Depression

<BR>I suffer from it, and it differs wildly. Sometimes I'm a terrible way for a bit, then I can wake up and feel fucking great. Sometimes it can change in a hour, then change back. It's pish. I made my mum cry the other night as I was having a bad episode and she was worried, and it made me feel fucking terrible, like utterly awful, and a total c**t for making her so upset. The next day I was fine, and have resolved to never make her upset again by it. It's also cost me quite a bit, but I think I can see a way out. That sounds dark, but I mean I have actually been better recently with fewer episodes and can see myself getting better and have a plan to do so.<BR>

Yeh you often lash out at the one's trying to help you. My mum was asking me a couple of months ago how I was doing, what I was up to etc. She didn't know that I was having a wee bad spell either and I eventually just responding by asking her why she was questioning me, just to get to the point or leave me alone. I regretted it of course and she was cool with it. Its hard for those around you to undertstand I think. I speak to my girlfriend and she tries to help but there is really nothing you can do - as 9 times out of 10 you don't have any idea why you feel the way you do. I used to think depression was a carry on - an excuse to get time off work. One event seemed to spark it in me and now I have a real understanding of how it affects others. It is frightening to be honest.

Suffered with it big style from my late teens and into my early twenties now.

Very nearly killed me a couple of years ago.

Brutal.

Depending on how serious it is and you can tell yourself, the GP is the first point of contact. Those resources are good for mild depression but if it's your's medical treatment is vital

My dad suffers from it, and while its easy for me to say I don't have to put it with it because I don't live with him anymore, it's not that simple. I speak to him (and my mum) at least twice a week. I was really worried about him when my mum had cancer, but I sat him down and spoke to him and explained that If he went off the rails it wouldn't help matters and we all had to be strong.

It is a pity you can't see the red dots. Your post earlier was a bit idiotic, in fact you come across as a total c**t. Hope you can read this

To be fair, with it being a quote there is an element of relevance and context to it. It's the comment it might appear to be.

Had really bad spells of this over 20 years ago on and off for about 3 years. If all you see is gloom and darkness ahead just hang on and eventually there will be a light at the end of the tunnel.

Edited by ditots

Having a friend with depression rocks, visiting them in hospital where they get half hourly visual checks then the self harming stories, suicidal thoughts and the stories of horrible things from their past that can be nothing but contributing factors. Thinking that people are worrying about them upsets them and affects their mental health so you have to keep your shit together.

Worst of all you can't bring them chicken soup and it'll be all better or give them a stick to scratch inside their cast.

This may sound self indulgent but it just shows how it affects so many people as well as the one with the issues.

I've been diagnosed with depression for about seven years and from what I now know of the illness I have had it much longer than that. During that time, while on one type of medication or another and one type of therapy or another, I put anyone who ever cared about me through all kinds of shit. It all came to a head about three years ago when the arse almost fell out of my world. Over these past three years I have managed to come off the medication and start to take some control of my life. I felt that the tablets were making me so numb to what was actually happening around me that, against my doctors advice but with my familys encouragement, I started to wean myself off them. I'm not saying that taking medication for depression doesn't work but I am saying to concentrate on the longer term effect they are having on you. The best piece of advice I got was from a dragon of a therapist who said that I should start taking responsibility for my own actions. I'm not "cured" of depression but the bad times aren't so black and the good times aren't so full of sunshine anymore. I still find it difficult to talk about things but if anyone fancies a blether through PMing, feel free.

Depression is a c**t of a thing that millions of people have to deal with - better to talk about it, rather than sweeping it under the carpet, don't you think?

The longer every individual lives in this world the more likely they are to experience periods of depression during their lives. Grief brought upon by financial troubles, broken relationships, terminal illnesses of person or friends/family members and deaths being the number one causes. The longer you live the more "Shit Happens". Only the strongest of hearts and minds survive in this hell without, at the very least, periods of 'mild' depression.

The longer every individual lives in this world the more likely they are to experience periods of depression during their lives. Grief brought upon by financial troubles, broken relationships, terminal illnesses of person or friends/family members and deaths being the number one causes. The longer you live the more "Shit Happens". Only the strongest of hearts and minds survive in this hell without, at the very least, periods of 'mild' depression.

Hit nail and head.

My Mrs had a severe case of Post Natal Depression and was on the verge of being sectioned as a result. She is pregnant again and to be honest Im pretty worried about how this will work out.

I have had bouts of it from time to time and I think Im going through this right now too. I have this tendency of pressing the self destruct button as a result and already told my boss that Im leaving; even told the guy offering me a job to f**k off as well. Looking forward to Monday am.

That's what I'm talking about though.

There are things that make lots of people 'depressed'. I think that's different from having depression though. I think having depression is something that exists outside of depressive episodes in your life. Certainly these kinds of episodes can compound depression, or make them more difficult to deal with, but I would draw a distinction between extremely saddening, or even traumatic life experiences, and what is really chemical ill health.

I've been diagnosed with it. Its been 8 months diagnosed but god knows how long I've actually had periods of it. I've been on Sertraline 50 mg daily. I'm now starting to ween myself of by taking one every two days or maybe 4 a week. I just don't care about sfuff that's important. Family etc. The straw that done it for me was 8 months off work in a lot of pain with a slipped disc in my neck. I'm self employed so that also added to my stress levels. I honestly don't know if its doing anything anymore? I really am looking to come off it. I'm like an emotional fucking zombie. At least I'm starting to see that though so onwards as and upwards.

i have suffered depression on and of for the past 7 years.

I would say that my depression stems from a lack of security in my job coupled with

seeing older relatives becoming incapacitated and having to find a way to look after them.

I find that periods of job security will help with depression and I can cope with the other stresses.

When I am down I find that if I think of good times I can feel better.

I think that there is no recipe to get yourself out of depression but that you have to

keep trying different methods to pull yourself out of it.

I am 57 years old and until I was 50 I had no idea what depression was all about.

Depression is a very debilitating illness and I find it very sad that people as young

as 17 can be struck down with it.

For anyone out there who wishes to speak to someone who has been there please get in touch.

I know how you feel.

That's what I'm talking about though.

There are things that make lots of people 'depressed'. I think that's different from having depression though. I think having depression is something that exists outside of depressive episodes in your life. Certainly these kinds of episodes can compound depression, or make them more difficult to deal with, but I would draw a distinction between extremely saddening, or even traumatic life experiences, and what is really chemical ill health.

I agree, some people are more prone to bouts of depression. Many young adults suffer from episodes of depression due to social stresses, peer pressures, exams, broken puppy love, living environment, neglection, rejection, instability, abuses, etc. Hence my reason for posting my belief that only the strongest of hearts and minds survive in this hell without, at the very least, periods of 'mild' depression.

I am currently signed off work with severe depression, and have suffered from it for a number of years but things came to a head about a month ago when I decided that I was going to end my own life. I'm still not sure whether I'm lucky or unlucky to have been found before I could do it.

It's easy for people who have never experienced depression to belittle it as something you can just "snap out" of, but when you no longer enjoy or see any value in anything that is not possible and nothing positive makes sense to you.