Mosconi cup

taurus

• 1 year later...

Bump because it's that time of year again. Week off work and not bloody there. Thanks, 2020.

Jayson Shaw adding the needle at the press conference tonight with references to "snakes" on the other side.

3-2 Europe at the end of a bizarre day one. USA won the team match having been 3-0 down before a foul was called on Kaci's shirt touching a ball. Gorst and Filler levelled with a doubles win over SVB and Deuel. Kaci somehow held on in the singles against rookie Chris Robinson to take advantage of the Californian drifting out of position in the final rack. Shaw and Ouschan were gifted the next doubles with Woodward (and Thorpe) failing to call when pushing out - those 2 might be better off concentrating on their game rather than playing with their mullets. Ouschan stayed on for the final singles against SVB who edged it to bring the score back to 3-2. The table hasn't been giving up much at all on the break, with possibly Robinson and SVB getting the better of it, but very few break and runs particularly in the early games.

Standard is the poorest I can remember. Which is much more interesting than the days of Johnny Archer and Earl sodding Strickland winning racks from the break without missing a shot over and over again. Long may it last.

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

4 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Standard is the poorest I can remember. Which is much more interesting than the days of Johnny Archer and Earl sodding Strickland winning racks from the break without missing a shot over and over again. Long may it last.

I've certainly seen odd days before where the breaks have been tough. Wouldn't be at all surprised if it was complete turnaround on that tomorrow, particularly for the americans. Dunno how much the standard can be put down to the lack of tournaments this year, but those stupid fouls were embarassing.

Both teams improved today and the breaks were playing much better than yesterday, as expected. Europe held their nerve on three deciding racks and end up winning the day 5-0. Shaw notching up 3 wins. Think the biggest session win I've been at is 4-1, so thanks, covid, for missing that one (although I did get to have the football on as well).

38 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Hopefully Europe beat them with a day to spare.

If there had been a crowd allowed in, we might already have seen the final match today held over to make sure there was a day 4.

And.. that's it for another year. Europe win 3-1 on the final day, 11-3 overall. Shaw seals MVP by clinching the final point against Shane. Second time he's knocked in the final point, sadly this time I won't be rushing across London to get to a gig as soon as the cup is in the bag.