Depression

I've been feeling really down for on and off periods for a while now. In my mind it's nothing compared to things a lot of other people have to go through, but I can't deny it often has an effect on my day-to-day life.

I can't really pinpoint any exact issue but I can be very lethargic and find certain social situations stressful. I drink too much, have put on about 2 stone in weight in the past couple of years and I'm in a much poorer financial state from squandering money on booze and the bookies.

I had a pretty bad night last night and have phoned in sick for work today. Thankfully they've been quite understanding so far. Going to try and spend today taking little actions to try and address some of the lesser issues on my mind, will hopefully also be able to relax & get some fresh air. Definitely going to try to lay off the drink and exercise more as although it's no magic fix, I usually feel better after a few days of living healthily.

Reading some of the posts in here has helped to realise I'm far from being the only one that suffers from depression and all the associated problems. Hope that you all will have some good times coming up soon!

I can only echo what some have said previously

I felt absolutely awful for about a month just there and no idea what was wrong, very unhappy with college work as i failed something that i should have passed easily and ended up on a downward spiral and just very unhappy about everything, drinking too much eating shit and putting on weight

Nothing has actually changed at all, just seemed to be a bad phase and now i feel fine

I still suffer from anxiety though which i think may have been brought on by excessive indulging in my late teens and early 20's, I sometimes tremble uncontrollably like a shivering puppy at the slightest of things its pretty embarrassing in all honesty but is more of a physical reaction rather than anything going on in my head. I take beta blockers but the doctor never prescribes a hole lot of them and i keep needing to go back and i ask for a bigger dosage but they never give out

Feeling completely fucking back stabbed right now. While ive been dealing with my problems ive also been giving support to a friend who is going through her own problems, she has been offering to listen to me and offer support also. Well since Saturday this person has been choosing to ignore me on purpose, ive just found out that her reason for that is her choice to remove everything "Negative" from her life and chose to only focus on positive things. Also neglected to tell me any of this and left me to my own devices. Well naturally as you can imagine i was rather hurt by this seeing as i have supported her through everything she has gone through lately. Which she threw back at me claiming i was casting up all the help ive given her and that she should have never bothered asking me for help if i was gonna be like this.

I just feel fucking sick, i feel like ive been nothing but used and now she has no further use for me she is discarding me. I think she realized she was being a asshole tho, but the damage was done. She tried to talk to me afterward but i wasnt having any of it. She has really shown me a side of herself i didnt think she had and i wont let myself be used by anyone that fucking selfish again. I actually feel sick

Feeling completely fucking back stabbed right now. While ive been dealing with my problems ive also been giving support to a friend who is going through her own problems, she has been offering to listen to me and offer support also. Well since Saturday this person has been choosing to ignore me on purpose, ive just found out that her reason for that is her choice to remove everything "Negative" from her life and chose to only focus on positive things. Also neglected to tell me any of this and left me to my own devices. Well naturally as you can imagine i was rather hurt by this seeing as i have supported her through everything she has gone through lately. Which she threw back at me claiming i was casting up all the help ive given her and that she should have never bothered asking me for help if i was gonna be like this.

I just feel fucking sick, i feel like ive been nothing but used and now she has no further use for me she is discarding me. I think she realized she was being a asshole tho, but the damage was done. She tried to talk to me afterward but i wasnt having any of it. She has really shown me a side of herself i didnt think she had and i wont let myself be used by anyone that fucking selfish again. I actually feel sick

I'd say you're probably better off without someone like her in your life.

Take a leaf out of her book, though - remove her negative influence out of your life - just let her go, and try to move on asap - the sooner she's out of your mind, the better - make room for folk that are actually worth it.

Edited by paranoid android

Ed, it sounds like you had a co-dependent relationship with this girl. These kind of friendships are so hard to maintain for multiple reasons and because of that it can be difficult to make them work, as you're now discovering to your cost. When one starts to feel better, it can be difficult for them to know how to relate to the other person when the friendship was based on a need, rather than want, for mutual support. I do understand her position but I'd agree she could have at least had the decency to discuss it with you first - you're unwell, not a bloody child!

I agree with PA. Take her actions as an example. Put your efforts into helping yourself rather than concern yourself with others' problems. If you don't mind me saying so, you don't seem to me as though you're in a position to carry the burden just now. If you are interested in sharing with others in a similar position to yourself, have you considered group therapy?

I felt absolutely awful for about a month just there and no idea what was wrong, very unhappy with college work as i failed something that i should have passed easily and ended up on a downward spiral and just very unhappy about everything, drinking too much eating shit and putting on weight

Nothing has actually changed at all, just seemed to be a bad phase and now i feel fine

I still suffer from anxiety though which i think may have been brought on by excessive indulging in my late teens and early 20's, I sometimes tremble uncontrollably like a shivering puppy at the slightest of things its pretty embarrassing in all honesty but is more of a physical reaction rather than anything going on in my head. I take beta blockers but the doctor never prescribes a hole lot of them and i keep needing to go back and i ask for a bigger dosage but they never give out

That's pretty much how I've been feeling, fine quite often but long spells where I'm really low with my diet going to hell at the same time. I'm on beta blockers too but I'm not certain how much use they are.

That's pretty much how I've been feeling, fine quite often but long spells where I'm really low with my diet going to hell at the same time. I'm on beta blockers too but I'm not certain how much use they are.

They definitely make a difference for me when I'm stressed out, is as though they make your mind focus on more relaxing things and you forget about your troubles. You can get different prescriptions if you don't think the ones you are on are doing the trick but i think the propranol I'm on are fine just wish they would give me more at once as its a hassle going to doctors!

Ive been feeling far more positive of late but it is a concern how quickly i can fall into a downward spiral when something goes wrong and i don't do anything to help myself when it does

My cousin passed away on Friday night. He was 36, a little over four years older than me.

He had battled alcohol and drugs his entire life, and had a heart attack last Tuesday which put him in a coma. His life support machine was switched off on Friday evening, I was there with my family.

I feel so incredibly guilty. We were close growing up but didn't see as much of each other past our late teens. He stayed just half an hour away from me and I hadn't seen him since Christmas 2012.

I miss him terribly, and I keep asking myself 'what ifs'. Survivor's guilt, I suppose.

I have very little experience in dealing with grief - I'm 31 and still have all four grandparents - and I feel so lost.

To make things worse, today I found out that due to staffing levels across the county I'm being moved job locations. I know it could be a lot worse, but I'm settled and love my job and colleagues. Just feel like I'll be starting all over again.

Any advice appreciated, guys.

First off, we are all 19 years old.

My girlfriend's best friend tried to take an overdose on Sunday night, it was her first hospital admission of that sort but she's seemingly had severe depression for years. She's worried that her friend will now be more discreet with her next attempt at suicide so that it takes longer to get her to help and it will be too late. She needs sectioned but the Nhs it seems have let her decide to walk out the door. I was having a bit of a meltdown the night it happened as well, it grew yesterday when I found out and realised that I wasn't helping the situation, obviously that just made us both feel worse. I'm starting to come back up but my girlfriend is just being burdened with all sorts; her best pal is suicidal, her dad is going off the rails, she has tonsillitis and is off placement at the moment... I'm concerned for her most of all, I don't even think I am call myself a depression sufferer because I last a week tops and realise I'm being daft and move on. Carla has a history too of depression and went through a really bad patch after she left school last year. I'm trying to be as supportive as I can be but she has too much on her plate so I'm helpless it seems. I know that at my age we all think that spouse troubles are the be all and end all but I'm worried that I may lose a few people in my life to these demons

Was feeling down this evening. I have just told one of my closet friends how i really feel about everything. It took me about an hour to send her a message but i'm happy i've got everything out of my system i've always wanted to say but not had the bottle to do so.

For some reason, I can't shake the feeling that I've done everything I can, everything I needed to do for the people that needed me, that I no longer have a purpose.

Don't worry, I'm not about to go kill myself, but I just feel that everyone no longer "needs" me.

Not sure how to feel about this.

First off, we are all 19 years old.

My girlfriend's best friend tried to take an overdose on Sunday night, it was her first hospital admission of that sort but she's seemingly had severe depression for years. She's worried that her friend will now be more discreet with her next attempt at suicide so that it takes longer to get her to help and it will be too late. She needs sectioned but the Nhs it seems have let her decide to walk out the door. I was having a bit of a meltdown the night it happened as well, it grew yesterday when I found out and realised that I wasn't helping the situation, obviously that just made us both feel worse. I'm starting to come back up but my girlfriend is just being burdened with all sorts; her best pal is suicidal, her dad is going off the rails, she has tonsillitis and is off placement at the moment... I'm concerned for her most of all, I don't even think I am call myself a depression sufferer because I last a week tops and realise I'm being daft and move on. Carla has a history too of depression and went through a really bad patch after she left school last year. I'm trying to be as supportive as I can be but she has too much on her plate so I'm helpless it seems. I know that at my age we all think that spouse troubles are the be all and end all but I'm worried that I may lose a few people in my life to these demons

Mental health services on the NHS are an absolute joke in this country. It took the best part of about 6 years and two suicide attempts for my girlfriend and the same amount of time and more attempts by a good friend of mine for them both to get psychologists, counselling and the full attention of doctors. It's a sad state of affairs that you either have to pay or repeatedly do yourself in to get the help you need. I'm lucky that I'll never get to that stage but even then it's frustrating to see many people and are just let go without anything really being done to help.

I've found if you feel helpless in trying to find a solution you can sometimes do loads by just being there for them and listening to them. Sounds really obvious and too easy but it is a big help.

Edited by NotThePars

Sadly mental health services are shit. I pay an arm and a leg to access a private psychologist but it's that or waiting lists and ineffectual treatment.

Gaz, give yourself time, Greif takes time and manifests differently in everyone.

I'm finding it hard to keep staying motivated at uni. I'm in my last year, but feeling incredibly tired when i try get into the reading. I don't want to push it on my friends here they're all in the same boat with work load but I'm struggling.

I battled depression a bit a few years ago and sometimes have symptoms of S.A.D. But i know i shouldn't let this stop me from these last few months.

I'm finding it hard to keep staying motivated at uni. I'm in my last year, but feeling incredibly tired when i try get into the reading. I don't want to push it on my friends here they're all in the same boat with work load but I'm struggling.

I battled depression a bit a few years ago and sometimes have symptoms of S.A.D. But i know i shouldn't let this stop me from these last few months.

Knowing, from experience, the support systems in place at Aberdeen, and knowing in general how most universities operate with these things, get yourself to your tutor/supervisor. They might be able to help with study tips and general tips for helping, as they will have experienced it before. If required they can get you extensions etc. Also I would make an appointment to speak to the counselling service. I did and it was a great help. Even if you have just one or two sessions, they will help. Don't put it off; get it sorted ASAP or I'll come up and give that long awaited and long promised hiding. Get in contact with Academic Skills as well. They'll give you some tips and advice as well, and if you see your tutor they might refer you there anyway.

Do it. Dick.

^ Being a student sucks the life out of you, i am off 2 days a week and i can't be bothered doing anything ever apart from post on here and watch stuff online! Its hard to go from working full time to being a student especially and i never experienced this before when i was working because my mind was focused on that every day and i enjoyed my time off now i have far too much time off and my mind worries abut all sorts of things because too much time off is a burden. The devil makes work of idle hands alright!!

For some reason, I can't shake the feeling that I've done everything I can, everything I needed to do for the people that needed me, that I no longer have a purpose.

Don't worry, I'm not about to go kill myself, but I just feel that everyone no longer "needs" me.

Not sure how to feel about this.

While they still love you, you have a purpose. Your step-daughters and grandchildren, I'm sure, still need you in their lives.

I've not been feeling great since I last posted. I'm generally a selfish person, I've been kind of seeing this woman behind my girlfriends back but she's basically binned me and I'm feeling fucking shit about it. I can't speak to anyone about it, I don't deserve to get sympathy for it. I've had family members telling me howmuch they care for me and love and my girlfriend wanting to support me but I don't deserve any of it.

I don't think I'll try to do hurt myself again but the other day I was seriously thinking about just leaving my current life, not telling anyone where I am and starting afresh in a new city or country. has anyone done this, is it easy?

I've not been feeling great since I last posted. I'm generally a selfish person, I've been kind of seeing this woman behind my girlfriends back but she's basically binned me and I'm feeling fucking shit about it. I can't speak to anyone about it, I don't deserve to get sympathy for it. I've had family members telling me howmuch they care for me and love and my girlfriend wanting to support me but I don't deserve any of it.

I don't think I'll try to do hurt myself again but the other day I was seriously thinking about just leaving my current life, not telling anyone where I am and starting afresh in a new city or country. has anyone done this, is it easy?

I attempted this (only my mates knew I was going) last year and lasted one month before coming back with my tail between my legs. Poor planning and blasting all my cash on drink, strippers and drugs saw to that. I was deadly serious about it and it wasn't until I was on the plane that it I asked myself what the f**k I was doing.

Had I did the sort of planning I'm looking into right now, I think I would have been fine. If I waited a year I wouldn't be in Scotland right now, but I also dread to think what else I would have done but that's another story.