Depression

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

How do you know if you are depressed or suffering from mental illness of some sort and not just temporarily going through a tough time?

I think most people as they go through life will face tough times. If it in turn is impacting on your ability to complete simple tasks then it’s possibly leading to depression/anxiety etc. Best thing to do is talk it through with someone. 

16 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

How do you know if you are depressed or suffering from mental illness of some sort and not just temporarily going through a tough time?

If you think you are, you probably are.

Also there's no time limit on suffering from depression or another mental illness. It's quite possible to suffer from them short term. 

The tough time could be causing depression or another mental illness, amd and it could abate after the tough time is over. 

I think most people as they go through life will face tough times. If it in turn is impacting on your ability to complete simple tasks then it’s possibly leading to depression/anxiety etc. Best thing to do is talk it through with someone. 
Aye. Iv often said that to the wife when she spoke to me about stuff. That she needs to give some credit to the trials and tribulations we have faced recently including one absolute b*****d of a year there past emotionally. But I am starting to wonder if I have never dealt with stuff that happened, and now I am under quite a serious weight of responsibility at my work (not job related, but as a shop steward trying to do the best I can for the people I stand for). I have never felt burden likw this in my life though and I worry I am going to unravel.

The thing to do is try and head it off. It's good that you can recognise a problem. Next stop is getting help for it. 
The stuff with my work will be over soon. But once its done, its likely to present me with a new problem of having to find another job, or work the new regime I have fought like f**k against which I cant stomach. Maybe finding a new job would be a big weight off.

It sounds stupid but throughout my adult life I have always felt kind of destined to come face to face with mental illness. Part of me thinks I am second guessing myself here, but then part of me thinks I could go and speak to a psychiatrist and they would tell me I am a total mess and they dont know how I function. Like coping has become my thing, and I physically dont have the capacity to say enough is enough.

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The stuff with my work will be over soon. But once its done, its likely to present me with a new problem of having to find another job, or work the new regime I have fought like f**k against which I cant stomach. Maybe finding a new job would be a big weight off.

It sounds stupid but throughout my adult life I have always felt kind of destined to come face to face with mental illness. Part of me thinks I am second guessing myself here, but then part of me thinks I could go and speak to a psychiatrist and they would tell me I am a total mess and they dont know how I function. Like coping has become my thing, and I physically dont have the capacity to say enough is enough.

Making a change is often necessary for mental wellbeing. There's no point doing something, no matter the reward, if it's making your seriously unhappy and fucking with your life.

Maybe everyone is destined to experience mental illness at some point in their adult, to one degree or another. In fact it's probably likely. For some it will be a short term thing and others a much longer one. Some will cope well some won't. So it's doesn't sound stupid. There's a greater awareness of these issues now, which is good, but also can make people more anxious about experiencing them themselves.

It might be an idea to speak to someone. In fact I'd say you should. I doubt they'd say either of the two things you said, but then I'm not a psychiatrist or counsellor. It would probably help to talk just to air your feelings and see how someone else views them. Just vocalising them can make a difference. For some reason it's different than mulling them over in your mind. You react yourself to hearing them out loud and you can explore with someone how they sound and how they make you feel.

Edited by DA Baracus

23 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
27 minutes ago, Rowan said:

Aye. Iv often said that to the wife when she spoke to me about stuff. That she needs to give some credit to the trials and tribulations we have faced recently including one absolute b*****d of a year there past emotionally. But I am starting to wonder if I have never dealt with stuff that happened, and now I am under quite a serious weight of responsibility at my work (not job related, but as a shop steward trying to do the best I can for the people I stand for). I have never felt burden likw this in my life though and I worry I am going to unravel.

Maybe the shop steward stuff is the thing that keeps you going. And your fellow employees  and  maybe even your bosses would rather have you there than some other c**t.

Maybe the shop steward stuff is the thing that keeps you going. And your fellow employees  and  maybe even your bosses would rather have you there than some other c**t.
Oh they would. I know they would. And being a steward IMO is an honour and a privelege. I will always be proud that I did it. What I am fighting for now on behalf of the lads isnt something that I myself want to be a part of if that makes sense. But I am under no illusions about the pressure it has put me under in the last 3 or 4 months. Its been fucking murder and I am limping across the finish line with it.

The two aren’t mutually exclusive mate. I’ve read through and it sounds probably stress related from both a testing year and the responsibility at work. Try talking to folk, be it your family, close friends, mental health professionals or if you don’t fancy any of that you can drop me and presumably many others on here a pm

Thanks!
Always helps to have somewhere to vent, and MM is a fine chill, he posts what he posts and I appreciate it
Thankfully didn’t try to drink myself through this, just let it take its course.
I can live with depression, kinda had to learn to, for me the obvious signs are just a lack of care for myself, basic things like eating, reading, following stuff like the golf/TDF on tv.
Thankfully I spotted it this time, so onward, upward, get it up ye if you support either cheek and onto the next challenge

Thanks!
Always helps to have somewhere to vent, and MM is a fine chill, he posts what he posts and I appreciate it
Thankfully didn’t try to drink myself through this, just let it take its course.
I can live with depression, kinda had to learn to, for me the obvious signs are just a lack of care for myself, basic things like eating, reading, following stuff like the golf/TDF on tv.
Thankfully I spotted it this time, so onward, upward, get it up ye if you support either cheek and onto the next challenge

That’s the spirit Raider. It’s not easy, but by f**k you’re a strong c**t if you get through it. Never forget there’s always a person to speak to. It may feel like you’re lost and alone, but it’s never the case, it’s the illness speaking. Much love.

Whatever.

Well the GP likely asked jamaldo what his symptoms were and it sounded more like he was fed up than being a genuine depression sufferer. Probably not that much of a scandal tbf.