Sons' sorrow

26th Dec 1994 at Boghead, Sons 4 - 0 East Fife

I know I went to quite a few games before then but that's the one I first distinctly remember because I was sitting on top of the away dugout giving Steve Archibald top bantz like "ha ha, you's are rubbish"

he was raging.

The 1st game I remember was a 4-0 defeat to Rangers at Ibrox in the scottish cup. 1980/81 i think. I recall the wee blonde haired winger Rankine hitting the post for us. I think he was a winger anyway.

I had been to games previously but can't remember.

The 1st home game I can properly remember was a home game against Meadowbank thistle in 1983 which was a 0-0 draw.

I recall Mr. Muir the stadium announcer stating 'a warm welcome to today's visitors Meadowbank Thistle in what is their 1st visit to the stadium.' This was followed by a few giggles due to the fact that he referred to Boghead as a stadium. That's all I remember about that game.

Edited by sons'r'us

First game sometime mid 1950s. Not sure if we even had covered terracings then. There was only that tiny stand which held about three people if you held in your breath. Bunnets were compulsory even if you were only three and anybody over the age of eight who was not smoking capstan full strength was regarded as soft. I remember a pigeon was sent at half time to the evening citizen with the half time result.

I was hoping today might be a Manic Monday, doesn't look like it though.

I actually prefer Sunday (that's my fun day).

I'm not sure there are going to be manic any days.  I had a chat at the weekend with a non-DFC contact and the word is that we're keeping to a tight budget.  That suggests we may end up with a smallish squad composed of hard-workers as opposed to marquee signings.

Any idea where Nade is going ? Always impressed me when I seen him play. Would be a great signing for Queens but probably out of our price range

I'm not sure Nade would be out of your price range if we can afford him.  It seems he's leaving us as he wants to go back full-time as opposed to cash but that could just be paper talk. 

According to reporter today Aitken can only afford a squad of seventeen or eighteen players with only one or two loanees . Record is saying docherty will definitely sign. Aitken is dying budget is tighter than last year but he has players in mind to fill squad which could be smallest in league.

According to reporter today Aitken can only afford a squad of seventeen or eighteen players with only one or two loanees . Record is saying docherty will definitely sign. Aitken is dying budget is tighter than last year but he has players in mind to fill squad which could be smallest in league.

I'm all for a more streamlined squad. It makes sense but I would expect the loanees and remaining 3 or 4 signings (beyond Docherty's hopeful signature) to be of good quality. Raith's new signature Chris Johnston, who is quite a capture in my eyes, will be coming up against us for example and if Nade is a no then I hope there are decent alternatives in the pipeline. Tight budget means Stuart Miller has to have a good list of options from his scouting done to date. 

First game sometime mid 1950s. Not sure if we even had covered terracings then. There was only that tiny stand which held about three people if you held in your breath. Bunnets were compulsory even if you were only three and anybody over the age of eight who was not smoking capstan full strength was regarded as soft. I remember a pigeon was sent at half time to the evening citizen with the half time result.

Me too but maybe a couple of seasons later. You forgot to mention the black and gold hooped shirts and white shorts. (The game was a defeat to Arbroath for whom Jimmy Jack scored late on. I was inconsolable.)

Me too but maybe a couple of seasons later. You forgot to mention the black and gold hooped shirts and white shorts. (The game was a defeat to Arbroath for whom Jimmy Jack scored late on. I was inconsolable.)

May have been a 4v3 League Cup defeat at home to Arbroath in August '59.  A Sons side featuring veteran ex-Hearts star Freddie Glidden and future Scotland manager John Prentice, lost to a last minute goal from Arbroath legend Dave Easson.  Sadly, history repeated itself a few years later. A 4v3 home defeat to Arbroath in Dec '67.  Ex-Third Lanark winger Ian Henderson scored a hat-trick for us, but the Lichties equalised late on, then the prolific Jimmy Jack hit a last minute winner :(

Looks like it could be Stevenson signing today.........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36476844

Aye it's discussed in our wasteland thread with a link to the original article. I reckon it'll be Docherty today though.

In case anyone's unaware, anything posted here after 8pm two days ago will be wiped when the full site goes back online. You'd be best to drop in to the Wasteland thread here as that's where the missing people from this thread are.