Depression

2 hours ago, capybara said:

1st anniversary of my dad's death. A tough day ahead.

I've found that not making anniversaries of passing/birthdays of a lost loved one a 'thing'.

Just remember them each day in your thoughts.

Helps me immensely.

I have coped ok. I have just played the Brahms 1st at full volume. He loved that symphony. And although I am an old rocker. I love a lot of classical music.

Went to the dr for the first time about stuff at the end of March, some mixture of anxiety/depression but not sure exactly what. Was prescribed sertraline as something to initially try. First few days were a bit grim, not much sleep but slowly started noticing little things. Not obsessing as much over stuff and actually joining a gym, something I’d said I’d do for years but been too nervous or just not had the drive to get round to.

Had been back and got another prescription amongst this and told to catch up with a phone appointment in a few weeks. Called to set it up almost two weeks ago and was told dr was on holiday for a couple of days but would get back to me, no problem. Never heard anything after a week so called again and was told the same. It’s been a week again and still nothing.

Busted my knee at fives over the weekend so now I’m basically housebound and feeling pretty hopeless. Don’t know if it’s just that or the fact the meds will be wearing off too. Just feels like whenever anything starts to look up there’s inevitably something shit waiting just around the corner.

Went to the dr for the first time about stuff at the end of March, some mixture of anxiety/depression but not sure exactly what. Was prescribed sertraline as something to initially try. First few days were a bit grim, not much sleep but slowly started noticing little things. Not obsessing as much over stuff and actually joining a gym, something I’d said I’d do for years but been too nervous or just not had the drive to get round to.
Had been back and got another prescription amongst this and told to catch up with a phone appointment in a few weeks. Called to set it up almost two weeks ago and was told dr was on holiday for a couple of days but would get back to me, no problem. Never heard anything after a week so called again and was told the same. It’s been a week again and still nothing.
Busted my knee at fives over the weekend so now I’m basically housebound and feeling pretty hopeless. Don’t know if it’s just that or the fact the meds will be wearing off too. Just feels like whenever anything starts to look up there’s inevitably something shit waiting just around the corner.
I'm on Sertraline 150mg it works for me but it does take time to kick in and in really tough times I do not think anything really works 100 per cent. Today is the 1st anniversary of my dad's funeral. I know that will be on my mind all day.

Keep at the sertaline, it took me around 6 weeks to feel the effects but I was he same with sleepless nights and feeling terrible.

Depression comes from feeling inadequate when comparing yourself to others. The only way around this is realizing the truth. The only person you have to keep bettering in life is yourself. The only person you have to prove anything to is yourself. The only opinions that matter about you are your own.
Your feelings are in your own head. The only person who can change the way you feel is yourself, nobody else can do it for you. You can either be your own best friend or your own worst enemy, there is no inbetween.

10 hours ago, ViktorVic said:

Currently admitting to myself that I'm not just feeling down.  I used to believe that depression was fake. Very stupid.

I remember scoffing when first hearing about certain football players being depressed. 

What a stupid bollock brain I was.

On 04/06/2018 at 11:50, BawWatchin said:

Depression comes from feeling inadequate when comparing yourself to others. The only way around this is realizing the truth. The only person you have to keep bettering in life is yourself. The only person you have to prove anything to is yourself. The only opinions that matter about you are your own.
Your feelings are in your own head. The only person who can change the way you feel is yourself, nobody else can do it for you. You can either be your own best friend or your own worst enemy, there is no inbetween.

This has been my motto for the last six months. I was bullied by an arsehole ex boss and carried it with me into a new job thinking everyone has some sort of agenda. I kept finding things that felt like bullying and it turned me from a fitness fanatic into a depressed angry arse feeling sorry for myself. It took a funeral for me to have a moment and basically just said f**k it I really couldn't care less what people think and looked at why certain people were dicks. I feel so much more positive and I can't say I've even thought about worries from work or elsewhere for about four months. Had a few pints socially now and again and really feel so much better about everything.

I really can't recommend exercise and outdoor activities enough. Whatever is your stressor try to exercise or get outside instead of sitting about worrying about it. Best of all it costs nothing. 

23 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

This has been my motto for the last six months. I was bullied by an arsehole ex boss and carried it with me into a new job thinking everyone has some sort of agenda. I kept finding things that felt like bullying and it turned me from a fitness fanatic into a depressed angry arse feeling sorry for myself. It took a funeral for me to have a moment and basically just said f**k it I really couldn't care less what people think and looked at why certain people were dicks. I feel so much more positive and I can't say I've even thought about worries from work or elsewhere for about four months. Had a few pints socially now and again and really feel so much better about everything.

I really can't recommend exercise and outdoor activities enough. Whatever is your stressor try to exercise or get outside instead of sitting about worrying about it. Best of all it costs nothing. 

Exercise/working out is a great way to feel good about yourself, because it helps to reinforce the belief that you're someone who matters. Not only does it get you in better shape, it changes you from a complete cant, to somebody who can. Not just in terms of exercise, but in all areas of your life.

Back to the doctor for me this evening. My depression has progressed into anxiety attacks over the past few months with my Dad's death seeming to be the obvious trigger. Getting a new anti-depressant so will see how that works.

Due to a couple of triggers just spent a few days in a hospital for “serious clinical depression”.
Basically gave up even trying to look after myself for a few days, but I spotted the pattern/signs and got someone to drive me to the hospital so I could voluntarily admit myself for treatment.
Doing a lot better in the week since I was discharged thankfully.

5 hours ago, Raidernation said:

Due to a couple of triggers just spent a few days in a hospital for “serious clinical depression”.
Basically gave up even trying to look after myself for a few days, but I spotted the pattern/signs and got someone to drive me to the hospital so I could voluntarily admit myself for treatment.
Doing a lot better in the week since I was discharged thankfully.

That's brilliant, if everyone struggling with mental illnesses or abstaining from an addiction could just do that step there would be far less havoc being wreaked in so many peoples lives every day.

That's brilliant, if everyone struggling with mental illnesses or abstaining from an addiction could just do that step there would be far less havoc being wreaked in so many peoples lives every day.

I keep being told how brave/honest/open I have been. Didn’t feel like it at the time.

1 hour ago, Raidernation said:

I keep being told how brave/honest/open I have been. Didn’t feel like it at the time.

I've never liked people using the brave word for situations like that, just a personal thing, it implies that it's something hard to do, I prefer to look at it as being the correct/normal/sensible thing to do, the sort of thing you expect people to do, I even prefer to look at it as being selfish rather than brave if I was looking at myself in those sort of situations, getting well and staying well requires a lot of selfishness in a positive way.

On 09/05/2018 at 19:54, The Holiday Song said:

This is very anecdotal, but the biggest (only?) thing that has helped with my anxiety (leading into depression) was totally giving up caffeine. I was diagnosed over ten years ago, got given CBT, still take citalopram etc. but gave up caffeine last summer and never been better. If you have anxiety you know how a small bad thought can just snowball out of proportion - but that doesn’t seem to happen now.

Not saying that is a fix for everyone but had tried more exercise, cutting out booze and that made f’ck all difference. Caffeine isn’t mentioned all that much. Wasn’t even having that much either although coming off it was pretty hard, sore heads and being an angry b’stard for about a week!

I used to drink ALOT of coffee and energy drinks (upwards of five a day) because I felt that I could not function without them, and I used to have crippling anxiety, depression and the occasional irrational burst of anger. I stopped drinking the energy drinks about two or three years ago and only have a coffee in the morning or if I need a quick pick-me-up if I'm tired at work (no more than two coffees a day and seldom any after noon). 

But yeah, I think people underestimate how much things like caffeine dependency affect you. Coffee, tea, fizzy drinks, energy drinks etc are so ingrained into our daily routines that we almost think nothing of them. Reducing my caffeine intake definitely made me more "stable". As you say, withdrawal symptoms were an absolute b*****d.

10 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I used to drink ALOT of coffee and energy drinks (upwards of five a day) because I felt that I could not function without them, and I used to have crippling anxiety, depression and the occasional irrational burst of anger. I stopped drinking the energy drinks about two or three years ago and only have a coffee in the morning or if I need a quick pick-me-up if I'm tired at work (no more than two coffees a day and seldom any after noon). 

But yeah, I think people underestimate how much things like caffeine dependency affect you. Coffee, tea, fizzy drinks, energy drinks etc are so ingrained into our daily routines that we almost think nothing of them. Reducing my caffeine intake definitely made me more "stable". As you say, withdrawal symptoms were an absolute b*****d.

ffs, I'll need to find a better word to describe my 20+ strong coffees a day, used to take 2 heaps, cut it down to 1 heap a long while a go but I'm finding myself using a dessert spoon for 5 or 6 of my 20+( too lazy to wash teaspoons as I go), my body's so accustomed to caffeine that I can drink a strong cup then go straight to sleep.

Edited by ayrmad