Sons' sorrow

11 hours ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

The tax bill thing is a mystery. Wilson stated at one of the meetings that owning the stadium would land DFC with a 'capital gains tax bill'. As DFC is a limited company it isn't liable for capital gains tax. It is however liable for corporation tax. If my understanding is correct though, that would only be payable on realising an asset, not owning it....

11 hours ago, TheFarPost said:

Correct. Getting that verified by a senior tax accountant. 

Simon

See, it's this sort of stuff that further ruins their credibility.  Throwing up a non-existent barrier to justify basically asset stripping the club. He's either putting that out there in the hope that we accept it as a valid reason and don't question it or he genuinely hasn't even looked into the law which will apply after this move. I don't know which one is worse to be honest.

Edited by The Moonster

5 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=2957

Gutted that I fly out on holiday that day. Too late to get the SPFL to ok playing the game in Majorca?

Tell you what - I'll get you your draw and match ticket for Tannadice; you let me have your holiday in Majorca. Then you don't have to be gutted. Problem solved! :) 

PS. Don't fret, I can still do the usual match summary from the beach...

Edited by TheFarPost

45 minutes ago, TheFarPost said:

Tell you what - I'll get you your draw and match ticket for Tannadice; you let me have your holiday in Majorca. Then you don't have to be gutted. Problem solved! :) 

PS. Don't fret, I can still do the usual match summary from the beach...

ok, but you have to keep Mrs Ranter and the 3 little Ranters amused for a week.

7 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Gutted that I fly out on holiday that day. Too late to get the SPFL to ok playing the game in Majorca?

This is a fantastic idea. What is not to like? A few hours in a van with inside views on the club and players, in the dressing room and the dugout. Absolutely superb.

12 hours ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

I'm in full agreement that it would, under current plans and terms, be awful for the club, but just slightly playing devil's advocate here, forgotten by who?

Nobody in the town other than fans and supporters of the club care a jot about us. The council doesn't either, and there are more buses leaving for Glasgow every second weekend than folk who, aside from genuine supporters like us, care about the club.

I'm in full agreement that this would at the moment be an awful move for the club, but not because we'd be forgotten, more for the financial impact on and long-term future of the club.

We'd be forgotten alright, the casual

'walk-up' pay at the gate punter, who can currently walk 10 mins from Dumbarton East Station to the Rock BC, or sit in The Stags Head til 2.45pm enjoying a beer or 3.

These punters do exist btw, sadly not in the numbers we hope for though.

Then the same applies after the match, decent beer options where we are now & the Delhi, the Kebab shop, Chinese takeaway or Co-op for a carry out.

These may seem moot, churlish points but they appeal to the casual, pay on the day fan.

I don't know anyone who wants to walk along an unlit, flooded Renton Rd on a cold, wet night for 30+minutes, playing roulette with the potholes & puddles til they reach civilisation (of sorts :P

11 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

That's a great idea for fans to enter.

I'd love to roll Colm's roll-ups for him on the way to Dundee.

1 minute ago, sonsanorak said:

Anyone else fearful of wee Lewis picking up a knock in training with Raith now?

There's bound to be some pressure on him from his parent club.

He's clearly loving hos football right now. If Raith were to push him down that road I don't see it ending well. The guy just wants to play.

20 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

ok, but you have to keep Mrs Ranter and the 3 little Ranters amused for a week.

Surely all you'd need to do would be to send Grampa Fraser along to keep the other Ranters occupied?

A friend of mine was in Lloret de Mar in 1973 and along with the guys he was with, were probably the only Sons supporters to witness Dumbarton winning their solitary European trophy.

He's clearly loving hos football right now. If Raith were to push him down that road I don't see it ending well. The guy just wants to play.

Bizarre set of circumstances though. Damage could already be done, even his goals in recent weeks have effected it. Too little too late for him to pick up a knock surely.

19 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

I have a pal who played rugby at Portobello with Lewis Vaughan's dad. His name is....wait for it......Ray Vaughan!

Rave on!

How cool is that? :thumsup2

Wasn't Stevie Ray Vaughan, was it?