January Transfers

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't sounds that Danny Lennon was overly confident about keeping McLean tomorrow on Radio Scotland tonight I thought.

Sounded like a classic politician's answer really. Saw a suggestion from div on Twitter he only played last night to show clubs wanting him he was fit. We should have left him out then!

If McLean is to go then so be it. However we should be holding out for the best offer possible. He's going to go in either this window or next and we have cover. It'll be a shame to lose him but the emergence of McGinn and the acquisition of Newton softs the blow somewhat.

As for Dummett I don't think he'll be back. Didn't realise he was at the game, but if you were to ask me it was more a chance to watch Newton.

Its about time they scrapped the transfer windows, they are fucking shite.

I agree with this, I think they benefit the bigger clubs to the detriment of the smaller clubs. Many clubs of United's size have a couple of key players, a last day bid for one of them might be too much to refuse but gives no time to bring in a replacement.

Only slight saving grace in the present climate is the increased number of free agents that are available.

If McLean is to go then so be it. However we should be holding out for the best offer possible. He's going to go in either this window or next and we have cover. It'll be a shame to lose him but the emergence of McGinn and the acquisition of Newton softs the blow somewhat.

As for Dummett I don't think he'll be back. Didn't realise he was at the game, but if you were to ask me it was more a chance to watch Newton.

I think we'll sign Dummett - and that's based on more than just a hunch or an educated guess.

I agree with this, I think they benefit the bigger clubs to the detriment of the smaller clubs. Many clubs of United's size have a couple of key players, a last day bid for one of them might be too much to refuse but gives no time to bring in a replacement.

Everything benefits the big clubs it's nothing to do with the window. If anything the window is better for the smaller or more financially prudent clubs. However perhaps instead of the window you had a 3 month lock down at the end of the season during which time nobody could move until the season finished. You don't want to be in a position where bigger clubs, or financially reckless ones will buy their way to titles (or buy their way out of relegation) in the final games.

Personally I hope we desist from signing anybody. No point in wasting money when the baw's burst. Better to retain whatever resources we have so we can move quickly in the summer to build a squad aiming for promotion next season. With Smith's apparent complete lack of contacts you have to wonder who he will bring in.

From what I have seen the striking department is the biggest problem with none of our strikers being good enough to lead even an SFL1 line with Stewart in particular absolutely honking.

This lack of contacts with Smith is a real problem IMO. I have always said, even when he was a player that he wasn't management material. The players do seem to play for him though, with no signs so far of heads going down, but you have to be able to get the right guys in, in the first place.

In sharp contrast to this is Ray McKinnon, who through his time at Largs is very well connected. Furthermore he has an extensive knowledge of the Junior game and I know for a fact he believes that their are a few nuggets there waiting to be mined. Thistle have unearthed a couple themselves I believe.

It's harsh I know given all he has been through but maybe we need to bite the bullet.

Personally I hope we desist from signing anybody. No point in wasting money when the baw's burst.

You'll remember the post I made a while back when Smith's position was being discussed saying that spending money just now was wasting it and you are better to blood the youths and get the club on a structure ready for a tilt at the 1st division. That still stands and I was surprised to see Dundee bring Harkins back, especially considering it wouldn't have been for free and that he'll be on bigger wages than most.

Can't see Rangers signing anyone if I'm honest...

I think you might be lost, this is the SPL transfer thread.. ;)

Seriously though if McCoist has learnt anything he'll be looking at the players performing well in the 1st division and add them to your squad (it'll have to be PCA's to avoid the embargo but there are enough players running out their contracts in the lower leagues). In many ways, going for players who were in the top division, like Kyle, Sandaza, Shiels and Black it's backfired on you as these are just not players who will grind out victories in sodden muddy fields in the lower leagues.

You'll remember the post I made a while back when Smith's position was being discussed saying that spending money just now was wasting it and you are better to blood the youths and get the club on a structure ready for a tilt at the 1st division. That still stands and I was surprised to see Dundee bring Harkins back, especially considering it wouldn't have been for free and that he'll be on bigger wages than most.

You are probably right on most of the above points. I doubt we paid very much for Harkins and the local rumour being it was paid by a local 'businessman' but players returning rarely work out that well. He is a skillful player though, and derryied oot his nut.

Can't see Rangers signing anyone if I'm honest...

I think you might be lost, this is the SPL transfer thread.. ;)

Seriously though if McCoist has learnt anything he'll be looking at the players performing well in the 1st division and add them to your squad (it'll have to be PCA's to avoid the embargo but there are enough players running out their contracts in the lower leagues). In many ways, going for players who were in the top division, like Kyle, Sandaza, Shiels and Black it's backfired on you as these are just not players who will grind out victories in sodden muddy fields in the lower leagues.

I'd be happy sticking with the youngsters if I'm honest. The likes of Shiels, Sandaza etc are the ones who have let us down this year!

Archived