Depression

laugh.gif So the fear of what other people have to say about them is that awful? Surely if there's something wrong with you , having people call you a misery guts is going to be low on your list of priorities.

If I'm feeling down and someone says "Don't worry, it might never happen!", severe pain rises to the top of their list of priorities.

Few years ago I was in a pretty bad state, ended up at the doctors looking for sleeping pills and ended up as part of a refferal from work having to speak to a councillor for a bit. Initally to see what teh issues were and determine how best to help me, they took me off the sleeping tablets as they didnt want me getting addicted to them and my work were pretty supportive at the time (at the time mind you) and although few of my friends knew what was happening or the reasons behind it they were always there when i needed them

Fast forward a few years I have moved to Edinburgh to help make changes in my life, have plenty of friends here and back in Fife. Occassionally i have small relapses tho thankfully not as frequently as they used to be and things are gradually looking better.

A lot of people who claim to be depressed are just moaning c***s, ones who stick things about it on fb are the actual worst! Sometimes I wonder where all the men went!

Do you even know how bluntly offensive your post is? As someone who is suffering from severe depression I cannot help but find it very destructive and horrible that someone links depression to not being a "real man". What is a "real man" anyway? I'm intrigued.

Edited by uni

Do you even know how bluntly offensive your post is? As someone who is suffering from severe depression I cannot help but find it very destructive and horrible that someone links depression to not being a "real man". What is a "real man" anyway? I'm intrigued.

I don't find his post offensive. It's laughable. It's either trolling, which is pathetic and only done by tossers who don't deserve a scrap of the attention they crave, or it's serious and therefore the work of a thundering, ignorant moron, who also deserves no time at all.

Unfortunately, even though he's being a p***k about it and totally tactless, he has a point in some regards when it comes to Facebook.

Genuinely depressed people won't put "OMFG I'm so depressed :,( " as a status update on Facebook to garner sympathy from friends and seek attention, the vast majority of genuinely depressed people will bottle things up, silently let it drag them down further and grind them down. Depressed people, in my experience, don't want anyone to know they are depressed.

The sheer amount of people on social networking sites who shout from the rooftops about their depression and use it almost to get large amounts of replies and 'likes', when they are clearly not depressed at all, are in fact harming genuine cases as the stigma of attention seeking understandably grows.

It's extremely sad, but it's the truth.

Edited by djchapsticks

Unfortunately, even though he's being a p***k about it and totally tactless, he has a point in some regards when it comes to Facebook.

Good point. Too many people on things like Facebook come out with "So depressed after that Celtic game" or "Depressed that X Factor's finished". Morons.

Good point. Too many people on things like Facebook come out with "So depressed after that Celtic game" or "Depressed that X Factor's finished". Morons.

Not just that though, that's more a turn of phrase sometimes. People come out with cryptic shite all the time. A status update of simply ":-(". So they can get a response of 'aaawwwww babe!' or *hugs*.

It's attention seeking and detracts from people who actually are depressed as well as running the risk of desensitising the cynics in our society (like myself ;) ) who would show proper empathy to someone who was suffering from actual depression.

Not just that though, that's more a turn of phrase sometimes. People come out with cryptic shite all the time. A status update of simply ":-(". So they can get a response of 'aaawwwww babe!' or *hugs*.

It's attention seeking and detracts from people who actually are depressed as well as running the risk of desensitising the cynics in our society (like myself ;) ) who would show proper empathy to someone who was suffering from actual depression.

Very true, I just find alot of people use the word depression quite flippantly when in actuality they have no clue what someone who really has depression is going through.

It would be probably be better if we all just got it off our chests though.

Apparently its one of the major killers of young men because of the reluctance to speak to anyone about it.

Indeed, mate - a guy I (vaguely) knew committed suicide a few years ago - he was a postie. so it was very much a mail male environment that he worked in.

All the guys were gutted, and a few were saying "You'd think he would have spoken to one of us about his problems" and suchlike - most people agreed, though, that it was hardly something that you would talk to a fellow postie about - Scottish males just don't talk about emotional problems.

That's why we talk about fitba all the time.

Nah you're alright. You just keep posting.

Realise though that superficial cynicism ruins you mate. Think deeper and enjoy life more. You're ok by the way; a good guy

DHB:

(22.69 per day)

DJC:

(1.69 per day)

One of us is enjoying life Davie...and the stats don't stack up in your favour, Champ.

Different shapes and sizes can masquerade as diamonds and rust

Anyway, this is a serious thread, with people making serious points about a condition that many on here have suffered. If you must have a blind stab at my character or how much of a 'windbag' I am, please do so in your own Davie Hay thread and I'll gleefully pick you apart on there. As it is, please refrain from anymore juvenile shenanigans on what is a very insightful topic.

Thanks.