Sons' sorrow

A bit nervous??

Just for the last four weeks! As I live in England it is not easy to get many games and the last two Saturdays I have found other things to do at 3.00 pm on Saturday afternoons to relieve the tension of watching Sky Soccer Saturday.

40 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Is anyone else getting a bit nervous ?  We could really do with beating Dunfermline on Saturday just to maintain some distance with Raith and Ayr especially, but that will maybe be easier said than done :unsure:

Getting nervous? I've been bricking it at every game for about a month now :lol:

I still think we're capable of winning any of our last 4 games though and our form is better than that of Raith and Ayr, both of whom have harder run ins than us IMO. We just need to do our bit, winning on Saturday would be huge.

Getting nervous? I've been bricking it at every game for about a month now [emoji38]
I still think we're capable of winning any of our last 4 games though and our form is better than that of Raith and Ayr, both of whom have harder run ins than us IMO. We just need to do our bit, winning on Saturday would be huge.

Me too. All of this.

1 minute ago, Consolidate said:

Ideally the lads are going into this eager to demonstrate what they can do and focusing on what can be gained from victory rather than worrying about what might happen if we slip up. 

Agreed. They must be confident.

My feelings have been about as varied as Robert Thomson's performances this season. On Saturday afternoon I was highly confident a win would be enough, and pretty confident we'd do it leading to a pleasant, relaxing end to the season. It's been like that all year - up until December relegation was a certainty, then I started to believe, after the draw with Ayr and defeats to Dunfermline and Ayr I resigned myself to 9th or 10th, now I'm confident again.

Morton's pumping at the hands of St Mirren (Sint Murn) seemed to dent that confidence a bit, despite the fact that my attention is focused on Raith and Ayr - both of whom have been poor for a while now. Now I've no idea, and the closer this weekend gets the more it feels like last weekend. And the weekend before. And the weekend before. And the....

What I will say is this (and feel free to quote me on this when it's proved wrong :( ) If we win this weekend we will not finish in the bottom two positions. A Sons win and defeats for Ayr and Raith would leave them 5 and 7 points behind respectively with 9 to play for (and they face each other on the final day). Of course we could win and so could the two of them, but I'd imagine the chances of that are unlikely.

Hopefully get a decent atmosphere at the Rock like the St Mirren game last season, and eek out a similar result. We seem to do well when there's a strong and vociferous home support. I know that's cliched managerial drivel, but it is, more often than not, accurate. 

Overall though, no matter how it ends, I've enjoyed this season. It's been tense (and that's set to continue), but I've seen us get some smashing results, play some excellent football and this squad is as enjoyable to watch as anything since the glory days of Chris Kane and Colin Nish. That's something I wouldn't have expected to be saying in April a few months ago!

LATEST: "Dumbarton Football Club fans demand answers on new stadium plans"

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/dumbarton-football-club-fans-demand-10219859

The Lennox picks up our response to Ian Wilson. There should be a small bit in the Reporter, too.

OK, energy now focussed on Saturday. Two important results we need (1) More members for the trust, (2) beating the Pars!

'Aye, Simon

4 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

My feelings have been about as varied as Robert Thomson's performances this season. On Saturday afternoon I was highly confident a win would be enough, and pretty confident we'd do it leading to a pleasant, relaxing end to the season. It's been like that all year - up until December relegation was a certainty, then I started to believe, after the draw with Ayr and defeats to Dunfermline and Ayr I resigned myself to 9th or 10th, now I'm confident again.

Morton's pumping at the hands of St Mirren (Sint Murn) seemed to dent that confidence a bit, despite the fact that my attention is focused on Raith and Ayr - both of whom have been poor for a while now. Now I've no idea, and the closer this weekend gets the more it feels like last weekend. And the weekend before. And the weekend before. And the....

What I will say is this (and feel free to quote me on this when it's proved wrong :( ) If we win this weekend we will not finish in the bottom two positions. A Sons win and defeats for Ayr and Raith would leave them 5 and 7 points behind respectively with 9 to play for (and they face each other on the final day). Of course we could win and so could the two of them, but I'd imagine the chances of that are unlikely.

Hopefully get a decent atmosphere at the Rock like the St Mirren game last season, and eek out a similar result. We seem to do well when there's a strong and vociferous home support. I know that's cliched managerial drivel, but it is, more often than not, accurate. 

Overall though, no matter how it ends, I've enjoyed this season. It's been tense (and that's set to continue), but I've seen us get some smashing results, play some excellent football and this squad is as enjoyable to watch as anything since the glory days of Chris Kane and Colin Nish. That's something I wouldn't have expected to be saying in April a few months ago!

It's a brave person that will say that. Just remember the other results in the league on the day we drew at Easter Road a few weeks ago.

7 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Is anyone else getting a bit nervous ?  We could really do with beating Dunfermline on Saturday just to maintain some distance with Raith and Ayr especially, but that will maybe be easier said than done :unsure:

Don't you get nervous every game?

I think the only time I haven't been nervous about a game was during that run of 2-0 wins in the promotion season 2008-9.

(Well there was that whole period of a year we went without a win from autumn 1996 till just about winter 1997 but there weren't nerves then, just resignation.)

33 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

It's a brave person that will say that. Just remember the other results in the league on the day we drew at Easter Road a few weeks ago.

Some say brave, others say stupid.

I'm inclined to verge towards the latter in the case of myself.

10 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Yeah.

We need to beat Dunfermline @ home, QoS & Dundee Utd away always fill the trepidation meter.

On 13/04/2017 at 12:31, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Our recent record gives us a chance of taking something from the game. Let's just enjoy it and encourage the team.

10 hours ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

Just as a small aside, Ian's 'beloved' Coventry City were relegated today.

If he is really a fan (something I highly doubt) I hope he's hurting. Badly. That might give him the slightest idea of how we would feel if his 'trust me I'm a former PriceWaterhouseCooper employee' gamble fails, and we're left without a club.

4 hours ago, The Moonster said:

He calls them "they". No football fan calls their team "they". He's thrown it out there to try and make himself seem like he's on the ball. It's bullshit. It's all bullshit.

Rankine did a similar thing. At one of the games I stewarded at during Clydebank's time at Boaghead, when asked how we (the Sons) were doing, his reply was "Dumbarton are winning 3-1". A real fan would've said "we" we're winning 3-1.

Wilson's no fan.

Got to love the mentality of some of our fans. In the queue at the bar and guy behind me spouts some nonsense about, "6 guys on loan and Robert Thomson leaving. What a great way to plan for the future!" Talking about the POTY vote.

What do these folk expect us to be doing? :blink: