Sons' sorrow

I'll try and give as much information on how he plays as I can...

- Poacher who plays on the shoulder.

- Has no pace and can't really run.

- Can accumulate a fair few yellow cards (well, he did at us).

- Give him the ball in the box and he'll probably put it away.

- Hot and cold kind of player.

So if he hits the ground running, he might get you a few goals.

If not, then he'll probably turn out to be a very underwhelming signing.

I'll try and give as much information on how he plays as I can...

- Poacher who plays on the shoulder.

- Has no pace and can't really run.

- Can accumulate a fair few yellow cards (well, he did at us).

- Give him the ball in the box and he'll probably put it away.

- Hot and cold kind of player.

So if he hits the ground running, he might get you a few goals.

If not, then he'll probably turn out to be a very underwhelming signing.

I don't understand this "professional status" proviso. Does that mean we couldn't sign & play someone from say, Weir's Amateurs or Dumbarton Academy FPs?

I think it means he was under amateur registration to someone when the window closed but has been released. As an amateur the windows dont apply to him insofar as signing for someone else but he cant change status to pro outside a window and as he was registered elsewhere and not actually a free agent he cant then play first team SPFL although he would be allowed to play in the Development League. I think that is how it works anyway. We had a foreign trialist in for our 20s recently who was in the same position. When we checked if he actually could sign just in case we wanted to the word back was that he could but wouldnt be allowed to play in the 1st team. As he wasnt under consideration for the 1st team anyway it wasnt relevant to us though.

Will that see cawley dropped then, or gary?

Thats one way to split the support !

I genuinely think Heff will be back up unless he hits some good form.

I can't see him playing alongside the likes of Nade, I just don't envisage that being a partnership that would work. By all accounts Heffernan is a poacher so if we're chasing a goal with 20 minutes to go he could be a decent option.

Tbh I'm just trying to cling onto to any shred of positivity with this signing :lol:

I think it means he was under amateur registration to someone when the window closed but has been released. As an amateur the windows dont apply to him insofar as signing for someone else but he cant change status to pro outside a window and as he was registered elsewhere and not actually a free agent he cant then play first team SPFL although he would be allowed to play in the Development League. I think that is how it works anyway. We had a foreign trialist in for our 20s recently who was in the same position. When we checked if he actually could sign just in case we wanted to the word back was that he could but wouldnt be allowed to play in the 1st team. As he wasnt under consideration for the 1st team anyway it wasnt relevant to us though.

Thank you!

Just catching up with the thread after a few days.

Mystic BBPF eh? Any chance of picking some winners for me for Cheltenham next week? Heffernan isn't a bad shout at all - he'll deliver a certain level and it means that we're not short up front. If Nade can give us 60-70 minutes of graft, Heffernan's experience may well be a very useful thing to have in the squad. I'm hopeful with this one.

A few interesting points about YDI. I've said before that I was disappointed to see Clyde abandon their youth set-up.

Theres no denying that youth development is expensive. Theres an argument to be made that unless youth development is delivering players for the first team or development fees when players move on then it's a luxury. I can see the attraction for clubs to redirect those funds into the playing squad. That said, I'd still rather have a YDI set up than not.

Particularly for a community club, providing opportuniities for youngsters to play football is a significant contribution. Dumbarton are absolutely a community club and it would be an unfortunate route to go down if we were to walk away from our involvement in youth football. The set up on the SFA side isnt great and I believe that not playing comeptitive games at youth level is a hinderence rather than a help. Thats something that can be argued against and addressed.

There are still benefits from YDI football. McCallum and Hopkins may not be the finished articles yet but the fact that we're present in the local community and involved in national youth football is important. Proviing facilities for community football was a big part of the stadium move plans and the redevelopment of East End Park is continuing. Every new build school in the area has a 3g surface. Hopefully we can be a big part of youth football in West Dunbartonshire.

To touch on a slightly unrelated note there BSF, whilst every new school has a 3G surface, allowing the public to use them is nigh on impossible. Dumbarton Academy have 3 lovely new pitches, closed to the public because the auld duffers that live 2 streets away don't want to deal with the noise. It seems the community would rather kids didn't play in a safe place, better to roll around in dog shite over at the common or break an ankle running over the mountains down the havoc.

It's not only facilities that are lacking in WD, attitudes are awful. Hopefully we can help to change both of those fronts but it'll be an uphill struggle.

Don't see a problem with heff signing . Can't be many available strikers on market at this stage of season. Any back up will be a bonus.

Assume however it is adding to budget somewhat so needs to be beneficial

After all we did moan about lack of options a month or so ago

Think heff different from what we've got as he is a poacher

To touch on a slightly unrelated note there BSF, whilst every new school has a 3G surface, allowing the public to use them is nigh on impossible. Dumbarton Academy have 3 lovely new pitches, closed to the public because the auld duffers that live 2 streets away don't want to deal with the noise. It seems the community would rather kids didn't play in a safe place, better to roll around in dog shite over at the common or break an ankle running over the mountains down the havoc.

It's not only facilities that are lacking in WD, attitudes are awful. Hopefully we can help to change both of those fronts but it'll be an uphill struggle.

The cost is extortionate as well. It costs my team £40 for an hour on a third of a 3g pitch - That's mental.

When I was at school we got banned from playing football on the hockey pitch at lunch - it had football goals and was less busy than the 3G - because the neighbours complained we were too loud.

The school had been there since 1967 yet our head was quite prepared to bow down to them and ban us.

Anyway that's completely off topic, but it's a subject that really riles me!