Depression

3 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

It's not about "strong" and "weak" in these circumstances, but looking after yourself whilst you deal with the past. 

aye - good shout - i probably overdid the strong/weak - good/bad - right/wrong aspect of making progress - lazy terminology, but i found that setting personal milestones and ticking them off was a good way to map the way forward - especially from the point of view of recognising retrograde steps and making that extra effort to get back on track; I can only say what worked for me, though. that's why this is so difficult as everyone is so different and what works for one is just plain daft to another; i'd advocate selfishness again, though - pick up on what you think will do you some good, and disregard the rest- be a bit cynical, do it your own way - then you can take all the credit when it works out !

On 18/04/2020 at 04:20, 8MileBU said:

Depression takes many forms and what life’s throwing at  you just now is manifesting itself as anxiety. So whilst you might not be clinically depressed,  you’ve got good reason to be really worried so don’t hold back when you need to speak to someone, by whatever means.

Im wondering if im depressed or not, if what kind of depression it is (if it is depression). I just dont want to feel irritated because it really affects my mood :(...Any helpful comment? Much appreciated.

45 minutes ago, fummycrash said:

Im wondering if im depressed or not, if what kind of depression it is (if it is depression). I just dont want to feel irritated because it really affects my mood :(...Any helpful comment? Much appreciated.

There are probably people better equipped to recognise what’s up, but if I can provide a helpful comment it’s just to keep posting about how you’re feeling, what it is that’s irritating you or making you irritable.

Realising it’s affecting your mood is good. Try to suss our what it is that’s irritating you and what you can do about. Might not feel like you can do anything or whatever it is bugging you is too large to tackle, but it’s not. Might not be easy or a quick fix but take it day at a time and you’ll get there.

6 hours ago, fummycrash said:

I don’t think it matters what you call it, you recognise that something is there and it’s something you want to work on, what you call it doesn’t matter.

I guess the first thing is to recognise when you are irritated and what set that off and also what are the consequences of it. If you write them down, or post them, you can look for triggers or patterns which you can then work on. 

Hope everyone is doing okay. I have been not too bad the last few weeks, the weather has probably helped. I'm currently still at work as we are doing care packages for the people who are needing it most, its hectic and social distancing is abit of a problem but everyone is trying their best. I did ask to be furloughed but cant see it happening now.

Hi guys, just thought I'd share a wee spoken-word kind of track which I wrote/recorded for my album recently.

I had fairly mild and manageable issues with mental health during my final years at school and also throughout my time at university, but these issues really came to the fore during the three years after graduating. I was living at home with my parents, struggling to find any degree-related job and finding it increasingly difficult to find ways of occupying my mind. I have no doubt that insomnia played a significant part in my struggles with depression and anxiety. At this stage, I knew that I required therapy to prevent things from getting worse.

Insomniac's Lullaby (Interlude) details all of the irrational, ridiculous thoughts which would regularly keep me up at night: the general anxiety, the social anxiety, the hypochondria, the extreme paranoia, the self-importance, the bitterness, the wasted time, the worthlessness and the passive suicidal ideation. I don't expect you to 'enjoy' this one. I don't either. But just thought it might be worthwhile to share on here.

Anyone else finding that they are less patient with people? I seem to be less patient with people i am in day to day contact with. I find myself thinking that things get said that, a few months ago I would have let slide, but i seem to be unable to let anything go. Think this started long before this though. I have found myself more irritable with people and i am not usually like that. 

I am still working, but that creates it’s own problems. The time i get home, get boys homework etc done its yon time. I am starting to see, them being settled for 11pm a victory.

Me and mrs B are trying to keep a bit of normality and routine for the boys, who i have to give credit to, done have well during this. Probably having their xboxs etc has helped. But she has been nights as well. I kind of feel out of sorts with things just now which i know is normal. 
i just feel a bit guilty that because of mrs b being nights and me working shifts to accommodate, they are getting left to make their own food etc. As she is in her bed. I must state at this point they are 11&13, but I don’t know. Feel like i should be there for them more. I am getting plenty of time with the Youngest, but it just involves me getting my arse kicked at star wars battlefront by him. 
i am getting time to do homework with them (which i feel is quite important) just feels like there isn’t enough hours in the day sometimes.

Anyone else finding that they are less patient with people? I seem to be less patient with people i am in day to day contact with. I find myself thinking that things get said that, a few months ago I would have let slide, but i seem to be unable to let anything go. Think this started long before this though. I have found myself more irritable with people and i am not usually like that. 

I am still working, but that creates it’s own problems. The time i get home, get boys homework etc done its yon time. I am starting to see, them being settled for 11pm a victory.
Me and mrs B are trying to keep a bit of normality and routine for the boys, who i have to give credit to, done have well during this. Probably having their xboxs etc has helped. But she has been nights as well. I kind of feel out of sorts with things just now which i know is normal. 
i just feel a bit guilty that because of mrs b being nights and me working shifts to accommodate, they are getting left to make their own food etc. As she is in her bed. I must state at this point they are 11&13, but I don’t know. Feel like i should be there for them more. I am getting plenty of time with the Youngest, but it just involves me getting my arse kicked at star wars battlefront by him. 
i am getting time to do homework with them (which i feel is quite important) just feels like there isn’t enough hours in the day sometimes.

Completely understandable. We’re all a bit more stressed and anxious just now, it’s going to take its toll.
Doing great work with your boys keeping them in a routine as much as possible. Might just be him kicking your arse to you, but it’s spending time with his dad (and being better at something than his dad!) to him. 13 y/o probably more concerned in when he’ll next try to speak his pals or who he fancies. Trying and make some time for just you and the mrs as well, and of course some for yourself.

18 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Completely understandable. We’re all a bit more stressed and anxious just now, it’s going to take its toll.
Doing great work with your boys keeping them in a routine as much as possible. Might just be him kicking your arse to you, but it’s spending time with his dad (and being better at something than his dad!) to him. 13 y/o probably more concerned in when he’ll next try to speak his pals or who he fancies. Trying and make some time for just you and the mrs as well, and of course some for yourself.

Think that has been the biggest frustration for the oldest, not being able to see his pals, which is fair enough. I just don’t want to be someone who is getting annoyed with people all the time. Hopefully this will pass and it is just that is the same sort of strains and stresses everyone is suffering just now. Think it sometimes just good to get it off my chest. We are both off next week, so hopefully get some time together even if it will just be watching that gino, gordon, fred show. 

Think that has been the biggest frustration for the oldest, not being able to see his pals, which is fair enough. I just don’t want to be someone who is getting annoyed with people all the time. Hopefully this will pass and it is just that is the same sort of strains and stresses everyone is suffering just now. Think it sometimes just good to get it off my chest. We are both off next week, so hopefully get some time together even if it will just be watching that gino, gordon, fred show. 

Aye, I couldn’t imagine being a teenager facing your summer written off with this.
All our tempers are being tested just now. Sometimes, especially just now, it’s more important to be nice than right. Being as self aware by noticing you’re getting annoyed and not wanting to be is great and we al need that 5 mins here or there and to get things off our chests [emoji106]

20 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Aye, I couldn’t imagine being a teenager facing your summer written off with this.
All our tempers are being tested just now. Sometimes, especially just now, it’s more important to be nice than right. Being as self aware by noticing you’re getting annoyed and not wanting to be is great and we al need that 5 mins here or there and to get things off our chests emoji106.png

I know everyones being tested just now in different ways. Think because i am that used to being patient with folk and letting things go, i maybe notice it more. Cheers for the advice. It’s always good just to get a different perspective on things. 

I know everyones being tested just now in different ways. Think because i am that used to being patient with folk and letting things go, i maybe notice it more. Cheers for the advice. It’s always good just to get a different perspective on things. 

Probably partly that. That and you’re now stuck in the house with no real break from it, it’s easy to fester and a little annoyance is followed by another and it gets to boiling point. No thanks needed at all mate, we’re all here for each other

I'm finding alot of the guys in my work are really snappy, I try to help them out rather than get annoyed with it as this is something we are all going through but sometimes it's hard when your struggling yourself.

12 hours ago, harkinsbaldpatch said:
19 hours ago, buchan30 said:

I'm finding alot of the guys in my work are really snappy, I try to help them out rather than get annoyed with it as this is something we are all going through but sometimes it's hard when your struggling yourself.

The folk at my work are being really smart arsey. Think this seems to be getting to me whereas usually it wouldn’t bother me. 

The folk at my work are being really smart arsey. Think this seems to be getting to me whereas usually it wouldn’t bother me. 
Alot of folk in my work aren't giving a f**k about the social distancing which is something that I have gave up even trying to discuss with management, even got asked why the f**k i was using the alcohol rub as it's a waste of time.

16 hours ago, harkinsbaldpatch said:
On 28/04/2020 at 15:26, buchan30 said:

Alot of folk in my work aren't giving a f**k about the social distancing which is something that I have gave up even trying to discuss with management, even got asked why the f**k i was using the alcohol rub as it's a waste of time.

The alcohol rub isn’t a waste of time, it can be sometimes tough to get a chance to wash your hands all the time, so that is the next best thing. Works for me and if it works for you then never mind what the rest of them say. I use it all the time through my day at work as well and it seems to have helped so far. Pretty shocking that your management has quite relaxed attitude about it all. All you can do is your bit by trying to social distance, wash your hands, use the gel. 

This week has been a bad one. Every week for months now has been bad but this one has been especially bad. I’ve been struggling to sleep until 3 or 4 am. I’ve been teary. So many reminders came up this week (and next) of things my Dad and I did, or my ex and I did. I’m missing work and my colleagues and know I probably won’t have work again until Oct at the earliest. I’m thinking of starting back on St. John’s Wort to see if they help. 

11 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

This week has been a bad one. Every week for months now has been bad but this one has been especially bad. I’ve been struggling to sleep until 3 or 4 am. I’ve been teary. So many reminders came up this week (and next) of things my Dad and I did, or my ex and I did. I’m missing work and my colleagues and know I probably won’t have work again until Oct at the earliest. I’m thinking of starting back on St. John’s Wort to see if they help. 

Vitamin D supplements are also an idea; whether it was placebo or not, they made a noticeable difference in my mood over winter.  I started taking them anyway, as when the wee one was born the paediatrician advised us to give her to take one drop a day of Vit D liquid - we asked if natural sunlight would be enough - which was fair as we were living in Miami at the time - and he reckoned we'd need to stick her on the balcony in the scud for 4 hours a day to get enough. So multiply that to an adult body, likely seeing even less daylight at the minute than you'd normally get in Scotland and the maths seems to work out. 

Edited by carpetmonster