Bonnyrigg we've been overall very competitive and like a totally different side. I'm totally confident that the players will continue to give their all right up until the very end, we just need to hope that that endeavour is enough to get us a win from somewhere.

We've certainly come a long way from the start of the season. Donald McCallum upfront at Bonnyrigg, 'Petty' anywhere near the team, having the jitters because Mark Brown was between the sticks, the list goes on. We're so much improved in a number of ways, and a win to keep us up would be a just reward for the turnaround.

On 15 April 2017 at 17:31, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Just a show of hands to find out who supports the trust in continuing to question Brabco in order to make sure that the club's best interests are at heart.

Maybe I was just hiding ;)

I doubt anyone had time to do an official count, but I'd estimated it looked like this:

"Support Brabco, believe the trust should but out" - 0%

"Support the Trust in contining to ask questions as representatives of this 'small group' - 92%

No Comment - 8%

It was just an indicative straw poll, but it matches all the (considerable) feedback we've had.

The questions were:  * From what you have heard so far, do you currently have confidence in the plans to relocate DFC?  (Nobody said 'aye). * Do you support the Sonstrust in seeking to ensure that plans are really credible before you can have any confidence in them? (Almost everybody said 'aye. Around 150 present.) 

We deliberately didn't ask "for or against", because at the moment it still isn't clear what we'd be for or against -- for that we need proper business plans for staying or relocating. Ones which set out the costs, liabilities, risks and required income streams on both options, such that a reasonable comparison can be made. Plus, of course, we need to know that the relocation can be financed, and what ongoing costs it would involve.

I'll do a summary of what I said for the trust website shortly, and we'll do a mailing round. 

Meanwhile. thanks for the incredible support. We had a stack of trust sign-ups. As of right now we need just one more to break our all-time record (357) and then motor on to over 400. Any volunteers?!  Pls PM me here!

Cheers, Simon

Edited by TheFarPost

It's certainly squeaky bum time now, which I must admit, I thought we might avoid 5-6 weeks ago.

It's our own doing that we now have to get a win against probably one of the teams going for 2nd in the league and the promotion play-offs, or a result somewhere where we have an appalling record.

None of them are games we'd want to have remaining to try and collect points, but so be it, it's up to the players and management to now dig deep and get us the result(s) from somewhere that see us safe.

I just can't help but feel we've failed massively in giving Ayr 8 points from 12 this year, as a relegation rival and an utter gang. We could well look back on those games with indeed, sorrow, if we can't dig out a win (or maybe we'll need more than one) in the remaining games.

A win at Palmerston can alter everything, but we have got to be at it from the first whistle - this can be no occasion for one of our notoriously sluggish starts.

Very true. It's indicative of our predicament that this is probably the most winnable game of the three remaining. It's an uphill struggle as it is, without contemplating losing this one.

By hook or by crook, we need to win this one. Pretty football and free-flowing passing can take a backseat in the priorities here.

I'm quite sanguine about our team's prospects. On Saturday it was one of those games which the first goal was going to win.

We will get 100% effort I'm sure - like others I reckon Garry and Nade might have been a better introduction than Nade and Nuttall. Probably a bit unfair to have introduced Nuttall at that stage in fact. I'll bet Garry was itching to get on. 

No matter which league we're playing in I'd be inclined to keep Steve Aitken in charge, but with one merry-go-round in full swing and others surely to follow, we might be advised to have a reserve in place. The only thing is that Paul Hartley has Gerry McCabe as assistant, otherwise he might be a good back up.

14 hours ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

I'm quite sanguine about our team's prospects. On Saturday it was one of those games which the first goal was going to win.

We will get 100% effort I'm sure - like others I reckon Garry and Nade might have been a better introduction than Nade and Nuttall. Probably a bit unfair to have introduced Nuttall at that stage in fact. I'll bet Garry was itching to get on. 

No matter which league we're playing in I'd be inclined to keep Steve Aitken in charge, but with one merry-go-round in full swing and others surely to follow, we might be advised to have a reserve in place. The only thing is that Paul Hartley has Gerry McCabe as assistant, otherwise he might be a good back up.

Obviously relegation would not be welcome, but to be honest I'm not too sure that life in the Championship has been too much of a blessing for the club.  Outwith the committed (and shrinking) fanbase there now seems to be much less general enthusiasm for DFC in the local community - costs and all-ticket games perhaps a factor - as people have perhaps become blase or have maybe just become fed up with the plucky part-timers battling the odds on a weekly basis.

Money-wise we never seem to be out of the mire either; a small ground obviously doesn't help but I simply can't believe moving to the Renton Road will do anything other than diminish what's left of the core support.  I'm wondering just what effect relegation would have on that project - perhaps a slightly smaller pie in the sky ?

Be under no illusions though, what has happened over the last five years is a minor miracle, and that will become more apparent over time.  Huge credit to everyone involved, and if this is the year that Wigan/Wimbledon gravity-defying act finally ends then so be it.  As I've already said, we're not away yet and let's hope for the best, but I agree, every effort should be made to retain Stevie Aitken.