Depression

I would like to add to my above post.

I went to my doctor and was prescribed anti depressants.

The drugs just made me feel worse> I was a shaking nervous wreck.

However the chats that I had with my Doc made me feel a hellava lot better.

So for me it seems that speaking to someone who understands

what you are going through is the way forward.

It might not work for everyone but it worked for me.

I am currently signed off work with severe depression, and have suffered from it for a number of years but things came to a head about a month ago when I decided that I was going to end my own life. I'm still not sure whether I'm lucky or unlucky to have been found before I could do it.

It's easy for people who have never experienced depression to belittle it as something you can just "snap out" of, but when you no longer enjoy or see any value in anything that is not possible and nothing positive makes sense to you.

Your on the way back. I'm so glad that you have managed to pull yourself back from the brink.

I've been there .I know what its like.

Think of your family . Think of all your loved ones.

When i feel down I think of all the people who are so dear to me.

If i cant do it for myself can I do it for them.

You've turned the corner.

I will talk to anyone who has this debilitating illness . Feel free to PM me.

Edited by saint john

Met a mate who is a musician when working abroad in Kavos and he does alot of work for this charity

The Calm Zone

Also like to support anything about suicide in teenagers and young men. One of the UK's biggest killers and is a shame seeing people with so much to look forward to feeling that bad they end it all.

I would like to add to my above post.

I went to my doctor and was prescribed anti depressants.

The drugs just made me feel worse> I was a shaking nervous wreck.

However the chats that I had with my Doc made me feel a hellava lot better.

So for me it seems that speaking to someone who understands

what you are going through is the way forward.

It might not work for everyone but it worked for me.

Medication won't work for everybody - keep going back to your GP to find out how to control it. :)

Some powerful stuff on this thread. Kudos to all the people saying they've suffered, it's good to be open, especially in an environment like this. You never know, it might have done some good if someone who hadn't hitherto sought help was reading. I've never had to deal with it myself but seeing what it does to some people makes you realise how terrible it is.

Appreciate the sentiments.

It really needs to be taken a lot more seriously.

Folks posting on this forum can only help.

Edited by saint john

Is this not a Partridge quote? About himself? If so maybe the red-dots are misplaced, albeit perhaps the quote was slightly misjudged in this instance.

In my view there is a difference between depression and being depressed. I think being depressed is something that's more influenced by your experiences and your surroundings. A death in the family, unemployment, relationship breakdown etc. Unhappy events that lower your mood.

Depression, to me, is more of a chemical thing that is more difficult to control. You could be on top of the world, living your life as well as you could ever want to, but there is a chemical event that depresses you uncontrollably.

In my personal experience alcohol can be a real issue - either as a contributing factor to being depressed or exacerbating low mood.

It's not anything I've studied, or anything, just a view I've formed.

I am currently signed off work with severe depression, and have suffered from it for a number of years but things came to a head about a month ago when I decided that I was going to end my own life. I'm still not sure whether I'm lucky or unlucky to have been found before I could do it.

It's easy for people who have never experienced depression to belittle it as something you can just "snap out" of, but when you no longer enjoy or see any value in anything that is not possible and nothing positive makes sense to you.

You were lucky!

There is no question, and that is something you will definitely recognise in time. What drove you to whatever you tried to do was very much of the moment. I reckon that many of the people who have taken their own life wouldn't do so again, if they were given a further chance - one day, one week, one year etc further down the line. It always gets better. Life always becomes worth it eventually.

The feeling, urge, to take action is a symptom of an illness that over-powers people at certain points. It's never really what people want to do. It's never the right thing for anyone to do. It's just an illness fucking with your mind, and something you always have to be aware you have to fight if it ever materialises again. You have to be aware of periods of significant self-pity (for whatever reason that occurs) and any influence of drugs or alcohol that can drag your mind into an area you would otherwise be able to avoid entering.

When I was a kid there was the campaign that taking LSD made you think you could fly, and people apparently jumped off buildings to their death. It was obviously bollocks and it never put anybody off. I always knew that when I was tripping if I ever thought I could fly I fucking couldn't, and it would just be the acid talking. This never happened, though, obviously but it's maybe something to bear in mind - if you ever feel like taking action again, it's just the condition talking. You need to recognise that, and remember it effects loads of people and you can always beat it. Always.

It might take medical help, or the appropriate support and love of those around you. Understanding how you feel, and why, is very important too.

Our minds are pretty crazy things. We are all pretty crazy in our own way, and do pretty crazy things in our lives sometimes, it's the nature of being a human. The key is to recognise that some things are not as important as you think and can be overcome or, alternatively, you can obtain medical assistance if that's what's required.

You might want to change your user ID, too, as a start :)

Your GP can arrange counselling, as you'll probably know, bud.

Yes.

I've had a relapse but have found that the counselling has given me the confidence and the know-how to keep on top of the depression.

Lets be fair about it. Its a hellish affliction which I would't wish on my worst enemy.

Yes.

I've had a relapse but have found that the counselling has given me the confidence and the know-how to keep on top of the depression.

Lets be fair about it. Its a hellish affliction which I would't wish on my worst enemy.

True, mate - it must be hard for people who've never suffered from depression to know what it's like.

Stick in, mate - you've beat it before, and you'll beat it again.

Yes.

This is the worst thing about it for me.

I've had medical help etc but I know that it'll never be something I can be rid of completely. It always comes back. I worry quite often that it'll end up being the death of me.

This is the worst thing about it for me.

I've had medical help etc but I know that it'll never be something I can be rid of completely. It always comes back. I worry quite often that it'll end up being the death of me.

No chance, mate - I think you're right to say that you never get rid of it completely, but you have to keep finding ways of dealing with it, which you've done before - that means you'll do it again - and as often as is necessary.

Stick in, mate!

Edited by paranoid android

i wouldn't wish depression upon anybody

i feel like im slipping back into it which would be a major step-back

not gonna go fully into it but basically ive been there before with good reason & i would advise anyone who thinks they have it/are on the road to it , to talk to someone about everything

once its off your chest things start on a slow road to better

ETA: ive never been to the doctors or that about it (im not a doctors kinda person)

the thing you need to do is the hardest thing to do ! dont lash out at family & friends as they are the ones who will help you through it (but the ones you will lash out at first)

Edited by itzdrk

Had really bad spells of this over 20 years ago on and off for about 3 years. If all you see is gloom and darkness ahead just hang on and eventually there will be a light at the end of the tunnel.

this!

I think it is a very debilitating experience for anyone who goes through it. It can be caused by either chemical imbalances or underlying psychological reasons. It is something that is easy to laugh at but like a stone on your back when you have to deal with it.

Thank you for speaking up.

And before the wise crackers start their shit. I am an ex infantry soldier and have suffered for many years with something called PTSD. The biggest, toughest b*****ds you will ever meet can by crushed by mental health problems. But sharing with others and understanding you are not alone can be a hugely beneficial experience.

I'm not cracking wise but I want to know in the context of mental health what you think a chemical imbalance is and, conversely, what a chemical balance is. I don't think the latter actually exists, so I question the existence of the former.

This isn't to say that depression isn't something that can be treated by medication (of course it can) but the idea of restoring balance is pretty meaningless.

My dad suffers from it, and while its easy for me to say I don't have to put it with it because I don't live with him anymore, it's not that simple. I speak to him (and my mum) at least twice a week. I was really worried about him when my mum had cancer, but I sat him down and spoke to him and explained that If he went off the rails it wouldn't help matters and we all had to be strong.

If that worked, good, but most advice I've read indicates that the "pull yourself together" approach isn't ideal. People suffering from depression will often feel inadequate and guilty as it is.