Sons' sorrow

I see the benefit in renewing contracts as you suggest, but going on this seasons performances so far, I think there's only three or four that I'd actively look for us to retain at the moment.

Sorry, I was meaning those who's deal expire in January, potentially leaving us very very short.

Sorry, I was meaning those who's deal expire in January, potentially leaving us very very short.

Apologies, I see what you mean.

Of the ones who's deals expire next month, if they leave, I don't see them having a massively detrimental effect on the side.

Saunders will likely be replaced by Taggart when he's fit.

Brophy is a loss, but he's not been the goalscorer we expected or hoped for when he arrived.

Barr I'd imagine will sign on again until the end of the season.

Steven Ross hasn't really featured much and I don't think he'll be a loss if he does go in January.

It would be disappointing to lose Scott Brown, but I can't imagine he'll be in St. Johnstone's first-team plans as yet, so I'd be hopeful of us retaining him until the end of the season.

Apologies, I see what you mean.

Of the ones who's deals expire next month, if they leave, I don't see them having a massively detrimental effect on the side.

Saunders will likely be replaced by Taggart when he's fit.

Brophy is a loss, but he's not been the goalscorer we expected or hoped for when he arrived.

Barr I'd imagine will sign on again until the end of the season.

Steven Ross hasn't really featured much and I don't think he'll be a loss if he does go in January.

It would be disappointing to lose Scott Brown, but I can't imagine he'll be in St. Johnstone's first-team plans as yet, so I'd be hopeful of us retaining him until the end of the season.

I hope we retain brown and Lindsay, both very decent. Barr I'm not the biggest fan of, with Wright playing well I'm not too fussed either way. Would like to see Saunders kept.

Ross can leave.

We've got Smith coming back to us in January.

How has he done at Cowden, I take it we'll probably just release him?

I doubt we'll release him, that would involve a payoff unless we can agree a mutual consent deal. No idea how he's done, but I don't think he's good enough for the Championship.

I hope we retain brown and Lindsay, both very decent. Barr I'm not the biggest fan of, with Wright playing well I'm not too fussed either way. Would like to see Saunders kept.

Ross can leave.

I'd definitely keep Brown, probably Lindsay as well although he's had as many good games as bad ones. Barr and Wright has worked well together so keep Darren. Genuinely don't know about Saunders. He was excellent on his debut but hasn't been anything great since then - I actually prefer Brown at RB - and with Taggart hopefully returning to fitness soon I don't see him getting in the team.

I keep forgetting about Steven Ross' existence, probably best for both parties if he just heads back up north.

Ross can leave.

I haven't seen enough of Lindsay to make a fair judgement, but he's not started many games has he?

I'm not Barr's biggest fan either, but he's been a 'first-pick' for Aitken so far, so I'd image he'd at least be offered terms for the end of the season.

I'd love to keep Saunders, but I think it's been made clear from the outset that it was a short-term deal. He's been here to play games and get fit. He's done that, excelled in most games I've seen him in, and I wouldn't grudge him a move to a bigger club or higher level.

Ross is a strange one. He was brought in by Aitken so there must be something there for Aitken to want to bring him here. But he's rarely featured and when he has, he's looked lost and very lightweight. A strange move that doesn't seem to have benefited either party much.

Aitken has a busy time ahead of him hopefully in finding replacements/additions to the squad, and in key areas too.

Any news on when we're likely or even possibly going to see Taggart being able to return to the side?

I doubt we'll release him, that would involve a payoff unless we can agree a mutual consent deal. No idea how he's done, but I don't think he's good enough for the Championship.

Genuinely don't know about Saunders. He was excellent on his debut but hasn't been anything great since then - I actually prefer Brown at RB - and with Taggart hopefully returning to fitness soon I don't see him getting in the team.

I think that's harsh on Saunders. He did have a great debut, and I think since then he's been at the very least solid. He's ungainly in his movement and he's not pacey, but as a full-back he's as dependable as anyone we've had for a long while. Since maybe Craig Brittain? When I think of some of the full-backs we've had in the last couple of seasons, they make Saunders look like Dani Alves!

Aitken might feel like giving Smith a go in the team, depending on how he's done at Cowden'.

If he's not likely to get a game and that's made clear to him, I can't imagine he'd be on enough money to make him want to sit around for the next four or five months without a game, so releasing him might be an agreement that does work for both parties.

I think that's harsh on Saunders. He did have a great debut, and I think since then he's been at the very least solid. He's ungainly in his movement and he's not pacey, but as a full-back he's as dependable as anyone we've had for a long while. Since maybe Craig Brittain? When I think of some of the full-backs we've had in the last couple of seasons, they make Saunders look like Dani Alves!

Aitken might feel like giving Smith a go in the team, depending on how he's done at Cowden'.

If he's not likely to get a game and that's made clear to him, I can't imagine he'd be on enough money to make him want to sit around for the next four or five months without a game, so releasing him might be an agreement that does work for both parties.

I said it earlier on, but Saunders has shown me nothing to suggest he's any better than Scott Taggart so far. With Taggart back and Barr partnering Buchanan/Wright in the middle I don't see where we would start him.

Perhaps a move to centre half would be his best option. But I wouldn't be overly keen to drop Wright given how solid he's looked recently.

I said it earlier on, but Saunders has shown me nothing to suggest he's any better than Scott Taggart so far. With Taggart back and Barr partnering Buchanan/Wright in the middle I don't see where we would start him.

Perhaps a move to centre half would be his best option. But I wouldn't be overly keen to drop Wright given how solid he's looked recently.

I suppose that's what makes it all interesting, it's all about opinions.

I really rate Saunders and think he's been pretty solid when I've seen him (granted I've not seen every game) and you know what you get with him.

As much as Taggart would probably be our first choice (as fans as a whole) at right-back, if, and it's a big if, Saunders were to stay, I don't know if Aitken would be automatically re-introducing Taggart to the team when he's fit.

If we were to keep Saunders, I certainly wouldn't be keen to see him shunted in to central defence. Firstly because it's not his natural position, and secondly, because even though he lacks pace, his positional sense in his natural position gets him through, I'm not sure if he would thrive centrally.

Wasnt he capped for Scotland as a centre back?

Aye

I couldn't tell you, I'm not sure.

It's not his natural position though I'm sure of that, he's a right-back by trade.

If I'm mistaken then I'll hold my hands up, but I certainly prefer him at full-back than potentially moving him inside.

I think he is a centre back by trade actually:

He's really not a right back, but will do a job there if pushed, and not asked to contribute in an attacking sense. You'd be much better off with Darren Barr at right back and Saunders in the middle, but getting the pair of them fit at the same time requires enormously complicated scientific equations.

He's a very decent - but permanently injured - centre half. He's a very, very limited right back. I'd go as far as saying he's not really a right back at all. I wish him well.

Saunders the best full back we've had since Craig Brittain? I seem to remember a certain Paul McGinn in the not too dim and distant!

Fair enough, I'd omitted McGinn from my thoughts on that, but I'd only said Saunders was as dependable a full-back as we've had since Brittain. And in his short time with us, Saunders has been very solid. McGinn was class though, that's certainly true.

apart from his two goals against raith you mean?, Saunders worst game was first half away to hibs, probably down to stevies tactics, otherwise solid, long way to catch up with Craig brittain

apart from his two goals against raith you mean?, Saunders worst game was first half away to hibs, probably down to stevies tactics, otherwise solid, long way to catch up with Craig brittain

He did do well to get the two goals against Raith, but he was rancid (as were the whole team to be fair) before that first goal went in. I'd say the Falkirk home game - when we tried some bizarre offside trap experiment - match was probably his worst.