Depression

Indeed, mate - a guy I (vaguely) knew committed suicide a few years ago - he was a postie. so it was very much a mail male environment that he worked in.

All the guys were gutted, and a few were saying "You'd think he would have spoken to one of us about his problems" and suchlike - most people agreed, though, that it was hardly something that you would talk to a fellow postie about - Scottish males just don't talk about emotional problems.

That's why we talk about fitba all the time.

Post men are invariably alcoholic loners.....them and janitors. They all kill themselves eventually.

Post men are invariably alcoholic loners.....them and janitors. They all kill themselves eventually.

And take everyone down with them, too. The phrase "going postal" wasn't just made up nonsense, you know! Well, it kind of was, but you know what I mean.

Do you think they'll still have you, it's been a long time? Maybe they'll let you play the triangle or dance at the back for a wee while. Just until they're sure you won't piss off again.

I realise you're not taking this seriously, but other folk are - would you mind fucking off, please?

P+B did well there. 5 pages of serious and honest talk about a subject that we all feel a bit uncomfortable with, and the desire to crack a joke well nye irresistable. Sergeant Wilson! Get your troops in order! And leave the church hall!

P+B did well there. 5 pages of serious and honest talk about a subject that we all feel a bit uncomfortable with, and the desire to crack a joke well nye irresistable. Sergeant Wilson! Get your troops in order! And leave the church hall!

Speak for yourself. I don't feel uncomfortable with the subject at all. I've suffered with depression on and off since I was a child. I'm not embarrassed about it or ashamed of it. I think it's something I'll always have to be aware of. I could so easily slip back into trouble with it and I've learned to recognise the signs when I feel it may be about to become a problem. It doesn't bother me in the slightest that some people laugh and joke and make light of the subject, it can be a bit of a relief and I wouldn't mind betting that a lot of people with mental health issues feel the same way.

If all discussion on the matter had to be 100% serious, it'd be a lot harder to deal with.

Speak for yourself. I don't feel uncomfortable with the subject at all. I've suffered with depression on and off since I was a child. I'm not embarrassed about it or ashamed of it. I think it's something I'll always have to be aware of. I could so easily slip back into trouble with it and I've learned to recognise the signs when I feel it may be about to become a problem. It doesn't bother me in the slightest that some people laugh and joke and make light of the subject, it can be a bit of a relief and I wouldn't mind betting that a lot of people with mental health issues feel the same way.

If all discussion on the matter had to be 100% serious, it'd be a lot harder to deal with.

But you're a woman...

Totally agree. My technique of coping when it hits is trying to look back in from the outside and point out how idiotic I am. And friends taking the pish helps too. Depression is the last thing you should take seriously. It just looked like the topic was getting hijacked for battles elsewhere in the forum, and I thought the good Sergeant was the man to sort it out. As he does. Painfully.

Not just that though, that's more a turn of phrase sometimes. People come out with cryptic shite all the time. A status update of simply ":-(". So they can get a response of 'aaawwwww babe!' or *hugs*.

Human emotions are a broad spectrum. Lots of things going on inside people that they do not even know about. Someone may be constantly at the attention seeking up dates not realising they have a serious underlying problem brewing away and the only way they can reach out is to occasional make silly facebook updates.

Obviously there are more than a few melodramatic souls who do milk the attention.

Scotland still has a very stoic, Presbyterian, macho culture. You are not meant to show weakness or too much emotion. Some people like this but it leads to people keeping things bottled up. As I said when things are brewing inside, sometimes one of the signs is a bit of attention seeking.

Depression is the last thing you should take seriously.

Depends on the individual and what 'depression' they are experiencing. But not taking it seriously people could then not seek help that could massively improve their life. Just because it works for you does not mean it is a cure-all. Your personal experience is unlikely to be a carbon copy of other peoples.

Depends on the individual and what 'depression' they are experiencing. But not taking it seriously people could then not seek help that could massively improve their life. Just because it works for you does not mean it is a cure-all. Your personal experience is unlikely to be a carbon copy of other peoples.

Agreed. And I wasn't trying to underestimate the the serious levels that depression can reach. But the journey to clinical depression can sometimes pass through a stage of daft and pointless brooding about nonsense, and an aware friend taking the piss can be helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Feeling like utter shit just now, doesn't help much when I'm caught up in an argument between my partner & my mother, keep getting dragged into it and having them try to get me on there side, can't be fucked especially with Christmas tomorrow, just making me feel like I did before

Christmas is always a bit of a strange time for me. I love it for all the usual family reasons (especially my daughter's excitement). But my best friend committed suicide on christmas day. We were both serving in belfast when he shot himself. Having seen what we had seen on previous tours you would automatically think it was those experiences that drove him over the edge but I reckon it was more to do with us both about to leave and his quite bizarre family.

He was the bubbliest person I ever knew who wasnt phased by anything, which made it all the harder to take.

Support now compared to then is like night and day.