Depression

^^ Spoke too soon. Past couple of weeks have been absolutely torrid. I've sorted a job interview for Tuesday though. However, I can't help but have that niggling feeling that maybe I'm not ready - everyone keeps telling me to take my time (I just can't lie about doing nothing, I've done it for far too long!).

Best of luck for your interview. Try to be positive if you can and do your research.

Agree about alchohol. Slowly starting to loose all interest in drinking. Dont really see anything positive about it. I get pissed from six or seven pints these days and feel it for about two days afterwards. Also like to eat lots of rubbish the next day to compensate and feel down about myself. Scratching my head when I see people going out drinking three days in a row as if they couldn't think of anything better to do at the weekend. Each to their own but its not for me, body and head cant handle it.

Best of luck for your interview. Try to be positive if you can and do your research.

Cheers.. I feel like a phoney because it's with a company whom I'd already done a placement with, so I lucked out big time Co-incedentally it was during my placement year with them when my mental illness symptoms truly came to the fore.

Anyways, apologies for the waffle and thanks again.

Edited by JogaBonito

I feel like a phoney because it's with a company whom I'd already done a placement with

That can only work in your favour in your interview imo. Best of luck too.

I had my first interview in a decade last week and looking up all the online tips made me find it scarier than it should have been. It wasn't. Don't forget that they've invited you in for one because they obviously have a positive interest in you. I focussed too much on 'don't f*** this up' imo.

I'd avoid watching Trainspotting mind.

Edited by Hedgecutter

And always remember an interview is 2 way. You have to sell yourself to them, aye, but they have to sell themselves and the organization to you!

Don't be afraid to ask about anything you're unsure/unhappy about!

And always remember an interview is 2 way. You have to sell yourself to them, aye, but they have to sell themselves and the organization to you!

I've somehow managed to talk my way into a third interview as part of a two interview process. Looks like I'm the one going into their offices to have a look around to see if it suits me!

Without going into the detail which I really should have mentioned here from March onwards, hopefully I get this and stop a horrible downwards spiral.

Edited by Hedgecutter

It has been a long time since I have felt like harming myself or taking my own life, and I have come from such a dark place in the past (almost) two years. The 12th of November 2012 is a day etched in my memory forever. It was the day I fully intended to end my own life, and would have certainly done so if it wasn't for the intervention of a complete stranger (I wish I could find her and thank her for stopping me). That day turned out to be a turning point for me.

For anyone considering hurting themselves or taking their own life, don't do it. I know it sounds like something people just say, but if you seek help then that can be the beginning of the process of getting better. I never realised how many people genuinely cared about me until I hurt them all by attempting suicide, don't make the same mistake I did.

I know that there is no one-size-fits-all treatment for depression, but for me Cognitive Behavioural Therapy was a real revelation. It helped me to change my negative thought patterns so that I no longer got upset or angry about the things that did previously. These things were all either things I can do nothing about or things that were nothing to do with me.

If anyone (regardless of who you are) ever wishes to talk, feel free to send me a PM.

That can only work in your favour in your interview imo. Best of luck too.

I appreciate the words, I really do.

I just can't help feel pathetic about the lack of extra-curricular activities in my CV. Plus I've got quite a big chunk of time missed due to health problems. Overall, I'm not sure how much to reveal, because there really is still a stigma as much as people want to say otherwise. Kinda like how some doctors stigmatise over-weight patients, and people who unconsciously attribute negative words with blacks - it's one of those quirks with human nature.

Hedgecutter: I wish you luck with the job-hunt too.

Regardinf extra cirricular stuff on your CV; lie. I haven't yet come across an employer who checks them out, and you could always get a friend to be a reference if needed.

As for gaps between jobs, say you were travelling.

I recently started a new job (my 30th I think; I've left countless jobs due to being unhappy due to mental illness but then just end up in another job I'm unhappy in). I feel I might have jumped in too quickly and have felt at times that I'm not ready. I've only done 3 weeks but I very nearly quit in my first week due to feeling a bit gash. I often feel like a bit of a fraud at work and feel that I'll be 'found out'. Other times I feel fine and sometimes I fluctuate wildly between extremes emotionally, which is pish. I fear being stuck in a job that's 9-5 and in an office doing stuff I have zero interest in and no passion for. That's what I'm doing now actually, and it can be quite boring. I knew it wouldn't be long term thing, but feel trapped a lot of the time as I struggle to see what else I could do to earn money. I just don't want to waste my life doing a job I don't like and dread getting up for, but can't see a way out and this just perpetuates a cycle of depression with associated problems.

Regardinf extra cirricular stuff on your CV; lie. I haven't yet come across an employer who checks them out, and you could always get a friend to be a reference if needed.

As for gaps between jobs, say you were travelling.

I recently started a new job (my 30th I think; I've left countless jobs due to being unhappy due to mental illness but then just end up in another job I'm unhappy in). I feel I might have jumped in too quickly and have felt at times that I'm not ready. I've only done 3 weeks but I very nearly quit in my first week due to feeling a bit gash. I often feel like a bit of a fraud at work and feel that I'll be 'found out'. Other times I feel fine and sometimes I fluctuate wildly between extremes emotionally, which is pish. I fear being stuck in a job that's 9-5 and in an office doing stuff I have zero interest in and no passion for. That's what I'm doing now actually, and it can be quite boring. I knew it wouldn't be long term thing, but feel trapped a lot of the time as I struggle to see what else I could do to earn money. I just don't want to waste my life doing a job I don't like and dread getting up for, but can't see a way out and this just perpetuates a cycle of depression with associated problems.

Ian Curtis once said that he enjoyed working in a factor because he could daydream all day about the records and books that he could buy.

Maybe not the best example for this thread but whenever I've done menial, mind-numbing jobs that's what I do, just take the opportunity to lose myself.

Ian Curtis once said that he enjoyed working in a factor because he could daydream all day about the records and books that he could buy.

Maybe not the best example for this thread but whenever I've done menial, mind-numbing jobs that's what I do, just take the opportunity to lose myself.

Aye, Ian Curtis. That ended well. Edited by Sergeant Wilson

Got offered a transfer back up to Edinburgh on Friday, and accepted it.

Missing friends & family too much being stuck in the South East of England so for that it's the best option and tbh it's a great move career wise. It's a horrible thing to say but from a purely selfish POV, I'm glad what happened to P4U did as its opened up so many more doors for me.

Now onto the shite bit, I'm going to have to leave my girlfriend down here for what is going to be a period time that neither of us know the duration. She has to stay at her current job until June but in all honesty I think things between us are just going to die away because it'll be too hard to maintain the type of relationship we have when we're 400 miles away.

And it's going to kill me (not literally) to be apart from her and I've no idea how I'll cope :(

Missing friends & family too much being stuck in the South East of England so for that it's the best option and tbh it's a great move career wise. It's a horrible thing to say but from a purely selfish POV, I'm glad what happened to P4U did as its opened up so many more doors for me.

Now onto the shite bit, I'm going to have to leave my girlfriend down here for what is going to be a period time that neither of us know the duration. She has to stay at her current job until June but in all honesty I think things between us are just going to die away because it'll be too hard to maintain the type of relationship we have when we're 400 miles away.

And it's going to kill me (not literally) to be apart from her and I've no idea how I'll cope :(

If you're on reddit, they usually have a meet-up on a weekly basis (www,reddit.com/r/edinburgh.

Or you could try www.meetup.com - apparently really good if you're into niche little things.

General advice is try not to ruminate and keep yourself busy. Snapchat and all of that jazz every now and then :)

Where about in Edinburgh will you be working? I have a job interview in East Lothian tomorrow.

Best regards.

That's shite mate :(

I've said before anytime you want a chat. Feel free to pm me.

If you're on reddit, they usually have a meet-up on a weekly basis (www,reddit.com/r/edinburgh.

Or you could try www.meetup.com - apparently really good if you're into niche little things.

General advice is try not to ruminate and keep yourself busy. Snapchat and all of that jazz every now and then :)

Where about in Edinburgh will you be working? I have a job interview in East Lothian tomorrow.

Best regards.

Where about in East Lothian?