Depression

People that are getting down about not being able to find a girl/boy, don't be. The good relationships start off by complete random and in my eyes they ones are the best. My current girlfriend who i genuinely haven't been with for very long is an absolutely lovely girl and means an awful lot to me already. I met her by chance, as my old work needed someone to go work at another store and they decided i should go, i tried to get out of it, but it's where i met her and we hit it off right away and now we're happy, i often wonder what i'd be doing just now if my work just decided to send someone else! There's no rush in finding love, that will come in time.

Plus rushing relationships is a very bad idea! I moved in with my ex far too soon. Now I'm stuck with a house I don't want, in a place I don't like and miles away from people i wanna see.

Anyone who fancies pm-ing me about anything feel free. I have never had depression but I'm a good listener.

Also IO if you're ever in dundee i'll take you out and you'll forget you ever had a girlfriend when you wake up next to 2 hilltown minks who'll happily sit on your face for the price of a bus fare

:lol: :lol: :lol:

People that are getting down about not being able to find a girl/boy, don't be. The good relationships start off by complete random and in my eyes they ones are the best. My current girlfriend who i genuinely haven't been with for very long is an absolutely lovely girl and means an awful lot to me already. I met her by chance, as my old work needed someone to go work at another store and they decided i should go, i tried to get out of it, but it's where i met her and we hit it off right away and now we're happy, i often wonder what i'd be doing just now if my work just decided to send someone else! There's no rush in finding love, that will come in time.

Plus rushing relationships is a very bad idea! I moved in with my ex far too soon. Now I'm stuck with a house I don't want, in a place I don't like and miles away from people i wanna see.

Anyone who fancies pm-ing me about anything feel free. I have never had depression but I'm a good listener.

Also IO if you're ever in dundee i'll take you out and you'll forget you ever had a girlfriend when you wake up next to 2 hilltown minks who'll happily sit on your face for the price of a bus fare

Classy place.

You can say that again.

Here's what happened with my most recent ex(over a year ago mind)

We started talking in about Feb/March, through mutual friends, who introduced us knowing we'd be going to the same uni.

One thing led to another and we were pretty much inseparable over the summer(I say inseparable, but we were fairly long distance so a lot of it was skype, constant texting etc)

After we'd been seeing each other for a few months, mostly long distance, we got our halls allocations and were in adjoining flats(purely by chance) so were more or less moving in together after knowing each other for 6 months and dating for about 3

September, moving day, I move in on Saturday at 7pm, and by Tuesday morning I'm single, we couldn't stand each other when we'd had a drink and she wanted to sleep around with other guys(Her reason for dumping me btw)

So basically yeah we moved in and realised we actually couldn't stand each other.

Just had to rant about that one I guess, and with hindsight, as much as I'm sad and single now, I'm glad I got out of there once we really got to know what each other was like around other people. The circumstances made me feel a bit shit though and I struggled to settle in because of it.

Reading this thread gives me some pretty... I dunno how to describe it, but powerful emotions. It's fairly hard to explain - I guess its just that reading people be so honest about events in their lives that are causing them some serious distress causes the empathy-o-meter to go into overdrive.

Only way I can sum it up is that I want to give a lot of you people hugs. edit: and/or get hilltown minks to sit on my face, truth be told

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

As an aside, has anyone used Tinder before? This guy that got retweeted on to my timeline a few weeks back went home alone from a night out, then went on tinder and found some burd and went up to her flat and pumped her :lol:

Anyway - onto a somewhat more serious note;

I guess this was a depressing moment - I'm over it now, I think, but its something I think I'd like to put into writing (for closure, or catharsis, perhaps, or possibly just to let anyone else on here with a similar experience know that they aren't alone - which is, I think, important in its own right), but a few months back I found my girlfriends stepdad dead in the toilet.

We'd gone round (he was a functioning alchoholic, and my gf liked to pop round every other weekend - partly to check on her stepdad, but also to feed the cat, since if he was on a big binge he'd usually lay in bed all day - sometimes, depending on when he started drinking and how long for/how much he had, the cat would go without food from one night til late the next afternoon) and my gf let us in with her spare key - I went to sit in the living room, she tended to the cat while shouting for her stepdad. There was no response. I was having a ciggy in the living room and she went into his bedroom shouting for him - she went quiet, and then after a few horrible moments she came out in tears and shouted that there was something wrong with her dad.

I stubbed out the cigarette and ran through, and I went into his bathroom - his head was resting against the toilet pan, he was jaundiced, his eyes were wide open and his body was horribly contorted - there was no blood. I remember screaming for an ambulance and shouting at him to wake up, and then I touched him and he was frozen cold - literally felt like touching cold concrete.

I went out and I can remember telling my gf, on the phone to the emergency services at that point, that I thought he was gone. And then I broke down in tears.

Everything after that was kind of a procession - waiting for the ambulance paramedic who confirmed what we already knew - he'd passed away, then for the police since it was sudden death, then the private ambulance to take him away.

What's quite funny, thinking on it now, and one thing that stands out is that later, we found a list of passwords he kept for his computer - most of them were pretty obvious (he had the first three letters of my girlfriends surname and forename plus her age, for example, and his cat.) But there was one we couldn't figure out - BAS23SCO. And then, after a while, it hit me and I just burst out laughing - my gf didn't get it, and then I explained to her that 23 was my age, SCO was the first three initials of my name, and the BAS... you can figure out for yourselves. :lol:

It didn't bother me, though - he'd told me before (admittedly while steaming) that as long as I was making my gf happy, that I was alright in his books. I was never particularly keen on him while he was alive, in all honesty, and I don't think he was particularly keen on me - but seeing him like that, and the absolute horror on my gf's face, was (and still is) the worst moment of my life.

I don't know if I should feel guilty or not, but it literally only took me a couple of days before I started feeling back to normal. My gf coped surprisingly well but did take a few weeks to get back to normal.

edit: it later turned out he'd died from heart failure. In its own way that was kind of comforting - if he was steaming at the time (likely) and had a heart failure it'd have been over in moments.

It's nice getting that all in writing, by the way - and apologies if the above is written in a bit of a novelistic (sp?) way - just wrote it out the way it popped into my head.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

At the moment, I'm pretty stressed out due to exams but I have completely lost any motivation to study anymore. I'm in a Law degree but I don't want to be a lawyer any more,it's filled with wankers and I just can't be bothered with it anymore, I'm at the stage where I probably have to repeat a year if I decide to change course .But It's almost like I subconsciously want to fail. I had to work pretty hard to get to this point and it's not what I expected. Now slaving away for hours on end is becoming harder to do.

It's a brilliant thread and if anyone wants someone to talk to I'm all ears...

I did also mean to post on my long rambling post that if anyone wants to talk about things like others I'm also open to discussion either by PM or getting a pint or whatever. Get a wee bit too self absorbed at times.

At the moment, I'm pretty stressed out due to exams but I have completely lost any motivation to study anymore. I'm in a  Law degree but I don't want to be a lawyer any more,it's filled with wankers and I just can't be bothered with it anymore, I'm at the stage where I probably have to repeat a year  if I decide to change course .But It's almost like I subconsciously want to fail. I had to work pretty hard to get to this point and it's not what I expected. Now slaving away for hours on end is becoming harder to do.

What year are you in just now?

I feel exactly the same as you at times, but as I'm only a few months away from graduating there's no danger I'm swapping courses/dropping out. If you're more then half way through, do you think you could ride it out?

Best of luck whatever you decide.

I too will throw my hat in to the 'PM me' ring. Believe it or not one of my many jobs was a Student Resident Assistant and a big part of the job was talking to people about their issues, something which I felt I was actually decent at. I think I was able to empathise a lot due to my own experiences.

Anyway, I want to hear more about these Hilltown girls...

What year are you in just now?

I feel exactly the same as you at times, but as I'm only a few months away from graduating there's no danger I'm swapping courses/dropping out. If you're more then half way through, do you think you could ride it out?

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Halfway through second year so another two and a half years. I'd rather do something I enjoy rather than be miserable for that period of time.

I too will throw my hat in to the 'PM me' ring. Believe it or not one of my many jobs was a Student Resident Assistant and a big part of the job was talking to people about their issues, something which I felt I was actually decent at. I think I was able to empathise a lot due to my own experiences.

Anyway, I want to hear more about these Hilltown girls...

Have you thought about getting some training in that area? My ex husband decided to do an introduction to counselling course a few years back. It's a short course but long enough to figure out if he liked it or not. He did and went on to do the intermediate and advanced courses and so on. He works in drug and alcohol addiction now.

Halfway through second year so another two and a half years. I'd rather do something I enjoy rather than be miserable for that period of time.

Yeah, that's quite a long time to be miserable. Best of luck with whatever you decide.

At the moment, I'm pretty stressed out due to exams but I have completely lost any motivation to study anymore. I'm in a Law degree but I don't want to be a lawyer any more,it's filled with wankers and I just can't be bothered with it anymore, I'm at the stage where I probably have to repeat a year if I decide to change course .But It's almost like I subconsciously want to fail. I had to work pretty hard to get to this point and it's not what I expected. Now slaving away for hours on end is becoming harder to do.

Very similar to the situation I found myself coming to Xmas in second year of law degree. Slow realisation it was really fucking boring, most of the folk on the course were wankers and the lecturers not much better. Ended up dropping out over Xmas.

Went and had a blow out on drink and drugs for a couple of months until I realised 1. That was really boring 2. I was depressed and got medical help.

Ended up going back to uni and explaining everything to them and they let me do resists in the summer to go onto third year.

I guess the moral of the story is your young and so much time ahead of you so there is no shame in saying- this is shit and moving onto something else. Also, if you change courses you haven't wasted your time as you will get to move into second or third year.

I'm now earning more than anyone on my course. It's not all that matters in life but just to show you that there are loads of options out there besides being a solicitor. Unfortunately, or fortunately for us, having a law degree still opens doors and impresses people- mostly people who haven't done one- so if you can stand to do it I would carry on. If not just change.

A good exercise is focussing on your perfect future and working back from there and noting all the things you have to do on that journey and creating a map for yourself.

I've just had a rotten weekend.

Thursday, Thanksgiving was great. two oldest came round here and cooked, then we went to one of there's to spend more time with family, eat more etc.

Then Bang! Thursday night/ Friday early hours I'm all alone in this house again feeling sorry for myself missing my wife, getting all upset. Missing my last wife, getting really upset. I'd bought booze so the drinkers could have a drink, but of course there was plenty left, so about 3am Friday morning I decided a gals of wine would help me relax, then another, then another and a beer as well..................just kept drinking into Saturday, went to be pissed sometime in the morning about 11ish I think, got up again about 4 and just started drinking again (this is why I've been TT for such a long tie, I'm dangerous)eventually passed out on the couch, woke up in the dark and crawled up to be, spent most of yesterday throwing up/feeling like shit (still feel pretty crappy and tired today. Remaining booze has gone down the sink, don't think I've eaten since Thursday and really don't feel like it

Feeling pretty low still, and waiting on a call from the doc with blood test results from last Wednesday (the fact she said she would call is not encouraging) but that could be me just being negative.

I have work this afternoon and really can't be arsed, but I know it will do me good to go, "keep me busy" as it were.

Anyway, I will be better I just need to not get so upset and I really need to stay away from the alcohol

Sorry to hear that you're going through such a shitty time bud. I'm not sure if you had a drink problem before .But please be very careful with drinking to feel 'better'. I know that I self medicated for years. I would drink about 10 beers a day after work. I felt it was the only way I would survive. How wrong I was. I've cut myself down to 6 beers a fortnight , which is rather good if I do say so myself. Keep your chin up mate.