Sons' sorrow

Anyone else slightly surprised that Aitken's stock is so high with other clubs?

He kept a newly promoted Stranraer in the third tier after taking over and then took them to 3rd and 2nd the next two seasons. I'd say that's a fair bit more impressive than Ray McKinnon managed at the same level. I know there were some complaints from Sons fans this season, but he still kept you up without the need for a play-off. I wouldn't say it's a surprise other clubs are having a look.

I suppose none of us know if Aitken will go yet, but if Raith come calling and they have ambition which Stevie is happy to match and go with, then I'd presume he'll be off.

What I do wonder though, and maybe I'm being very naive, why is the timing so terrible?

I appreciate that it's not great timing, but at the moment we have a manager and two players signed-up. If Aitken goes, and presumably the board have a Plan B ready to go should the situation arise, we could potentially only be 5-10 days on, with a new manager, and two players signed-up. Is that really so awful a scenario we could be in?

Of course it's far from ideal, but I don't think it's the time it'd be happening in, I think it'd be the risk in the new appointment which would be more crucial.

I'd certainly rather a Darren Young type be on our radar, or even Faz (if it were to arise that he didn't go with Aitken) rather than someone like Barry Robson who chucked playing 5 minutes ago and has zero management experience.

If Aitken goes, and I know it's still an IF, the next appointment needs to be the right one, more imperative than ever with the team's potentially in this division next season.

I suppose none of us know if Aitken will go yet, but if Raith come calling and they have ambition which Stevie is happy to match and go with, then I'd presume he'll be off.

What I do wonder though, and maybe I'm being very naive, why is the timing so terrible?

I appreciate that it's not great timing, but at the moment we have a manager and two players signed-up. If Aitken goes, and presumably the board have a Plan B ready to go should the situation arise, we could potentially only be 5-10 days on, with a new manager, and two players signed-up. Is that really so awful a scenario we could be in?

Of course it's far from ideal, but I don't think it's the time it'd be happening in, I think it'd be the risk in the new appointment which would be more crucial.

I'd certainly rather a Darren Young type be on our radar, or even Faz (if it were to arise that he didn't go with Aitken) rather than someone like Barry Robson who chucked playing 5 minutes ago and has zero management experience.

If Aitken goes, and I know it's still an IF, the next appointment needs to be the right one, more imperative than ever with the team's potentially in this division next season.

I think inside knowledge would be needed on Barry Robson before a punt was taken. One slight safeguard these days is the requirement for coaches/managers to have the correct badges to operate. I'm not sure on Darren Young. I have the feeling his step up may be above us as he has served a decent apprenticeship. He'll be a guy with ambition for sure.

I had some fun looking here http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/trainer/verfuegbaretrainer/statistik/?statistik=190&plus=0

Mind you, Willie Ormond is on that list!

Id like to put in a word here for the Board of DFC.  Having been in this sort of situation this time last year, here we are again, potentially seeing a managerial team exit.  If that does happen it would be a compliment to their well-executed selection process, but even so it must be a pisser if they have to pull another rabbit out of the hat.

If it comes to that we should wish them well and hope for a speedy resolution, if only for the sake of So8's mental state.  

Id like to put in a word here for the Board of DFC.  Having been in this sort of situation this time last year, here we are again, potentially seeing a managerial team exit.  If that does happen it would be a compliment to their well-executed selection process, but even so it must be a pisser if they have to pull another rabbit out of the hat.

If it comes to that we should wish them well and hope for a speedy resolution, if only for the sake of So8's mental state.  

He's in a bit of a mental state right enough!

Not as mental as Calum Davidson would be though...........

I think inside knowledge would be needed on Barry Robson before a punt was taken. One slight safeguard these days is the requirement for coaches/managers to have the correct badges to operate. I'm not sure on Darren Young. I have the feeling his step up may be above us as he has served a decent apprenticeship. He'll be a guy with ambition for sure.

I had some fun looking here http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/trainer/verfuegbaretrainer/statistik/?statistik=190&plus=0

He didn't shine at interview last year apparently.......

A name that hasn't be rumoured before who might be decent, Callum Davidson? Currently Tommy Wright's assistant at St Johnstone.

Cleland is a better shout than Davidson IMO. I'd be very surprised if Davidson leaves us when Wright is being linked with other clubs - he'll either follow him or be our new manager.

There's one thing to consider.

Gilbert Lawrie was instrumental/decisive in the last four managerial appointments, each of which was inspired. This may be a test of the board's skill in these matters

Yes, I'm sure we would rely relatively heavily on inside info. with regards to Robson or the likes, but even then, someone who is touted as 'a potential good manager' from, likely, one of his mates in the game wouldn't make me want to take the gamble.

I too agree that Young's step-up may be above us, and if it is, hey-ho, but it can't hurt to enquire.

He's done a very decent job on a bit of a shoestring budget and seems to have good stock within the game at the moment, so from a lot of the names suggested so far (all rumourmongering to be fair) he's the one I'd go for. But who I'd choose and whose available and who'd want the gig may, and probably will be, very different things.

My mental state is always all over the shop. I mean this time yesterday I was busy thinking of players to link us with, and looking forward to some signing news, and now look at the situation we're in!

He's in a bit of a mental state right enough!

Not as mental as Calum Davidson would be though...........

I'm all ears as to why not Davidson

7146.jpg

Cleland is a better shout than Davidson IMO. I'd be very surprised if Davidson leaves us when Wright is being linked with other clubs - he'll either follow him or be our new manager.

Aye, you're probably right. Either would be a better move than joining us I reckon.

Cleland and Wright managerial dream team it is.

There's one thing to consider.

Gilbert Lawrie was instrumental/decisive in the last four managerial appointments, each of which was inspired. This may be a test of the board's skill in these matters

unnecessary pressure on the board, we could sign rafa and be dreadful, it's a 50/50 chance whether whoever works, not the boards fault if it doesn't, but I'd prefer it was done quickly so we can get the squad sorted.

unnecessary pressure on the board, we could sign rafa and be dreadful, it's a 50/50 chance whether whoever works, not the boards fault if it doesn't, but I'd prefer it was done quickly so we can get the squad sorted.

I can't say I agree on that.

Yeah of course the board can't be held totally accountable if it doesn't work out as well as hoped, but at the end of the day it's them who choose the new manager. And given that they'll have options and the new man (if there is to be one) is their choice, they'll shoulder some responsibility if it doesn't work out and also some praise if the new manager is a success.

Post on Pie and Bovril puts pressure on board? I think not.....

So is Kenny Brannigan. Could his time have come at last?