Sons' sorrow

:(

Been said before, but must be a sair ane for yourself and the other Lichties seeing how the two clubs have fared since that fateful day. Your team was far better than ours on paper. Guys like Doris, Kerr and Falkingham were excellent for that level and Dumbarton's team at the time was mostly jobbers who played on pure spirit rather than skill.

Been said before, but must be a sair ane for yourself and the other Lichties seeing how the two clubs have fared since that fateful day. Your team was far better than ours on paper. Guys like Doris, Kerr and Falkingham were excellent for that level and Dumbarton's team at the time was mostly jobbers who played on pure spirit rather than skill.

The fact we finished 2nd and 1st, 3rd and 4th went up is the killer. Don't think it's been too bad other than this season to be honest.

Lumsden has been a total disaster. Even with a decent budget in comparison to other L2 clubs we've still finished 9th. Embarrassing.

The season after that game though we finished 5th, then we got relegated season after that, Sheerin got it all wrong and then he left for Aberdeen.

But even last season we were flying under Moore/Lumsden, won 15 out of 18 with Murray and McManus running riot. Looked like champions. Then we were 2 up v Montrose on New Years Day, they got it back to 2-2, we missed a penalty to make it 3-2 and it's genuinely ruined us. We went all to f**k, we've won 14 games since then (3rd January 2015), 3 out of 18 in the second half of the season and still finished 3rd. 11 games this season.

But we have now finally got rid of Lumsden too. Who we should've never appointed in the 1st place.

Hopeful of Dick getting us going again he's got off to a good start with signings and there'll be investment back in the club now he's there. A lot of people were extremely unhappy with Todds appointment. Felt it was basically a continuation of Moores collapse which turned out to be true.

Dumbarton have been ridiculously impressive though 5 years on the trot is tremendous and some of the players you've signed have been superb. Can't even imagine Nade and the like in the Maroon. :lol:

Edited by 1320Lichtie

It was ten years ago exactly that Thistle won the Division Two playoffs to get promoted to Div One. They qualified for the playoffs by beating us on the last day, finishing fourth and relegating us. The next season we were third (I think) in Div Three and the next season struggled like f**k and on the last day it finished with us 8th, Shire 9th (their first year out of bottom spot for about ten years) and Forfar dead last in the bottom tier. The following season we won the league and it's been more or less all positive since then. A really impressive decade from a Dumbarton point of view.

It was ten years ago exactly that Thistle won the Division Two playoffs to get promoted to Div One. They qualified for the playoffs by beating us on the last day, finishing fourth and relegating us. The next season we were third (I think) in Div Three and the next season struggled like f**k and on the last day it finished with us 8th, Shire 9th (their first year out of bottom spot for about ten years) and Forfar dead last in the bottom tier. The following season we won the league and it's been more or less all positive since then. A really impressive decade from a Dumbarton point of view.

We were 2-0 up in that Thistle game IIRC. Paul Martin's last day in charge. A frightener that teams like Forfar or ourselves could ever be in that position again with the consequence of relegation. Only nine years ago when you think about it.

Edited by Howlin' Wilf

We were 2-0 up in that Thistle game IIRC. Paul Martin's last day in charge. A frightner that teams like Forfar or ourselves could ever be in that position again with the consequence of relegation. Only nine years ago when you think about it.

Andy Rogers quickfire double. Sure it was two Rogers goals in two minutes. Same thing happened at home against Ayr that season, in another defeat.

So remember we were reminiscing about Shay's performance against Arbroath last week?

Well I decided to see if I could find the highlights anywhere, and lo and behold I could!

https://vimeo.com/42231913

That was one hell of a game. We have a lot to thank Shay for. I remember standing at the corner to the right of him. Kicking every ball Most nervous I have been at a game.

St Johnstone have confirmed that Simon Lappin, Scott Brown, Plamen Krachunov and Michael Doyle have left the club @STVSport

Scott Brown to join us shortly no doubt.

Anyway, from that list, I wouldn't be against us bringing in Doyle, he always looked handy enough for Alloa against us. Simon Lappin was a good player about 12 years ago or something, but I'm assuming he's finished now. Brown would be, as is always the case with him, meh.

Scott Brown to join us shortly no doubt.

Anyway, from that list, I wouldn't be against us bringing in Doyle, he always looked handy enough for Alloa against us. Simon Lappin was a good player about 12 years ago or something, but I'm assuming he's finished now. Brown would be, as is always the case with him, meh.

Lappin's ok. TW infers his wage was taken into consideration, hence why he was released. We got him directly from Cardiff, so would've been on decent money.

Brown played a blinder against Celtic last Thursday. I know he wasn't great on loan, but there's definitely something there with him. Need to iron out his obvious weaknesses though.

Lappin's ok. TW infers his wage was taken into consideration, hence why he was released. We got him directly from Cardiff, so would've been on decent money.

Brown played a blinder against Celtic last Thursday. I know he wasn't great on loan, but there's definitely something there with him. Need to iron out his obvious weaknesses though.

Lappin strikes me as the kind of guy who will probably just retire rather than dribble down through the leagues until he's about 40. May be wrong, but it just feels like that.

The thing with Brown is that his weaknesses weren't even immediately apparent. He was just fine at everything, 6 out 10 if you will. He did have a cracking game at RB for us against Alloa where he looked solid, contributed a bit going forward and even looked to have a decent burst of pace, but that was about the only time he looked above a 6/10.

I think Aitken was keen to extend his loan, but we needed to focus the budget on a striker, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if we did sign him. He's not Grant Gallagher, so that's good, but it would be a pretty underwhelming signing.

As others have alluded to, Scott Brown would be a very 'meh' signing as he was in his time with us. A decent player there somewhere, I think, but just very ordinary.

Lappin was a good player, but a lot of his quality was pace, and now he'll have none of it. And if his wage was a contributory factor to his release at Saints, then he's not someone I'd want us to be chasing tbh. Strikes me as if he'd be a very similar type of signing for us that DvZ was, and we all know how that went...

I do see however that St. Johnstone have said they'll welcome an approach either for transfer or on loan for John Sutton. While I realise that due to wages and budgets it would be unlikely to be a transfer, I wouldn't be against us going for someone like him.

Aitken has permission to speak to Raith according to the Sun. Read on BBC Scottish Gossip.

Hmm, that would be an odd move for him given he has a good full-time job with Rolls-Royce - or at least he did. I doubt he'd be able to hold onto that if he was managing them, 2hrs away full-time.

Aitken has permission to speak to Raith according to the Sun. Read on BBC Scottish Gossip.

Actually it's the other way round, Raith have permission to speak with Aitken, which slightly changes things

1463467005528.jpg

That's the equivalent of me asking your boss to speak to you about a job, even if you aren't in the slightest interested. It would be an odd, and risky, move for him given his decent job outwith football.

Actually it's the other way round, Raith have permission to speak with Aitken, which slightly changes things

1463467005528.jpg

That's the equivalent of me asking your boss to speak to you about a job, even if you aren't in the slightest interested. It would be an odd, and risky, move for him given his decent job outwith football.

Would we not ask him if he wishes to speak before answering? Edited by cameron2000