Sons' sorrow

Hi all - as you may have seen from the Dumbarton Reporter and the Lennox Herald this week, the trust is holding a membership drive at the Falkirk game on Saturday. We want to beat our record 357 membership and push over 400 in the New Year.

This really matters right now, because the stronger we as fans are, the more opportunity we have to shape the future of DFC -- and to make sure that issues and concerns about the new stadium proposal are dealt with seriously. (We also have some exciting plans for the future which I said a little bit about at the AGM, and which you'll be hearing more about shortly.)

By joining the trust you are joining a democratic organisation, which means you can influence what we do and what we say as a voice of the fans. You are also, very importantly, a shareholder in the club. 

So... if you're not yet a member, please do join. And if you are already with us, see if you can get at least one friend or family member to sign up. That will make a huge difference.

Also, come and talk to me and to other trust board members in the Community Suite before the game -- about stadium issues or anything else that you're concerned about.

Cheers!

Simon

Sonstrust DR.png

Sonstrust Record.png

Sonstrust Recruitment.png

1 hour ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

For those of you who think things are pretty dire, and with a pre Christmas game against Falkirk looming, lets take a look back at happier times.....oh wait....

DFC.png

I have to laugh. On the games where we got a single goal, the Scorers are listed instead of the Scorer.

Puts a positive spin on what was a dreadful run of results. :1eye

"Dumbarton midfielder Josh Todd is attracting attention from Motherwell and Dundee United.
The 21-year-old impressed at Annan Athletic after leaving Carlisle United and has enjoyed an excellent season with the Championship club.

Todd had trial spells on trial with Dunfermline and Ayr United in the summer before signing with Stevie Aitken’s side.

Dundee United are currently joint top of the Championship while Motherwell are in ninth place in the Premiership."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news-live-celtic-rangers-9467721?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

He's 22, but lets leave this minor mistake aside. He's been decent for us, not helped by being shunted around an awful lot, but I must admit I'd be surprised if clubs as big as United and Motherwell are interested in him.

14 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

How's Ryan Stevenson doing for yous? Noticed he scored a belter in your win v QOTS. 

Stevo's a weird one. He's not been as bad as I had feared, in fact he's scored a couple of smashing goals and played some stunning crossfield balls. If he had been a low profile signing from a lower league club (a la Josh Todd) I dare say we'd say he's done fairly well, he's just lazy and a luxury. That's the issue though, he's one of our most experienced, highest profile and (by all accounts) highest paid players, and he's just not done enough to justify the risk of signing him.

If we could get rid of him and bring in two players for his wages then I'd say that, that would be a decent bit of business.

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

It seems that Ian Wilson isn't really up to speed with what's happening with his own club, Coventry City. At the recent meeting, he said that they had been playing in Northampton for a while but while reading this, it seems that they returned to the Ricoh more than two years ago.

3 minutes ago, microdave said:

It seems that Ian Wilson isn't really up to speed with what's happening with his own club, Coventry City. At the recent meeting, he said that they had been playing in Northampton for a while but while reading this, it seems that they returned to the Ricoh more than two years ago.

Mid 2014 they returned, I remember it was live on Sky and Frank Nouble scored the winner against Gillingham iirc on what was also his debut. They almost filled it too - in stark contrast to last night.

I'm shocked to see our owner, a good football man and ordinary fan like us, knows nothing about his own club who are in a complete state...

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

That's quite clearly some work being done by Todd's agent. He's been ok thus far, but to describe his season so far as 'excellent' is a straight up lie.

I would be utterly astounded if he wound up at a club bigger than ourselves based on his performances so far.

I'd agree with this about Todds agent. He has played well quite consistently i think. However he's still on amateur terms with us so i'm not sure what limitations there are on him leaving in january, if any.

As a goal scoring attacking midfielder it seems strange to play him wide and quite deep, but he has done reasonably well for us there.

6 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

"Dumbarton midfielder Josh Todd is attracting attention from Motherwell and Dundee United.
The 21-year-old impressed at Annan Athletic after leaving Carlisle United and has enjoyed an excellent season with the Championship club.

Todd had trial spells on trial with Dunfermline and Ayr United in the summer before signing with Stevie Aitken’s side.

Dundee United are currently joint top of the Championship while Motherwell are in ninth place in the Premiership."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news-live-celtic-rangers-9467721?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

He's 22, but lets leave this minor mistake aside. He's been decent for us, not helped by being shunted around an awful lot, but I must admit I'd be surprised if clubs as big as United and Motherwell are interested in him.

Stevo's a weird one. He's not been as bad as I had feared, in fact he's scored a couple of smashing goals and played some stunning crossfield balls. If he had been a low profile signing from a lower league club (a la Josh Todd) I dare say we'd say he's done fairly well, he's just lazy and a luxury. That's the issue though, he's one of our most experienced, highest profile and (by all accounts) highest paid players, and he's just not done enough to justify the risk of signing him.

If we could get rid of him and bring in two players for his wages then I'd say that, that would be a decent bit of business.

Truly we live in a post-truth world.  Had this article never appeared I would never have written the following, but in the interests of balance my opinion is that Josh Todd has been virtually anonymous as a Championship player thus far. I have no axe to grind against the lad and although he is willing, he is also lightweight and consistently peripheral, and I can barely recall an incident, never mind a game which sticks positively in the memory. 

Enough crap already, this smells of an agent trying to winkle his player out of a club. 

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Truly we live in a post-truth world.  Had this article never appeared I would never have written the following, but in the interests of balance my opinion is that Josh Todd has been virtually anonymous as a Championship player thus far. I have no axe to grind against the lad and although he is willing, he is also lightweight and consistently peripheral, and I can barely recall an incident, never mind a game which sticks positively in the memory. 

Enough crap already, this smells of an agent trying to winkle his player out of a club. 

I concur.

^^^ knows the score

Good to see we don't need to exchange season ticket vouchers for a ticket for the upcoming Dundee Utd game.

That is good news for season ticket holders. However you can't buy a ticket tomorrow (the last home match before the United game) and you can't buy a ticket on the day of the match. So anyone wanting to buy a ticket has to make a specific trip to the ground. And opportunities will be extremely limited due to Christmas holidays. It's almost as if they don't want home fans turning up. United have been selling tickets on their website for several days and we haven't even started. Pathetic.

16 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

That is good news for season ticket holders. However you can't buy a ticket tomorrow (the last home match before the United game) and you can't buy a ticket on the day of the match. So anyone wanting to buy a ticket has to make a specific trip to the ground. And opportunities will be extremely limited due to Christmas holidays. It's almost as if they don't want home fans turning up. United have been selling tickets on their website for several days and we haven't even started. Pathetic.

Exactly - WTF are we to make of this ?  And just wait until the club is very handily placed on the Dalmoak Everglades.

7 hours ago, sonsanorak said:

I'd agree with this about Todds agent. He has played well quite consistently i think. However he's still on amateur terms with us so i'm not sure what limitations there are on him leaving in january, if any.

As an amateur he can serve notice and leave more or less when he wants I think. The window is directly irrelevant as it applies only to professionals. However I doubt the League would grant permission to play for anybody else's first team unless the move was during the window.

He can only change status to professional during an open window and of course if he did then compensation would still be due to Annan presuming their contract offer remains on the table. He could continue to play elsewhere as an amateur of course until he is 23 but the risk for a new club in that is they would never have any protection of his value if he chose to move on again later.