Sons' sorrow

It's hard to say. Difficult to compare the part-time player market to the full-time. I suspect that Ian simply underestimated the size of the challenge at Paisley and buckled under pressure from a demanding support.

I expected more from Aitken this season following the quality of player recruitment in the summer and the start that we had. An 8th place finish would now be very welcome but I genuinely thought we could have competed with Morton, Raith etc for 5th or 6th given the personnel at the club.

We should have been and the more I hear Stevie in interviews the less convinced I am that he genuinely believes we can challenge higher than what we are. He trots out that we're a part time team in a difficult league after almost every defeat, that might hold water some times at mid-week games but we've shown over the last 4 years that competing and surviving for a part-time side is not only possible but likely, if you do the right things. When we beat Hibs it's never an issue.

Yes, he's said the boys want to challenge for 5th, but to then produce that performance at Livi is convincing no one. Time to push all excuses to the side and get the wins we need, if we're not doing everything to pick up wins at this stage then we'll deserve everything we get.

We should have been and the more I hear Stevie in interviews the less convinced I am that he genuinely believes we can challenge higher than what we are. He trots out that we're a part time team in a difficult league after almost every defeat, that might hold water some times at mid-week games but we've shown over the last 4 years that competing and surviving for a part-time side is not only possible but likely, if you do the right things. When we beat Hibs it's never an issue.

Yes, he's said the boys want to challenge for 5th, but to then produce that performance at Livi is convincing no one. Time to push all excuses to the side and get the wins we need, if we're not doing everything to pick up wins at this stage then we'll deserve everything we get.

P.I.T.K. Moonster ;)

Think my concern is that I don't see raith Morton st mirren or qos as a great deal better than us just more capable of getting results . Again squad seems as good on paper but don't get results they should

Repeat what I've said over past days be very disappointed if stevies can get us at least 8th place .

Edited by cedrick1

It's much better than the dross we had last season, no doubt about it for me.

Look at our squad from our 1-0 win over Alloa on the 7/3 last year:

Rogers

Taggart Graham Findlay Linton

Gilhaney Turner Agnew Easton

Fleming Duggan

Subs: Megginson, McCallum, Petrie, Ewings, Campbell, M.Wilson

Seeing Wilson gave me a shudder. Waste of a jersey who had the temerity to complain about being freed. It shows how poor he was when Lee Mair got a new club and he now bumps his gums on the radio!

Seeing Wilson gave me a shudder. Waste of a jersey who had the temerity to complain about being freed. It shows how poor he was when Lee Mair got a new club and he now bumps his gums on the radio!

Mark Wilson is quite possibly my least favourite player to ever pull on the shirt. Looked like he couldn't care less, couldn't pass, couldn't tackle and certainly couldn't cross a ball.

His performance against Cowden was atrocious, particularly this defending:

https://youtu.be/PIompoFaAWs?t=8m1s

To think Ian Murray was going to offer him a new deal :1eye

I think we signed too much of the same type of player. Morton, Raith, St Mirren, Livi and Alloa aren't much better

than us, i think they just have better balance in their squads. I see the new boy didnt even make the bench? Is there

a technical reason for that? Or is this another sign them and dont play them Aitken spectacular?

I think we signed too much of the same type of player. Morton, Raith, St Mirren, Livi and Alloa aren't much better

than us, i think they just have better balance in their squads. I see the new boy didnt even make the bench? Is there

a technical reason for that? Or is this another sign them and dont play them Aitken spectacular?

Didn't have international clearance.

I agree with you that we've signed far too many of the same player, and, in answer to your other thread post, I just find it remarkably convenient you can only attend games where we lose/are rancid. You've got to admit, only posting on here after defeats is a bit odd, I mean there's plenty of far-flung Sons who can't attend games but still post about how delighted they are post match.

Didn't have international clearance.

I agree with you that we've signed far too many of the same player, and, in answer to your other thread post, I just find it remarkably convenient you can only attend games where we lose/are rancid. You've got to admit, only posting on here after defeats is a bit odd, I mean there's plenty of far-flung Sons who can't attend games but still post about how delighted they are post match.

I said it was a huge result and that we need to find form and beat Livi. One win against hibs wont change my whole opinion of Aitkens management. Would be a bit silly to vent my displeasure with his management of the team to suddenly change my tune because we won one game. I don't only attend defeats. We were defeated on Saturday i wasnt there. You also make out I've been complaining all season. I never once complained about Aitken despite thinking hes been shite until recently.

Anyway Iots of you said I was over the mark when i said what I did a few weeks ago. Fast forward and now everyone is starting to agree.I'de say the tide of support is very much turning against Aitken. Even if we survive this year, i wouldnt renew his contract. Hasn't shown enough to deserve it.

Edited by sonsational

I said it was a huge result and that we need to find form and beat Livi. One win against hibs wont change my whole opinion of Aitkens management. Would be a bit silly to vent my displeasure with his management of the team to suddenly change my tune because we won one game. I don't only attend defeats. We were defeated on Saturday i wasnt there. You also make out I've been complaining all season. I never once complained about Aitken despite thinking hes been shite until recently.

Anyway Iots of you said I was over the mark when i said what I did a few weeks ago. Fast forward and now everyone is starting to agree.I'de say the tide of support is very much turning against Aitken. Even if we survive this year, i wouldnt renew his contract. Hasn't shown enough to deserve it.

Not a matter of changing your tune, but giving credit where credit's due. Stevie deserves it for the Hibs result - if for little else in the past few weeks.

You haven't been complaining all season, because you only re-surfaced as our results got worse, the same as last year or whenever you were first here.

He's on a 2yr deal, so he'd have to resign or we'd have to sack him for him not to be here next season I'm afraid.

I've not seen anyone come out and say they want Stevie sacked except for you, so I'm not sure where you get this "everyone now agrees" patter.  A good result didn't make us world beaters and a bad one equally doesn't condemn the playing staff and management to footballing obscurity.  If Aitken keeps us up he'll deserve to keep his job, I'm not quite sure we're in the position to sack managers who have done what we set out for them at the start of the season.

Edited by The Moonster

In an ideal world sons would stay up every year without the battle at the bottom but that's not the sons way never has never will lets play what ifs say we finish 9th and Steve does go who do you get in from the ever revolving list of managers that seem to travel round all the teams and then what if we finish 7th he stays does he deserve a new contract sadly not everyone will like the manager at a football club but in my eyes it's been a hell of a ride the last few years and if we did go down with Alloa so be it we can be happy that we beat all odds to get here in fist place

In an ideal world sons would stay up every year without the battle at the bottom but that's not the sons way never has never will lets play what ifs say we finish 9th and Steve does go who do you get in from the ever revolving list of managers that seem to travel round all the teams and then what if we finish 7th he stays does he deserve a new contract sadly not everyone will like the manager at a football club but in my eyes it's been a hell of a ride the last few years and if we did go down with Alloa so be it we can be happy that we beat all odds to get here in fist place

Must have been a huge breath for all of that...

Seems like overall a lot of hypothetical nonsense. But either way, at the end of this season u less Stevie quits or is sacked he will be here next year. I'm sure he is on a 2 year deal.

I honestly think we will stay up and think we will be in a good position for next year.

This season was always going to be hard as realistically only a couple of teams were going to challenge for the title and the rest had to decide to gamble and go for it as well or accept they ride out the season and hope the "bigger clubs" go up. I think that's why Raith, QOTS have been there or there abouts. Morton had the promotion bounce that can happen and well St Mirren, enough to said.

So that leaves Sons, Alloa and livi. Livi for me are a team that seem to never get it right and will by all accounts have another financial crisis soon.Alloa then have a choice gamble or try there best with what they had. I think they tried to gamble with Danny Lennon and that didn't pay off.

( maybe this is a crazy idea but hear me out)

So that leaves us stick or gamble. We seem to have chosen neither and went down the middle. Bring in stevie who was widely regarded last year as the best PT manager around and give him a good playing budget to overhaul the team. This year so far hasn't been great but I think if we can keep the core of the squad we can progress on and then start challenging for 5 or dare I say it the play offs.

Goal keepers we can argue all day about but if we can keep Wright, Bucky,Barr, Saunders, docherty, Routledge and Nade that's a good grounding for next year the other players you can make an arguement for or against.

I will probably be shouted down by folk on here with this comment but I think this will be Flemings last year with us. I have nothing against the guy and think he has been brilliant for the majority of his time with us but in my gut I think he'll be away.

Crunch time now for the squad and points on the board are all that matters now.  How many points do you reckon we'll need in our remaining games?

Dumbarton:

H - Falkirk
A - QoS
A - Hibs
H - Morton
A - Rangers
H - QoS
H - Raith Rovers
H - St Mirren
A - Alloa Ath

Livingston:
H - St Mirren
A - Falkirk
H - Alloa Athletic
A - Hibernian
A - Morton
H - Rangers
A - Queen of the South
H - Raith Rovers

I reckon 9 points out of that would see us safe, possibly less but 9 I think should be the minimum aim.  We obviously have a game in hand, which if we won would be absolutely huge, but I'm looking primarily at Morton at home, St Mirren at home and Alloa away as 3 we need to win and anything from the rest is a bonus.  Winning those 3 would force Livi to win 5 of their remaining games (or 4 and 2 draws if they want to let it come down to goal difference) in order to condemn us to the play-offs.  We're in a good position and it's all in our own hands, we can't really ask for more than that at the moment.  St Mirren could end up in the mix as well if they lose to us and Livi.

If it wasn't for the defeat to Alloa at home earlier in the season and the poor performance at Livi last week we could (and probably should) have been cruising it by now.  But where's the fun in that, eh?

Crunch time now for the squad and points on the board are all that matters now.  How many points do you reckon we'll need in our remaining games?

Dumbarton:

H - Falkirk L
A - QoS L
A - Hibs L
H - Morton D
A - Rangers L
H - QoS D
H - Raith Rovers D
H - St Mirren W
A - Alloa Ath W

9pts

Livingston:
H - St Mirren W
A - Falkirk L
H - Alloa Athletic W
A - Hibernian L
A - Morton L
H - Rangers L
A - Queen of the South D
H - Raith Rovers W

10pts

That's my rough - and extremely pessimistic - estimate, and it would see us safe. The last two games of the season will be huge, ideally we won't need anything from Alloa away and we can just have a big party...but I think it might be crucial. Of course St Mirren could also end up being dragged into this...