Mosconi cup

taurus

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 27/10/2021 at 12:40, MP_MFC said:

Earl the Pearl, the p***k’s p***k, is back for the next instalment!

Right, here we go. Press conference the day before the Mosconi... And old Earl is out because someone on his flight tested positive. US fans taking it well, obviously.

Day 1. Crowd is way down on previous years, even with smaller arena it looks sparse. Around 600 I guess.

USA played more solidly and took the team game and first doubles, including ball in hand in the final rack when Kaci shot out of turn. Filler notched the first point for Europe against SVB before Shaw and Alcaide levelled with a 5-0 win over Woodward and JJ (standing in for no-show Strickland).

Other Highlights included watching a Man Utd fan getting carried away singing YNWA, decent beer in the venue, and a recommendable kebab on the way home. Not so much the absolute soaking we got for setting out as storm Barra hit.

Day 2. Starts with Shaw Vs SVB in the fan's choice match. Can't remember who I voted for anyway. Point for Europe. Next Woodward vs a somewhat off form Ouschan. Level again. Next a doubles match involving the same 4 players. USA sets the tone by winning the lag and a golden break. 4-3 USA. Filler vs Styer... Surprise one for me as Styer backs up a solid play with some ridiculous luck. 'more rolls than a bakery' as the US fans like to say about Filler, not today. Final doubles match looks to be going to USA also until a comeback from 1-4 to 5-4 takes the point for Europe. End of day 2, 5-4 USA leads.

Other highlights: decent beer in the arena, lunch at bill's, trying to keep up with all the American fans whining online. Colour of the cloth, colour of the balls, Earl being selected, Earl being kicked out, the coverage, the fans, matchroom pool, ...

12 hours ago, MP_MFC said:

Some amount of fannies in the crowd.

You might think the 'Extension' thing would get boring for them, but it would appear not. It's like a bunch of Catherine Tate characters, and just as funny.

29 minutes ago, Raven said:

Day 2. Starts with Shaw Vs SVB in the fan's choice match. Can't remember who I voted for anyway. Point for Europe. Next Woodward vs a somewhat off form Ouschan. Level again. Next a doubles match involving the same 4 players. USA sets the tone by winning the lag and a golden break. 4-3 USA. Filler vs Styer... Surprise one for me as Styer backs up a solid play with some ridiculous luck. 'more rolls than a bakery' as the US fans like to say about Filler, not today. Final doubles match looks to be going to USA also until a comeback from 1-4 to 5-4 takes the point for Europe. End of day 2, 5-4 USA leads.

Other highlights: decent beer in the arena, lunch at bill's, trying to keep up with all the American fans whining online. Colour of the cloth, colour of the balls, Earl being selected, Earl being kicked out, the coverage, the fans, matchroom pool, ...

Ouschan was awful. I know the pockets are tighter this year but he was missing the jaws by 2 or 3 inches.

Cracking last rack which is a decider. Really enjoyed tonight with Europe going from 5-3 down to 8-5 up in this decider of the final match of the night. Plenty of misses, tactical play, great shots.

What a f**k up by Jones, let Alcaide in but no guarantees he'll clear.

Edited by meanmistermustard

Day 3. I had this predicted as 4-2 but Europe took it with a 5-0 whitewash and final match held over. The main talking point obviously being JJs blunder at the end, running out of time by asking to have the cue ball cleaned. Stealing major embarrassment from the jaws of victory. He did own up to the mistake afterwards.

US fans taking it well, as expected. Blaming the ref, the crowd, Matchroom pool, and one particular choice example blaming members of a religious following who've historically copped the blame for many things but a time foul in a pool match may be a new one.

• 11 months later...